+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What do you bring with you to the border when landing as a PR?

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Am just curious.

What do they normally ask you to bring with you to verify the PR status?

Guess I am just hoping that one day this will be me and all I will have to do is to cross the border.
I wish for that day so bad like so many others do. We deserve it. Every single one of us on here does. Just my opinion.

Keep your hopes up and I will try to do the same even though I am still in the exhaustive part of putting the application together but I am still trying to keep my hopes up that this will all be worth it in the end and that there is such a thing as a happy ending.

I mean, a happy life with the one you love is possible right? I really hope so because there is nothing I want more in life then to accomplish this.

shamrock

Star Member
Feb 13, 2009
After they request your passport and you are approved, they will mail the COPR, instructions for landing and your passport with PR visa inside. Other than those two things all you are required to bring is your birth certificate, though I'm not sure they always ask for this but they asked to see mine. That is all that is required to land, but you will probably also want to bring your personal belongings, any other ID, diplomas, letters of reference for when you're looking for a job etc.

Also if you bring a vehicle from the US you are required to export it from the US and import it into Canada...which is a pain in the hiney from what I hear, which is why I just sold my car and my wife and I bought a new one in Canada.

Try not to have a negative attitude about it all, it's a lot of red tape but in the end it will likely be only 6 months to a year of your life and chances are very good if you provide plenty of proof it will all work out fine.

ColorMePanda

Sep 12, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shamrock said:
After they request your passport and you are approved, they will mail the COPR, instructions for landing and your passport with PR visa inside. Other than those two things all you are required to bring is your birth certificate, though I'm not sure they always ask for this but they asked to see mine. That is all that is required to land, but you will probably also want to bring your personal belongings, any other ID, diplomas, letters of reference for when you're looking for a job etc.

Also if you bring a vehicle from the US you are required to export it from the US and import it into Canada...which is a pain in the hiney from what I hear, which is why I just sold my car and my wife and I bought a new one in Canada.

Try not to have a negative attitude about it all, it's a lot of red tape but in the end it will likely be only 6 months to a year of your life and chances are very good if you provide plenty of proof it will all work out fine.
Glad to hear you have a success story. Yeah I am trying to keep positive about this all and believe that if this is all meant to be, it will happen. And it may not be as fast as we want it or as easy as we would like but I got to believe that it will happen for us. It really does make me feel more hope reading and seeing all the success there is just on this forum let alone the world. And yeah about the car, I have a truck but I think I will do just the same and sell it. I have a good chance of getting a good amount of money for it as well. It is a '94 chevy s10 extended cab truck with new tires and paint. I am only the second owner, the first was a car dealer, and it only has about 17,000 miles on it. So if I need the extra money for when I become a PR then I guess I will be selling my truck. :)

rorita_76

Feb 11, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
July-3-2009
Hey there, when landing as PR, you need your passport with your visa stamped on it, the COPR, list of accompagnying goods and list of goods to follow. About the birth certificate, nor sure. In my case they asked to see my passport, and the COPR only. If you plan to bring your car, there is special form that you need to fill.

ariell

Oct 9, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Aren't you kind of getting ahead of yourself here? ;-) You haven't even applied yet! I'm concerned about all the worrying and negativity that comes through your posts. It's really not all doom and gloom. The majority of people who put together a good application are approved. Stay POSITIVE!!!!

nyssa

May 14, 2009
Midwest, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, USA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-07-2010
AOR Received.
22-09-10
Med's Done....
09-01-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
06-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
06-11-2010
LANDED..........
06-01-2011
Hehe, it's funny, all of my anxiety is towards just visiting and being let through, hardly the sponsorship. I understand why you're being so negative, I haven't even applied for mine yet either, and I was there!! Then I just read through the forums, tried to understand why the people who were denied were denied and how I could best avoid that, etc. It really will be okay. And if not, here's what my fiancee and I decided, if no other country will let us be together, we'll live on a boat out at sea ;-) Kidding of course, but you know, the point is, if you really love each other and want to make it work, you'll figure that out, no matter what it takes! Best of luck to you!