+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Wedding ceremony

NAT.HAD

Jun 8, 2019
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice.
My partner (Canadian citizen) is going to sponsor me (Austrian Citizen) after we get married. We’ve known each other since we’ve been kids and have been in a relationship since 8 years. We also have been living together for several years (we have a joint lease). Just a bit of background: He is originally Jordanian. I am also half Jordanian. That is where we met as kids at school. Both of us don’t really identify with that culture much since we’ve not lived there since we’ve been kids. We’re both nearly 30 now.
So to my question: will it be an issue if I we get married in Austria (my country) with only a small reception of about 30-50 people of our closest family and friends? Is that a red flag considering our cultural background? Also do you have any other advice to prove our relationship is genuine? Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,
I was wondering if someone can give me some advice.
My partner (Canadian citizen) is going to sponsor me (Austrian Citizen) after we get married. We’ve known each other since we’ve been kids and have been in a relationship since 8 years. We also have been living together for several years (we have a joint lease). Just a bit of background: He is originally Jordanian. I am also half Jordanian. That is where we met as kids at school. Both of us don’t really identify with that culture much since we’ve not lived there since we’ve been kids. We’re both nearly 30 now.
So to my question: will it be an issue if I we get married in Austria (my country) with only a small reception of about 30-50 people of our closest family and friends? Is that a red flag considering our cultural background? Also do you have any other advice to prove our relationship is genuine? Thanks
No issue. The fact that you have been living together for so long and are considered common law spouses by Canada overrides all potential concerns. Given that you have been living together it quite obvious that you aren’t following traditional cultural values that are typical in Jordan which wouldn’t allow partners to live together before marriage. You are also having a small to midsized ceremony with friends and family so you also will have proof of a marriage ceremony. Sure the ceremony is more in line with Austrian and Canadian wedding ceremonies which makes sense since you are getting married in Austria.

Reactions: NAT.HAD

NAT.HAD

Jun 8, 2019
No issue. The fact that you have been living together for so long and are considered common law spouses by Canada overrides all potential concerns. Given that you have been living together it quite obvious that you aren’t following traditional cultural values that are typical in Jordan which wouldn’t allow partners to live together before marriage. You are also having a small to midsized ceremony with friends and family so you also will have proof of a marriage ceremony. Sure the ceremony is more in line with Austrian and Canadian wedding ceremonies which makes sense since you are getting married in Austria.
Yes, exactly. Thank you so so much. I really appreciate your reply and giving me some peace of mind, was a bit worried haha but thanks once again.

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
Hi,
First congrats :)

short answer, you are good to go, I don't see any reflags here. I had almost the same situation, I had a small ceremony in different country as well and we submitted everything that we can submit to prove our relationship, messages, emails, gifts, ticket to movies, wedding pictures .... etc., we didn't even have a joint leased.

but one point, your partner the Canadian one, need to be approved to sponsor you, I am not sure if you are living together in Canada or Austria , if in Canada and your partner is working then easy case if not, your partner needs to show that they can sponsor you.

I hope that helps

NAT.HAD

Jun 8, 2019
Thank you so much for your comment and kind words. I appreciate the help. To answer your question, yes the joint lease is in Canada. We live here together, and yes he’s working.

If you don’t mind me asking, how did the application go for you?

Thank you again!

Hi,
First congrats :)

short answer, you are good to go, I don't see any reflags here. I had almost the same situation, I had a small ceremony in different country as well and we submitted everything that we can submit to prove our relationship, messages, emails, gifts, ticket to movies, wedding pictures .... etc., we didn't even have a joint leased.

but one point, your partner the Canadian one, need to be approved to sponsor you, I am not sure if you are living together in Canada or Austria , if in Canada and your partner is working then easy case if not, your partner needs to show that they can sponsor you.

I hope that helps

mfkoko321

Star Member
Jul 23, 2017
You are welcome. Mine went smooth, I am from Iraq so my papers needed to be translated from Arabic to English and I hired someone wasn't approved so they ask me to submit the papers again, and everything was online.. that's the only issue I had. Just follow the instructions, provide as much as you can to proof anything they ask for and you should be good. Good luck

NAT.HAD

Jun 8, 2019
You are welcome. Mine went smooth, I am from Iraq so my papers needed to be translated from Arabic to English and I hired someone wasn't approved so they ask me to submit the papers again, and everything was online.. that's the only issue I had. Just follow the instructions, provide as much as you can to proof anything they ask for and you should be good. Good luck
Thanks for the info and the help. This definitely made me feel more relaxed. Glad it worked out well for you.