+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Welcome to Calgary

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
ttrajan said:
Can we bring food items to Canada?
Yes rajan definitely can bring food items but avoid lots of dairy products u can also bring some mithai,get some dry pulses and Indian masala in your check in bag if poss it will help u initially to save costs

sheeno1

Nov 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEB-2010
Doc's Request.
APR-2010
Med's Request
24 Dec-13
Passport Req..
10-Feb '14
VISA ISSUED...
07-Mar '14
jassig said:
Yes rajan definitely can bring food items but avoid lots of dairy products u can also bring some mithai,get some dry pulses and Indian masala in your check in bag if poss it will help u initially to save costs
One my friend told house cost/rent is very high nowadays in Calgary after last year flood ?

Rajdeep_Punjab13

Star Member
Apr 2, 2013
Ludhiana
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-06-2010
Med's Request
26-06-2013
Med's Done....
08-08-2013
Interview........
Waived OFf
Passport Req..
15-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
DM on 3rd Feb2014
LANDED..........
Planning by 15th May2014
jassig said:
Pajji how is you planning going on will call u this sat or sun morning time is tat ok
I am ok JI. Anytime..

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
sheeno1 said:
One my friend told house cost/rent is very high nowadays in Calgary after last year flood ?
no doubt housing rent is high as there is only 1% vacancy rate but u Try hard and r a little lucky u can get a good deal

sinestra

Apr 28, 2013
Bangalore
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
10-10-2013
Med's Request
07-12-2013
Passport Req..
08-12-2013
VISA ISSUED...
26-02-2014
LANDED..........
26-05-2014
Hi all Calgary settlers and prospective settlers,

Can I ask you to share your landing experiences which I will feature on my blog.
you may post your landing experience here:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/compilation-of-landing-experiences-t164507.0.html

The blog address is:
http://canadavisale.blogspot.in/

mashahzad

Aug 3, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-04-2010
Doc's Request.
28-06-2010
AOR Received.
06-07-2010
File Transfer...
06-07-2010
Med's Request
Received on 27/09/2013
Med's Done....
Done on 23/10/2013
Interview........
Hopefully waived
Hi Every One,

We are at last stage of our VISA process, so I think it is right time to plan for life in Canada. We will be moving to Calgary in 2014. I have few questions for those who are already in Calgary and especially in bookkeeping/accounting profession.

-Is it good idea to do some online courses from Canadian Virtual University? Will employers take these courses into account before deciding who to give job to? If yes, are there any specific courses any one can mention?

-Are these short term courses helpful if some one want to pursue degree courses after this?

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
mashahzad said:
Hi Every One,

We are at last stage of our VISA process, so I think it is right time to plan for life in Canada. We will be moving to Calgary in 2014. I have few questions for those who are already in Calgary and especially in bookkeeping/accounting profession.

-Is it good idea to do some online courses from Canadian Virtual University? Will employers take these courses into account before deciding who to give job to? If yes, are there any specific courses any one can mention?

-Are these short term courses helpful if some one want to pursue degree courses after this?
Hi
sorry bro i dont have much knowledge or friend in accounting/bookkeeping but definately if you have the time and money do what ever you can there is not harm in doing online courses as they are widely axcepted here and it will also look good on you when you send your cv some where,and againg sorry dont have ne knowledge in your feild but but i have seen some accounting personal getting into accounting courses for oil and gas try to do one of them online as you might be knowing oil and gas is in demand here and good pay as well.

best of luck cheers

vikasraj

Star Member
Jan 19, 2014
Bangalore --> Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2013
IELTS Request
June 13, 2013
File Transfer...
January 6, 2014
Med's Request
9 Jan 2014
Med's Done....
16 Jan 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9 Jan 2014
VISA ISSUED...
28 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Very Soon!!
Jassi Ji,

Sorry was busy with work here... Tickets booked
Will be landing by 11 June there....
For now a few more questions for you.
1. What is the best way to send money to India once we are in Calgary. (Asking because need to open and do the required so parents can jus go to the bank and take out money without any complications.
2. Which part of Calgary would you recommend for us.
3. What if we don't have any place of residence on arrival (If staying in a hotel until room is found) what information do we give with regards to the address of residence for PR card or later the SIN card to be sent.
4. Which bank has more better presence in Calgary and you could recommend to other coming from India.
5. We are stopping by at Vancouver to change flights to Calgary, What do we have to do there do we fill the disembarkation form then or on the flight to Calgary.

