+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens when a permanent resident returns to Canada without PRcard or PRTD?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I've never tried, but presumably you'd be denied entry because you have no proof that you have the right to be in the country.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
You will need to show COPR to border agent. You won't be denied entry without PR card as you will be a PR and has every right to enter Canada. PR card or PRTD or any valid visa is only needed to board airplane, boat, rail or bus to Canada. But if you are walking across border, or driving into Canada, or carry a passport from visa exempt countries, then you can come and enter Canada easily.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
If you want to fly, there is a good chance you won't be allowed to board the plane. If you cross by land, COPR should be enough.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Sorry, I live in Australia, so I completely forgot that it was possible to get to Canada by any means other than plane :p

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
Swim or go by boat??? 8) 8) 8)

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
istari said:
I've never tried, but presumably you'd be denied entry because you have no proof that you have the right to be in the country.
Nope, as previously said, PRs have the right to enter Canada so they can't be denied entry by CBSA at all... CBSA can simply look it up in their records.

It's just that commercial carriers (air, land, water) will deny them boarding, if they are non-visa exempt. That's why a private car is the officially sanctioned workaround if using a COPR. There are, of course, a few cases of people on this forum managing to find loopholes by boarding with a visa-exempt passport or valid TRVs acquired prior to getting COPR.

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
bellaluna said:
Nope, as previously said, PRs have the right to enter Canada so they can't be denied entry by CBSA at all... CBSA can simply look it up in their records.

It's just that commercial carriers (air, land, water) will deny them boarding, if they are non-visa exempt. That's why a private car is the officially sanctioned workaround if using a COPR. There are, of course, a few cases of people on this forum managing to find loopholes by boarding with a visa-exempt passport or valid TRVs acquired prior to getting COPR.
Thanks, good to know.