+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

what are the Ways to settle in canada after 1 year Post Grad Course

ug83

Star Member
Apr 23, 2011
Hi Friend,

i am just starting this thread to get to know that what are the chances one can permanently settle in Canada if student is taking one year course.......

i.e is that one year i.e 8 months Post Grad Work permit enough to find a suitable job in Canada....and what if you couldn't find any job in those 8 months......what are the other legal ways to settle there.....

All those who are in Canada especially please participate as this will help alot others for their future.

regards

Reactions: Mary-SK

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is better if you take a two year course and get a 3 year work permit because with 2 years studies and 1 year work, you qualify to apply under CEC. The processing time is 11 months so you would get your PR before your work permit expires and in case you don't find a suitable employer right away, you are not pressed for time.

If you take a one year course, it is possible that you qualify for PNP immigration along with a job offer after graduation and possibly some time of work, but then you would have only a 1 year work permit. You would have to find the suitable employer right away and get them to apply asap and you still might end up with a problem when your work permit expires. If your PNP nomination is not through yet at that point, you would need an LMO and it is not guaranteed that the employer can get one.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Onoff said:

What is the diffrence between PR and Citizen ship In canada ?
If you are not born a citizen, you must get PR before you can get citizenship. A PR allows you to live, work and study in Canada. You can not vote and there are certain government jobs you can not get. There are certain things that can cause you to lose your PR, mainly if you commit a crime, if they find out you lied on your PR application or if you are outside Canada for 1095 days or more total over some 5 year period.

It is also possible to lose citizenship if they find out you lied on your PR or citizenship application.

Onoff

Jun 1, 2011
If you are not born a citizen, you must get PR before you can get citizenship. A PR allows you to live, work and study in Canada. You can not vote and there are certain government jobs you can not get. There are certain things that can cause you to lose your PR, mainly if you commit a crime, if they find out you lied on your PR application or if you are outside Canada for 1095 days or more total over some 5 year period.

It is also possible to lose citizenship if they find out you lied on your PR or citizenship application.
Thanx... very usefull info
My another que is .. If International student get PR ... and after getting PR ..If he wants to study Further in Canada ..
will he treated as International student ..Like as higher fees applicable other international students . ?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If an international student gets PR, he will pay the lower fees like any other PR.

Kaushik Roy

Star Member
Jun 30, 2011
Calcutta
Category........
Visa Office......
Calcutta
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2011
IELTS Request
31-12-2010 || Overall 8.0
Med's Done....
12-07-2011
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
03-08-2011
LANDED..........
Hopefully soon....
I would love to do further studies after i get my PR :) with lesser fees :eek: wow!!

supreeth

Jul 18, 2012
Hello all,

Iam new to this forum and seeking for valuable help from the seniors.

To breif,we are planning to settle in canada and in that intention we are checking for all doors that are opened now.At present,we found that higher studies in Canada is one possibility ways to settle in canada.so can you please help me on this also i have Btech degree and have professional 5 years experience in IT and my spouse is MBA and have 6 years professional exp in SAP?

1.Should I enroll for 1 year or 2 year study course?

2.Shall I sponsor my dependant spouse while starting my study course there?

3.My spouse would be eligible to work there for full time/permanent jobs as asual in India during my course study there??(Very important point to clarify)

4.What is the chances of success for PR after my period of studies there?(Again very important bcz finally our intention is PR)

Thanks once again for reading this and lookin for valuable helps.

ziasaheb

Star Member
May 14, 2012
Question remains the same. 1 yr program wud get 8 months work permit. What to do to settle in canada then

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
supreeth said:
1.Should I enroll for 1 year or 2 year study course?

2.Shall I sponsor my dependant spouse while starting my study course there?

3.My spouse would be eligible to work there for full time/permanent jobs as asual in India during my course study there??(Very important point to clarify)

4.What is the chances of success for PR after my period of studies there?(Again very important bcz finally our intention is PR)
1. A 2 yr. program is better because it gives you more time to qualify and more options to apply.

2. It is not called sponsorship when your husband applies for an open work permit based on your study permit but he can apply for that, yes.

3. If you and your husband can prove that you do not plan to overstay in Canada (normal requirements for a temporary permit), your husband can get an open work permit based on your study permit. This allows him to work full time for any employer.

4. Much better with a 2 year study course. Your husband with the open work permit can try to find a good employer who will sponsor him (and then you too) for PR through a Provincial nominee program. He could also after 2 years of skilled work apply for PR for you both through Canadian experience class. You could after graduating and getting a post grad work permit get a skilled job and work 1 more year and then qualify to apply under Canadian experience class or you get your employer to sponsor you under PNP.

It would also be a good idea for you to apply for an off campus work permit after 6 months of studying. This open work permit will allow you to work for any employer up to 20 hours a week during the semester and full time during holidays. After graduating, you may work full time on this permit while you wait for your post-grad permit.

Note that when you transfer from study visa to a post-grad work permit, your husband can only get his open work permit extended if your job is skilled. If you were unable to find a skilled job, your husband would have to get a labour market opinion in order to get his own work permit.

vivek.rana

Mar 19, 2012
Hi Leon,

I am in a big confusion about the course selection. I want to go for a 2 year course so that I qualify for a 3 year PGWP. Below is my profile in brief:

10th - 84.4%
12th - 81%
Bachelor of Engg. - 71.7%
Work Experience - Almost 6 years in IT (software application development/maintenance/support)

Now I don't want to continue working in IT and move to business management field. So I thought of doing a 2 year graduate certificate course in business (Like GBM from Humber or Cenetenial). GBM is a general business course and opens doors for a variety of careers in the business field.

I have read lots of posts in this forum and now I am confused about what should I do :(. My ultimate goal is to change my field of work and get PR in Canada. I have few questions:

1. Is it better to study at a university than at a college?
2. Does a certificate/diploma from a college has got no value in the job market?
3. Should I select a course related to my previous education/ work experience, otherwise study visa would be rejected? But as I said, I want to change my career track, what other options do I have?

Thanks.