+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

What after getting PR?

lone_ranger

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
Hi Guys

Hope all are fine

I am a newbie to this forum and researching for information regarding Canadian immigration.

I have 2 queries in this regard

a). I came to know during my research that after obtaining PR, a person has to visit Canada within 1 year of medical test time to validate his visa and get PR card. What if a person has a job in another country and he returns after getting his PR card.
How long is PR card valid, Will he be needing to visit Canada very next year to validate his PR card?

b) After getting PR, what is the requirement for becoming a Canadian citizen?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hi Guys

Hope all are fine

I am a newbie to this forum and researching for information regarding Canadian immigration.

I have 2 queries in this regard

a). I came to know during my research that after obtaining PR, a person has to visit Canada within 1 year of medical test time to validate his visa and get PR card. What if a person has a job in another country and he returns after getting his PR card.
How long is PR card valid, Will he be needing to visit Canada very next year to validate his PR card?

b) After getting PR, what is the requirement for becoming a Canadian citizen?
a) returning to your job after landing in Canada is accepted. Card validity is 5 years.
b) currently 3 years of physical presence in Canada within a 5 year period, as well as other conditions. This can always change.

lone_ranger

Star Member
Jan 21, 2016
a) returning to your job after landing in Canada is accepted. Card validity is 5 years.
b) currently 3 years of physical presence in Canada within a 5 year period, as well as other conditions. This can always change.
Ok so what it means that if i get PR card at start of my tenure it will be valid for 5 years. And during that 5 year i need to complete 3 year stay to be eligible for citizenship. Is my understnading right?

A) Is there minimum days per year requiremnt as well ?
B) What are other conditions attached to citizenship ? Cn u pls share link

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Ok so what it means that if i get PR card at start of my tenure it will be valid for 5 years. And during that 5 year i need to complete 3 year stay to be eligible for citizenship. Is my understnading right?

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/become-canadian-citizen/eligibility.html

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016

Nothing to do with PR card validity.

At the time of application for citizenship you must be able to show 3 years physical presence in Canada in the 5 years preceding the date of your citizenship application. There is no per year requirement just an accumulation of 3 years in the previous 5.

If you spent any time in Canada prior to becoming a PR that was within the 5 years you can claim one half day for each full day physical presence for a maximum 1 year credit towards the 3 years.

That is why it is important to keep any proof of any dates you leave the country and come back as well as your COPR.