Thanks in advance.. Awaiting your reply.. :)

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
vikasraj said:
Jassi Ji,

Sorry was busy with work here... Tickets booked
Will be landing by 11 June there....
For now a few more questions for you.
1. What is the best way to send money to India once we are in Calgary. (Asking because need to open and do the required so parents can jus go to the bank and take out money without any complications.
2. Which part of Calgary would you recommend for us.
3. What if we don't have any place of residence on arrival (If staying in a hotel until room is found) what information do we give with regards to the address of residence for PR card or later the SIN card to be sent.
4. Which bank has more better presence in Calgary and you could recommend to other coming from India.
5. We are stopping by at Vancouver to change flights to Calgary, What do we have to do there do we fill the disembarkation form then or on the flight to Calgary.

Thanks in advance.. Awaiting your reply.. :)
you r welcome vikas,

alright i will ans all your questions first
1.the best way to send money is bank to bank account if possible get the formalities done for icici bank NRE account and then send money via money to india.com your will get discount if you open icici account in calgary you can send money for 10 dollars.
2.Alright regarding staying if you are from india and want to stay in core desi area ne is the beat but if you want little mix culture certian areas in NE like panaroma,harvest,country and coventry will be nice i stayed in panaroma wit my friend for one monthe then in coventry hills near to school and now i stay ion country hills i like these area and they are convient for travel as well.
3.if you dont have ne place of arrival on regarding address for your pr and sin card you r most welcome to give my address.
4.For bank my friend works in RBC nad he opened my account in that bank the best part is they will give you credit card right away which will help you build your line of credit (i will explain later)which is very imp in canada.
5.i think you can do your formalaties in calgary as you wont be checking out from vancover airport right u will stay in airport.

let me know more about you like where in india are you from and whats your profession i can guide you better you can send me personal message(PM).

and my advice if possible come in april, or may.

best of luck
cheers

jassi

manila07

Star Member
Sep 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
manila
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2010
Doc's Request.
October 2010
AOR Received.
March 2011
Med's Request
March 2012
Med's Done....
May 2012
Passport Req..
July 2012
VISA ISSUED...
November 2012
WELCOME TO CALGARY GUYS!!!

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
OTTAWA - When it comes to job creation in Canada, there's Alberta and then there's everybody else.

The latest employment data for February showed that the oil-rich western province created an impressive 18,800 jobs, largely in construction, mining and oil and gas, while in the rest of the country overall employment fell.

Economists warn against staking too much on any one-month data point, but the February result is no outlier.

As the Statistics Canada report issued Friday showed, Alberta is responsible for almost all the new net jobs generated in the past year — 82,300 of the 94,700 country-wide, or 87 per cent — as the province saw employment rise an impressive 3.8 per cent.

By comparison, provinces not called Alberta only gained about 12,000 which, for the purposes of the agency's survey, constitutes a rounding error.

"I know this is not a new story but it's becoming extreme," said Doug Porter, the Bank of Montreal's chief economist. "In the last 12 months, Alberta is the only province that's seen meaningful growth. They've had job gains of nearly four per cent and meanwhile six provinces have seen declines and one's been flat."

The other provinces in the positive territory, although far below Alberta's bounty, are Ontario with an overall pickup of 28,700, which given the large population base is only an increase of 0.4 per cent, and Saskatchewan, where employment rose a healthier 0.9 per cent by adding 5,200 net new jobs.

One way of looking at it, says CIBC chief economist Avery Shenfeld, is that the labour market in Canada is working as it should. Canadians are moving to where the jobs are.

And the numbers do show that aside from creating jobs, the western province is steadily increasing its workforce, by 81,300 in the past 12 months alone.

But Shenfeld concedes it's a serious problem for provincial governments that are on the losing end of worker migration, sapping their ability to raise revenue and pay for services. While most provinces remain in deficit, Alberta on Thursday reported it would post a surplus this year, although some quibbled with the province's accounting practices.

