+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Weekly commute to US after landing/importing vehicle?

frenchrock

Star Member
Apr 18, 2009
Massena, New York, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04-06-2010
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
waived
Med's Done....
26-04-2009 (expired/waived)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2010
LANDED..........
pending
Sorry guys and gals...if this is posted elsewhere, I would be happy to navigate over to it (I've searched for hours on here...I can't find anything similar...)

Now that I have my visa, I intend to call it quits at my USA job and move to Canada for good (the USA job will not let me telecommute...shucks). I will be leaving in January, but wanted to know if I would be able to land in Canada as a PR, import my vehicle at that time, and then drive it weekly back to the US to finish out my work contract? I do not want to run into any issues surrounding the importation of my vehicle, having US plates until the RIV inspections, etc are completed. I would be commuting to Canada on Thursday evenings and returning to the States on Monday mornings.

I've done the same for the last 2.5 years, entering Canada every weekend as a visitor, without an issue. However, with the vehicle situation, I want to be sure that I'm doing the right thing. I am required to land before the end of March, 2011 per the visa expiration. Should I simply wait until I am completed with my work contract before I land/import?

Kess

May 19, 2010
BC Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-08-2010
AOR Received.
09-30-2010
File Transfer...
07-09-2010
Med's Done....
25-05-2010
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
11-08-2011
VISA ISSUED...
26-08-2011
LANDED..........
06-09-2011
You can land now and return to the US to "tie up loose ends" and finish out your job. For the car i'd suggest waiting to export/import until you move permanently since insurance would probably be more expensive (and possibly complicated) on a vehicle driven in the US but licensed in Canada. I believe you would just list your car on the Goods to Follow list with the rest of your stuff you'd br bringing to Canada when you move.

frenchrock

Star Member
Apr 18, 2009
Massena, New York, USA
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-03-2010
Doc's Request.
n/a
AOR Received.
04-06-2010
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
waived
Med's Done....
26-04-2009 (expired/waived)
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
22-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
19-10-2010
LANDED..........
pending
Kess said:
You can land now and return to the US to "tie up loose ends" and finish out your job. For the car i'd suggest waiting to export/import until you move permanently since insurance would probably be more expensive (and possibly complicated) on a vehicle driven in the US but licensed in Canada. I believe you would just list your car on the Goods to Follow list with the rest of your stuff you'd br bringing to Canada when you move.
Makes sense...but will that allow me to commute/cross the border on a weekly basis with my vehicle until I decide to import it? I have a 4-month old son in Canada with my wife, so I don't intend to stay in the US for the next three months without crossing back over.

sparkle

Feb 16, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband lives in US while I am just across the border in Canada. We both have been commuting back and forth for the last 1 year. Either I go on weekends (in my car) or he comes to Canada as a visitor. You can always bring your car to US or Canada as long as you are not permanently entering as a PR. I would suggest entering and getting your PR, but still showing proof that you have some unfinished business in US, and will be travelling back and forth. They shouldn't have a problem with that.