+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What happens if you dont apply for citizenship after the 5 years?

ihaveadog

Apr 7, 2018
Hi All,

I have a question regarding the citizenship time frame.

I have a family member who's entitled to apply for their citizenship, but they refuse as they don't need it as they are all set(don't ask me why I'm questioning it myself.)

My question is if 5 years do pass since you got your PR and don't apply, can you still apply later on?

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Hi All,

I have a family member who's entitled to apply for their citizenship, but they refuse as they don't need it as they are all set(don't ask me why I'm questioning it myself.)

My question is if 5 years do pass since you got your PR and don't apply, can you still apply later on?
Nothing will happen and life will move on just fine. Applying for citizenship is a choice, not an obligation. They can still apply later on if they change their mind.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Hi All,

Eligibility is based on last 5 years from the date of application. So everyday we loose one day in residency qualification.
Also one should be on PR status till oath, not only just meeting 3 years out of 5 years, also to be maintaining 2 years out of 5 years till oath.

ybjianada

Sep 6, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
Passed on 24-01-2016
Passport Req..
06-12-2016
VISA ISSUED...
23-12-2016
No you can't. You have only one chance. If you miss it, that's it!

• Haha
Reactions: rajkamalmohanram

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Hi All,

They could, but only the last 5-year period from the date of applying are considered. So, if 5 years passed and they were eligible but didn't apply, and then another 5 years passed, they could be not eligible to apply if they didn't meet the requirements in these last 5 years.

Reactions: mra711

salem10

Jul 6, 2010
Ontario, since 2006
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
0711/4131/4121
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
10-05-2010
Doc's Request.
Nov 02, 2010
AOR Received.
May 19, 2011 from buffalo
IELTS Request
submitted writtin sample (accepted)
Med's Request
April 14, 2012
Med's Done....
June 10, 2011, again in May 02, 2012 -medical furtherance June29-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
20-06-2015
They could, but only the last 5-year period from the date of applying are considered. So, if 5 years passed and they were eligible but didn't apply, and then another 5 years passed, they could be not eligible to apply if they didn't meet the requirements in these last 5 years.
Not exactly correct or not explained correctly. Any PR can apply for citizenship as they meet residency requirements in the past 5 years no matter how old PR. Even your pr is 20 years old and you apply now , it okay. No hurry to apply for citizenship.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Not exactly correct or not explained correctly. Any PR can apply for citizenship as they meet residency requirements in the past 5 years no matter how old PR. Even your pr is 20 years old and you apply now , it okay. No hurry to apply for citizenship.
That's what I said, though, and I think it was explained clearly.

popek90

Star Member
Jul 8, 2020
It was not, it made me think that you lose your right to apply after some time.
And now I am super confused, as I thought you can do it any time if you are still PR and planning to be in Canada.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Sorry but your post wasn't very clear and it was confusing.

Anyone can apply for citizenship if they meet these factors :

They are currently a PR of Canada.
They have a physical presence of 3 years in the past 5 years in Canada.
They have filed tax returns for the years they were supposed to file a return in the past 5 years.
They are not prohibited from applying for citizenship.

"So, if 5 years passed and they were eligible but didn't apply, and then another 5 years passed, they could be not eligible to apply if they didn't meet the requirements in these last 5 years"

The statement above is confusing.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
Sorry but your post wasn't very clear and it was confusing.

Anyone can apply for citizenship if they meet these factors :

They are currently a PR of Canada.
They have a physical presence of 3 years in the past 5 years in Canada.
They have filed tax returns for the years they were supposed to file a return in the past 5 years.
They are not prohibited from applying for citizenship.

"So, if 5 years passed and they were eligible but didn't apply, and then another 5 years passed, they could be not eligible to apply if they didn't meet the requirements in these last 5 years"

The statement above is confusing.
What I am saying basically is that in the next 5 years period I was talking about, they could leave Canada for example, and not meet the requirements, or may have a criminal record that prevents them from being eligible even if they stay in Canada all the time, although they might have been eligible in the first 5 years period.

Reactions: mra711

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
It was not, it made me think that you lose your right to apply after some time.
And now I am super confused, as I thought you can do it any time if you are still PR and planning to be in Canada.
I said they "could be" not eligible. It's a possibility that they wouldn't meet the requirements after some time, and thus not bein eligible, even if they were eligible before but they didn't apply.

In summary, if you are eligible to apply now but you didn't, doesn't mean you will be eligible in the future, because only the last 5 years period before applying is considered. That all I am saying.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
What I am saying basically is that in the next 5 years period I was talking about, they could leave Canada for example, and not meet the requirements, or may have a criminal record that prevents them from being eligible even if they stay in Canada all the time, although they might have been eligible in the first 5 years period.
But that was not the context in which the OP was asking the question. The OP simply wanted to know if one can apply for citizenship at a later time if they don't apply for it within 5 years of establishing Permanent Residency and the answer to that is "Yes". The applicant will obviously have to satisfy the eligibility criteria whenever they apply.

Anyway, cool, now that the answer has been clarified to the OP, we can move on.

CaBeaver

Champion Member
Dec 15, 2018
But that was not the context in which the OP was asking the question. The OP simply wanted to know if one can apply for citizenship at a later time if they don't apply for it within 5 years of establishing Permanent Residency and the answer to that is "Yes". The applicant will obviously have to satisfy the eligibility criteria whenever they apply.

Anyway, cool, now that the answer has been clarified to the OP, we can move on.
Actually, it was precisely what the OP asked about. They asked

and my answer was

They could (i.e., yes!!!), but only the last 5-year period from the date of applying are considered. So, if 5 years passed and they were eligible but didn't apply (which was what the OP about about above), and then another 5 years passed, they could be not eligible to apply if they didn't meet the requirements in these last 5 years.
Now move on

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Actually, it was precisely what the OP asked about. They asked

and my answer was

Now move on
Multiple people were confused with what you said. Not just me. So, yeah, may be it was actually confusing but you are convinced it wasn't. Nothing more to say there.

Anyway, thanks for your attempt at assisting others. That's good.