+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what do i need to be considered a PR & be able to sponsor my family

Chantale

May 21, 2011
Hello everybody,

I am a PR from 2 years, i just lived few months in Canada but presently i am outside, when do i need to fulfill to be considered as a PR and therefore to be able to apply to sponsor my family .
Many thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As PR, you need to be IN CANADA in order to apply to sponsor your family.

As for maintaining your PR:

As per the Immigration Act Pursuant to A28(2), a permanent resident complies with the residency obligation provisions with
respect to a five-year period if, for at least 730 days in that five-year period, the permanent resident is physically present in Canada, or:
• is outside Canada accompanying a Canadian citizen who is their spouse or common-law partner or is a child accompanying a parent;
• is outside Canada employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province;
• is an accompanying spouse, common-law partner or child of a permanent resident who is outside Canada and is employed on a full-time basis by a Canadian business or in the public service of Canada or of a province.

Chantale

May 21, 2011
Thanks for ur reply ....

There is nothing that can be done to able me to sponsor my family such as opening my own business and to be run by someone there and having my own address , coz i am really in need to stay outside canada to finish my work contract and need my family to go the and settle in Canada .... for sure i will have my PR card valid during all this time ...

thanks again

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Chantale said:
Thanks for ur reply ....

There is nothing that can be done to able me to sponsor my family such as opening my own business and to be run by someone there and having my own address , coz i am really in need to stay outside canada to finish my work contract and need my family to go the and settle in Canada .... for sure i will have my PR card valid during all this time ...

thanks again
Nope, you have to be in Canada, period.

Chantale

May 21, 2011
Can i ask another question please :

i am a PR living presently outside canada, Can my wife apply for the immigration visa seperately ? there will be any risk on my status being a PR and didnt sponsor my family ?

thks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If she qualifies to apply, she can apply. It is her right to apply. It is not your duty to sponsor her, besides, it is not even an option for you at the moment because you do not live in Canada.