+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What are my options to return to Canada with a baby?

Jim11

Aug 24, 2012
Hello,

Me with my wife recieved a PR and first landed in Canada in Nov 2009, and we stayed only for a week, afterwards we left because my wife had to finish her University.
Now after almost 3 years we have a son born outside Canada. How can we come back to Canada?

My plan currently:
1) To come back in September, will they let me trough at the airport?
2) My wife has a PR but my baby son does not have a PR, so I want to come to Canada and apply for sponsorship for my son, how long will it take them to do a PR for my son in Russia? Do I have a chance of getting reported if I apply for sponsorship? What will happen if I get reported?

Thanks For any advice you could give me!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jim11 said:
Hello,

Me with my wife recieved a PR and first landed in Canada in Nov 2009, and we stayed only for a week, afterwards we left because my wife had to finish her University.
Now after almost 3 years we have a son born outside Canada. How can we come back to Canada?

My plan currently:
1) To come back in September, will they let me trough at the airport?
2) My wife has a PR but my baby son does not have a PR, so I want to come to Canada and apply for sponsorship for my son, how long will it take them to do a PR for my son in Russia? Do I have a chance of getting reported if I apply for sponsorship? What will happen if I get reported?

Thanks For any advice you could give me!

1. As you would still have over 2 years to meet the residency requirements, you would be admitted.
2. You would have to sponsor the child and more than likely would have to sponsor your spouse, as it would appear that she is will not be in compliance with her residency requirements.
3. If CHC only requires the child to be sponsored, it would be reasonably quick as no background/criminal/minimal medical, no x-ray or blood tests. So 86 days Mississauga, maybe 6/7 months Moscow. If they insist you include your spouse, the 80% of the applications are taking 13 months.
4. You could apply for a TRV for the child at Moscow, or a TRP, but the chances are slim.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They will let you through and you should definitely come back in September and start sponsorship of your son. You need to stay in Canada for the next 2 years in order to meet your residency obligation. Since you haven't been outside Canada for a full 3 years, you still have room for a short visit to your wife if she is stuck in Russia with the baby but because you are a PR sponsor, you must be residing in Canada so you should not risk leaving for too long. I would say 3 weeks max. and make sure somebody is checking your mail and messages every day if you go so you can contact immigration immediately if they try to reach you.

In the meantime, your wife should apply for a TRV for the baby to go to Canada with her. If denied, apply for a TRP based on that the family needs to be together and she is about to not meet her residency obligation any more if she stays away. If a visa is granted for the baby, she rejoins you. However, if she then does not meet the requirements any more, she will be allowed to enter Canada but she should not apply to renew her PR card again until she has stayed in Canada for a full 2 years even if she has to let it expire. The renewal will be much easier if she has 2 years in Canada or more in the last 5 at the time she applies to renew.