+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what exactly qualifies as social assistance

Alilk

Aug 7, 2008
Hi guys,

I am a little puzzled trying to figure out what qualifies as social assistance and what does not.. I am a permanent resident, currently residing in Calgary, AB. I have been living in a subsidized housing (paying 1/3 of my monthly income, which is basically my university scholarship)and my health insurance has been covered as well...I am planning to get married and bring someone from Iran. Should I first opt out of my benefits in order to submit my application? As I also understand I do not need to have a recurring income in order to bring my fiancee...

Your help will be greatly appreciated,
Thanks!

Albert

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
They only ask for welfare social assistance as far as I am concerned and I have filled the application recently. Nowhere do they ask about housing charges or anything. Anyone else knows anything about subsidized housing?

Alilk

Aug 7, 2008
Anatolia said:
They only ask for welfare social assistance as far as I am concerned and I have filled the application recently. Nowhere do they ask about housing charges or anything. Anyone else knows anything about subsidized housing?
Hi Anatolia,

Do you remember having any question about health insurance assistance? To my understanding this is a kind of social assistance as well, don't you think so? I honestly searched a lot, and noone could say anything definite about it...

Albert

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In the immigration and refugee protection regulations, social assistance is defined as:

"social assistance" means any benefit in the form of money, goods or services provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance, including a program of social assistance designated by a province to provide for basic requirements including food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care, including dental care and eye care. ( assistance sociale )

Alilk

Aug 7, 2008
Leon said:
In the immigration and refugee protection regulations, social assistance is defined as:

"social assistance" means any benefit in the form of money, goods or services provided to or on behalf of a person by a province under a program of social assistance, including a program of social assistance designated by a province to provide for basic requirements including food, shelter, clothing, fuel, utilities, household supplies, personal requirements and health care not provided by public health care, including dental care and eye care. ( assistance sociale )
Thanks, this definition still leaves a lot of room for ambiguity. In my case, subsidized housing is provided by municipality....Health insurance is a provincial support, and it is provided by public health care..So again a lot of questions here....

Do you think that even assuming that health and housing support are considered kinds of social assistance, if I could opt out from these at the time of application (and if necessary for the time during which my application is processed), I become eligible to sponsor my fiancee?

Cheers
albert

Anatolia

Star Member
Aug 1, 2008
Hi:

The application doesnt leave room for extras. There is a checkmark column that you need to check YES or NO (and I am looking it at it now).

It asks if you are in receipt of social assistance other than disability. and you are not, at least in a way that Immigration Canada is totally interested about. What I mean is, Immigration Canada even makes us agree that our spouse wont be in social assistance welfare for a few years, no? I mean it is a BIG deal. No where does it say housing subsidy qualifies.
And also the social assistance part consists of about two questions, then it continues to criminal record, undischarged bankrupcies, loans unrepaid to IC.... and other important stuff.

Plus Subsidy is not money you receive at all, plus it can change from month to month if you win money or get a raise....etc.

Also I know of one woman who brought her 3 children from Nicaragua and she had subsidy.
I hope that helps.

yppgina

Jun 24, 2008
I would write that you are not on social assistance, however if you are subsidized by the province with your rent you will lose that. Your health care provided by the province should be fine though :)

We were in the same boat.... no longer get subsidized in housing, however we do still get premium assistance with regards to our provincial health care without issue :)

Alilk

Aug 7, 2008
You are a tremendous help, Anatolia and yppgina! Can't thank enough...Let me know if you have anything new to add.

Cheers,
Albert