+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if you fail the test ?

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Hello,

Im really worried about taking the test.If you fail the test the first time you get a second chance snd if you fail again you appear in front a judge and you do an oral exam what happens if you fail again ? Do you have to restart the application from the start ?
Thank you so much

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hello,

Im really worried about taking the test.If you fail the test the first time you get a second chance snd if you fail again you appear in front a judge and you do an oral exam what happens if you fail again ? Do you have to restart the application from the start ?
Thank you so much
1. You'll have to try hard to fail the test. The test is not that difficult.
2. The second attempt, you'll be taking an oral test over MS teams with a citizenship official.
3. If you fail the second time, you'll have to appear before a citizenship judge who will test you again (presumably orally). This process, AFAIK, has been postponed because of COVID-19. You might have to wait a long time if it gets to this stage.
4. If you fail the test a third time, your citizenship application will refused. You'll lose most of the fee (you'll only get $100 back). You will have to start the process from scratch again.

I've seen you post too many times about your worries / repeated questions about the test. This isn't a PhD thesis you are defending. The test is not that hard, honestly and there is no need to overthink and be this pessimistic about it IMO. Applicants are for sure a little nervous before the test, I'm sure I was but the inordinate amounts of fear you are exhibiting isn't really necessary IMO.

Prepare well and you'll likely pass the test in the first attempt.

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
1. You'll have to try hard to fail the test. The test is not that difficult.
2. The second attempt, you'll be taking an oral test over MS teams with a citizenship official.
3. If you fail the second time, you'll have to appear before a citizenship judge who will test you again (presumably orally). This process, AFAIK, has been postponed because of COVID-19. You might have to wait a long time if it gets to this stage.
4. If you fail the test a third time, your citizenship application will refused. You'll lose most of the fee (you'll only get $100 back). You will have to start the process from scratch again.

I've seen you post too many times about your worries / repeated questions about the test. This isn't a PhD thesis you are defending. The test is not that hard, honestly and there is no need to overthink and be this pessimistic about it IMO. Applicants are for sure a little nervous before the test, I'm sure I was but the inordinate amounts of fear you are exhibiting isn't really necessary IMO.

Prepare well and you'll likely pass the test in the first attempt.
Thank you :) really sorry this is just important for me !!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Thank you :) really sorry this is just important for me !!
You don't have to be sorry, I'm not accusing you of anything. I'm just asking you to try and relax, de-stress and take the test with a clear mind and a positive attitude.

Wish you the best, please post an update once you take the test.

Good luck!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
3. If you fail the second time, you'll have to appear before a citizenship judge who will test you again (presumably orally).
Minor clarification: The third retest (if and when necessary, when this process resumes) takes place before a Citizenship Officer. Since 2014 the role of a Citizenship Judge has been largely limited to administering the oath and conducting hearings in cases where the applicant's actual physical presence is in question. And yes, it is (at least typically) an orally administered test, and typically is NOT multiple choice.

Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
Minor clarification: The third retest (if and when necessary, when this process resumes) takes place before a Citizenship Officer. Since 2014 the role of a Citizenship Judge has been largely limited to administering the oath and conducting hearings in cases where the applicant's actual physical presence is in question. And yes, it is (at least typically) an orally administered test, and typically is NOT multiple choice.
Someone told me that they failed 3 times and were given an interview without exam questions and passed. I think this information is wrong ?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Someone told me that they failed 3 times and were given an interview without exam questions and passed. I think this information is wrong ?
Not sure where you got that information from. There is no escaping the test, so to speak. Either you take the test and pass it or if you fail, you'll answer the questions of a citizenship official orally.

Last edited:

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
If you read the book, you'd have to try hard to fail it. I spent a few days reading and testing myself. It is not hard and I was kind of annoyed that I studied as hard as I did. Got 20/20.
That’s awesome !! Thank you