+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What if my circumstances change?

wendykroy

Oct 3, 2007
I've applied for Skilled Worker immigration to Canada on my own as a single person, but only a short time ago.

Now it looks like my boyfriend and I might move in together, and we're talking about going together. How can we do this - and CAN we do this?

I thought it might be as simple as getting in touch with the Visa Office to say my circumstances have changed and adding mr wendykroy as a dependant family member (because my points add up to more than his). Once we move in together he'd be my common-law partner. Am I right or is it more complicated? Will his points be assessed if he's a dependant or will he just have to pass criminal record and health checks?

Long time lurker, first time poster - so thanks for the help!

mc_dub

Aug 18, 2007
in order to be common-law under Canadian law you'd have to have lived together (and prove it) for 12 months. This can be done by joint accounts, bills in both names, a letter from the landlord and so on dating back 12 months from when you notify them of the change

wendykroy

Oct 3, 2007
Thankyou! So just to clarify, should we move in together then wait a year before we let them know, or should we move in together then let them know straight away? I figure either way we'll be OK for time, because it's going be around three years before my application is processed, according to the guide on the London High Commission website.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

wendykroy said:
Thankyou! So just to clarify, should we move in together then wait a year before we let them know, or should we move in together then let them know straight away? I figure either way we'll be OK for time, because it's going be around three years before my application is processed, according to the guide on the London High Commission website.
Wait until you are actually considered common/law for immigration purposes, before amending your application. If you actually you applied under SAP, (Simplified Application Process) then there is nothing to amend or to tell until CHC requests the actual application in 3/4 years time.

PMM