+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What is Accelerated studies for masters program?

l4rahman

Sep 5, 2019
I am confused by the notes given in the below link. I want to complete my masters program in 3 semesters instead of 4 semesters. My university has summer semester also. So I can actually complete my 2 years of masters program within 1 year if i take 4 courses per semester. Will it count is a accelerated program and give me 3 years of PGWP? In covid time, few of the former students received 3 years of PGWP in the same way. I am just not convinced if it is a covid perks or accelerated study?

Determining the length of the post-graduation work permit
The validity period of the post-graduation work permit may not go beyond the applicant’s passport validity date. If the applicant’s passport expires before the validity period of the post-graduation work permit, the officer should note this reason in the “Notes” box, in the Global Case Management System. The post-graduation work permit applicant then has to apply for a work permit extension upon the renewal of their passport to receive the full validity of their post-graduation work permit.

Post-graduation work permits can be extended only when the length of the permit could not be provided at the time of the application, due to the expiry date of the applicant’s passport.

Accelerated studies
If a student completes their studies in less time than the normal length of the program (that is, they have accelerated their studies), the post-graduation work permit should be assessed on the length of the program of study.

For example, if the student is enrolled in a program of study that is normally 1 year in duration, but the student completes the requirements for the program of study within 8 months, they may be eligible for a post-graduation work permit that is valid for 1 year.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/post-graduation-work-permit-program/permit.html#determining