A spokesperson from the Finance Department said the post-recession period, where over one million jobs have been created, does not show as dramatic a tilt toward Alberta, but added that in general the strong performance of the province's economy since 2009 has been "a positive thing for Canada."

Although the recent dramatic tilt may be exaggerated by cyclical factors, the direction of jobs flow has been apparent for some time.

With Canada's manufacturing sector on its knees and home construction tapped out, two of the biggest industries operating in heavily-populated Central Canada have essentially produced no net jobs in the past year.

And another big employer — government — has shed more than 41,000 workers as Ottawa and other non-resource provinces focus on eliminating deficits.

"These figures illustrate the folly of imposing public-service cuts on a stagnant job market," said Erin Weir, an economist with the United Steelworkers.

TO DREAMLAND

Jan 12, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Apr 2010
VISA ISSUED...
Visa recd on 24th Feb '14
Dear jassig,
I too plan to land at Calgary in July/august of this year, request your help and support

donwin4real

Dec 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-04-2011
AOR Received.
23-05-2011
IELTS Request
Included with initial application
Med's Request
15-07-2013
Med's Done....
05-08-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
27-09-2013
VISA ISSUED...
08-10-2013
LANDED..........
Not Yet
@ Jassig,
thanx for this piece, highly informative.

vikasraj

Star Member
Jan 19, 2014
Bangalore --> Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
June 13, 2013
IELTS Request
June 13, 2013
File Transfer...
January 6, 2014
Med's Request
9 Jan 2014
Med's Done....
16 Jan 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
9 Jan 2014
VISA ISSUED...
28 Feb 2014
LANDED..........
Very Soon!!
jassig said:
you r welcome vikas,

alright i will ans all your questions first
1.the best way to send money is bank to bank account if possible get the formalities done for icici bank NRE account and then send money via money to india.com your will get discount if you open icici account in calgary you can send money for 10 dollars.
2.Alright regarding staying if you are from india and want to stay in core desi area ne is the beat but if you want little mix culture certian areas in NE like panaroma,harvest,country and coventry will be nice i stayed in panaroma wit my friend for one monthe then in coventry hills near to school and now i stay ion country hills i like these area and they are convient for travel as well.
3.if you dont have ne place of arrival on regarding address for your pr and sin card you r most welcome to give my address.
4.For bank my friend works in RBC nad he opened my account in that bank the best part is they will give you credit card right away which will help you build your line of credit (i will explain later)which is very imp in canada.
5.i think you can do your formalaties in calgary as you wont be checking out from vancover airport right u will stay in airport.

let me know more about you like where in india are you from and whats your profession i can guide you better you can send me personal message(PM).

and my advice if possible come in april, or may.

best of luck
cheers

jassi
Thanks a lot jassi Ji for the advice... Shall follow through.. as instructed...

1. Needed your suggestion as in How is SBI instead of ICICI bank.. Since i already have an account and it is also close to my current house in Bangalore.
2. I am an Indian and would love to eat and feel like India anywhere... but my priority is towards cheaper housing for now until i can stand up and move to a locality which make me feel more homely. Kindly advice the locations which are cheaper for a couple to stay as initially start and saving will help us enjoy better life later.

Thanks a lot for taking time and giving us all this little information which is so vital to us...

Shall PM you regarding the rest :)

jassig

Star Member
Jun 18, 2011
vikasraj said:
Thanks a lot jassi Ji for the advice... Shall follow through.. as instructed...

1. Needed your suggestion as in How is SBI instead of ICICI bank.. Since i already have an account and it is also close to my current house in Bangalore.
2. I am an Indian and would love to eat and feel like India anywhere... but my priority is towards cheaper housing for now until i can stand up and move to a locality which make me feel more homely. Kindly advice the locations which are cheaper for a couple to stay as initially start and saving will help us enjoy better life later.

Thanks a lot for taking time and giving us all this little information which is so vital to us...

Shall PM you regarding the rest :)
Hi,
sorry bro dont know much about SBI but it shoudnt be a problem as money transfer can be dont to any bank.

about living intially you can rent a basement as i will be cheap and lots of basement are avaiable in desi area.

ne time bro i am here for advice

Jassi