Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
My wife has been called to an interview. But I am not sure whether she needs to get new documents beforehand.

In the letter, the Consulate says that “It is not necessary to bring documents that are not applicable to your case or that you already submitted with the original application, then gives a list of documents that “must be brought to the interview”.

Documents specifically mentioned that cause me some uncertainty are: (1) an up-to-date Police Report; (2) a Certificate of eligibility to marry; and (3) a declaration that she understands the consequences of not declaring family members.

Is this a trap? If they have looked seriously at the application, they would know that we included a Police Report. So presumably we don’t need a new one. Right? But if we get to the interview without a new police Report, the Officer might arbitrarily declare that we need a new one and deny the visa.

Why not just get a new one? Because it re3quires a trip of more than 3000 km and 5-10 days in hotel rooms waiting for certified copies. Don’t ask why; it’s very complicated in China.

And if my wife was cleared to marry, by the fact that China registered our marriage officially, then why ask (now, so late in the game) for a Certificate of eligibility to marry? Again, I don’t think this requirement applies to our case. Right?

And regarding the declaration that she understands the consequences of not declaring family members.
she has already stated this in signing form IMM 5406 (Family Information). Writing a new declaration is no problem, but (again) getting it certified requires a long trip to her home town. Could she just sign a new IMM 5406 and her declaration in front of the interviewing officer? Surely that is just as good.

What annoys me is that they have had our application for more than a year, and then send a letter that shows they have not read it at all, or at least haven’t taken the time to tailor the list of documents to our case . Thus they leave the decisions in our hands, and if we guess wrong they can deny our visa arbitrarily.

Isn’t it their job to ask decide what documents are really necessary and tell us without mystery and confusion?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It looks pretty standard to me.

I wondered if the PCC you submitted before is still valid? I read in the other post that it has a validity for 3 months.

For the declaration, can't you get it done in the city where you living now (instead of her hometown)?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
steaky said:
It looks pretty standard to me.

I wondered if the PCC you submitted before is still valid? I read in the other post that it has a validity for 3 months.

I understood too that the Police Report must be less than 3 months old when submitted. However, once submitted, the applicant doesn't need to get another one. Ortherwise, most applicants would have to get new Police Reports because the processing time is almost always longer than 3 months.

For the declaration, can't you get it done in the city where you living now (instead of her hometown)?
No; a notary where we live said she must get her documents certified in her Hukou (home town, or nearest admin region), which is many km away.

Anyone have experience getting certifications of copies in Hong Kong?

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
My wife has been called to an interview. But I am not sure whether she needs to get new documents beforehand.

In the letter, the Consulate says that “It is not necessary to bring documents that are not applicable to your case or that you already submitted with the original application, then gives a list of documents that “must be brought to the interview”.

Documents specifically mentioned that cause me some uncertainty are: (1) an up-to-date Police Report; (2) a Certificate of eligibility to marry; and (3) a declaration that she understands the consequences of not declaring family members.

Is this a trap? If they have looked seriously at the application, they would know that we included a Police Report. So presumably we don't need a new one. Right? But if we get to the interview without a new police Report, the Officer might arbitrarily declare that we need a new one and deny the visa.

Why not just get a new one? Because it re3quires a trip of more than 3000 km and 5-10 days in hotel rooms waiting for certified copies. Don't ask why; it's very complicated in China.

And if my wife was cleared to marry, by the fact that China registered our marriage officially, then why ask (now, so late in the game) for a Certificate of eligibility to marry? Again, I don't think this requirement applies to our case. Right?

And regarding the declaration that she understands the consequences of not declaring family members.
she has already stated this in signing form IMM 5406 (Family Information). Writing a new declaration is no problem, but (again) getting it certified requires a long trip to her home town. Could she just sign a new IMM 5406 and her declaration in front of the interviewing officer? Surely that is just as good.

What annoys me is that they have had our application for more than a year, and then send a letter that shows they have not read it at all, or at least haven't taken the time to tailor the list of documents to our case . Thus they leave the decisions in our hands, and if we guess wrong they can deny our visa arbitrarily.

Isn't it their job to ask decide what documents are really necessary and tell us without mystery and confusion?
Hi toby,

It's common for updated police certificates to be requested at the time of interview if it's been more than 6 months since the application started processing. She needs a new one (original) to take with her to the interview. She does NOT require certified copies. However, the PCC needs a certified translation if it is not in English or French.

Regarding the Declaration (IMM 5604), she can sign this in front of ANY notary public. However, if you have a copy of the one already included in the application, she could bring that and advise them that they already have the original on file.

I am not sure about the certificate of eligibility to marry. Was this something she had to get before you got married? Again, perhaps she has a copy of this and can bring it with her (and a certified translation).

I have no experience with this embassy but have heard from colleagues that it is a strict one. I will try to get more information for you. Also, do you have enough time to order the CAIPS before the interview?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Hong Kong, you go to the Police Headquarters in Wanchai to get the PCC. The PCC are in both English and Chinese, so you won't need a translator.

For notary public services, check up the Hong Kong Yellow pages. Usually law firms.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
rjessome said:
Hi toby,

It's common for updated police certificates to be requested at the time of interview if it's been more than 6 months since the application started processing. She needs a new one (original) to take with her to the interview. She does NOT require certified copies. However, the PCC needs a certified translation if it is not in English or French.

Dang; that means she must go to Wuhan (1200 km away), and wait 3-4 days in a hotel room for the document to be delivered to her so she can get it certified there.

Second, if they definitely do require a new Police Certificate, why not just say so? Why create uncertainty by saying that we need not provide documents (possibly the original Police Report) already included with the Application?

Third, I don't believe I have ever read in this forum that an applicant had to renew the Police Report. Did I just miss it?

Regarding the Declaration (IMM 5604), she can sign this in front of ANY notary public. However, if you have a copy of the one already included in the application, she could bring that and advise them that they already have the original on file.

OK; I think we have a copy. And even if not, if bringing the application copy would suffice, so should signing a new IMM 5406 in front of the interview Officer, right?

I am not sure about the certificate of eligibility to marry. Was this something she had to get before you got married?
Again, perhaps she has a copy of this and can bring it with her (and a certified translation).

Nope, she did not have to get one. China required one from me, but not from her -- having the means to check her status themselves, I suppose. To get one now would require her to to to Enshi, 1100 km away and again wait in a hotel room for several days .... (After marriage I don't see what purpose the certificate serves, to have her swear eligibility to marry when she has already so testified by marrying.)

And again, if this certificate is definitely required, why introduce uncertainty by saying that we don't need to bring documents that don't apply to her case? Why not just say clearly which new documents are required?
[/color
]

I have no experience with this embassy but have heard from colleagues that it is a strict one. I will try to get more information for you. Also, do you have enough time to order the CAIPS before the interview?

Yes, I will get the CAIPS notes. But will the notes tell me whether Hong Kong really wants those documents? And, could I order them now, in time to decide more firmly about the documents? Would Hong Kong Consulate's thinking already be in the notes?

Thanks for your great help, Rjessome.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby,

My husband had to get a new police certificate as well to bring to his interview. Sorry. :(

Again, having no experience with this embassy, what do you mean get the police certificate "certified"? Reading through the guides for this embassy does not tell me anything about getting the PCC certified. Is this a Chinese thing?

I will try to find out from one of my colleagues who are familiar with this visa post about the certificate of eligibility to marry.

The copy of the IMM 5604 should suffice. This form says it must be witnessed by a Notary Public and VO's are not notaries so I can't say with certainty that signing it in front of the VO will be ok. However, she could get it done at any notary in Hong Kong.

You need at least 5 to 6 weeks between ordering the CAIPS and the interview to get them in time to review them. Are you in China? If you are, PM me and I will help you get the CAIPS. The notes should tell you what the officer's thoughts were during the paper screen and why an interview was invoked.

You are right about saying with certainty what they need and what they don't. Send a fax to the embassy asking them exactly what they need her to bring. Advise them that they already have documents X, Y and Z on file and ask for clarification of what is outstanding or needs to be updated.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
rjessome said:
toby,

Again, having no experience with this embassy, what do you mean get the police certificate "certified"? Reading through the guides for this embassy does not tell me anything about getting the PCC certified. Is this a Chinese thing?

Sorry: I misread the letter. They want originals OR certified copies. But they do want the translation into English/French to be certified.

I will try to find out from one of my colleagues who are familiar with this visa post about the certificate of eligibility to marry.
Thanks; that would be extremely helpful.

The copy of the IMM 5604 should suffice. This form says it must be witnessed by a Notary Public and VO's are not notaries so I can't say with certainty that signing it in front of the VO will be ok. However, she could get it done at any notary in Hong Kong.

If you`re sure about being ab.ole to get notarization-certification in Hong Kong, this will simplify things greatly. It was an unpleasant surprise to find out that she cannot get certifications where we live in mainland China – only in her home town (a long distance away).

You need at least 5 to 6 weeks between ordering the CAIPS and the interview to get them in time to review them. Are you in China? If you are, PM me and I will help you get the CAIPS. The notes should tell you what the officer's thoughts were during the paper screen and why an interview was invoked.

The last time I ordered CAIPS notes, Rjessome, the firm I used emailed them to me three weeks after my request. Is your procedure better?

You are right about saying with certainty what they need and what they don't. Send a fax to the embassy asking them exactly what they need her to bring. Advise them that they already have documents X, Y and Z on file and ask for clarification of what is outstanding or needs to be updated.
Did that today. Thanks for the suggestions.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Well, I am quick to criticize, so to be fair I should also be ready to compliment good service.

You may remember that we received a letter from the Hong Kong Consulate General, listing some documents, telling us to bring them to an interview in April, but then saying not not to bring documents already included with the original application, and documents not applying to our case.

My concern stemmed from the fact that we were being left to decide which of the listed documents to bring, because if we guessed wrong, our application might be denied at the interview.

Well, I put my reasoning why certain documents were NOT required, and asked Hong Kong to confirm or correct my reasoning. They agreed: no Police Report required, and no Certificate of Eligibility to Marry required
I was rather pleased that they replied, and rather speedily.

So, kudos to Hong Kong.

rjessome

VIP Member
Feb 24, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
toby said:
Well, I am quick to criticize, so to be fair I should also be ready to compliment good service.

You may remember that we received a letter from the Hong Kong Consulate General, listing some documents, telling us to bring them to an interview in April, but then saying not not to bring documents already included with the original application, and documents not applying to our case.

My concern stemmed from the fact that we were being left to decide which of the listed documents to bring, because if we guessed wrong, our application might be denied at the interview.

Well, I put my reasoning why certain documents were NOT required, and asked Hong Kong to confirm or correct my reasoning. They agreed: no Police Report required, and no Certificate of Eligibility to Marry required
I was rather pleased that they replied, and rather speedily.

So, kudos to Hong Kong.
Nice toby. And even nicer that you got some great information from others who have gone through this experience with the same embassy. That's invaluable. Good luck at the interview! I'm sure you and your wife will do great.