+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

WCB Payments and PGP Sponsorship Income

Ksaini007

Mar 3, 2022
Hello Everyone,

I got injured at work last year and currently recovering at home. I have income support in the form of Payments from WCB. I’ll be filing my income tax soon. I want to know if the tax-free payments received and mentioned on T5007 are considered as income for sponsoring parents as these are not social assistance payments. There is no clarity on IRCC’s website regarding the same. I have managed to maintain the minimum necessary income according to the LICO+30% income for the past 2 years but unsure if the WCB will be counted as income for the final third year before I can be eligible to file for the Interest to Sponsor.
Thank you

DimT44

Apr 5, 2021
Hello Everyone,

I got injured at work last year and currently recovering at home. I have income support in the form of Payments from WCB. I’ll be filing my income tax soon. I want to know if the tax-free payments received and mentioned on T5007 are considered as income for sponsoring parents as these are not social assistance payments. There is no clarity on IRCC’s website regarding the same. I have managed to maintain the minimum necessary income according to the LICO+30% income for the past 2 years but unsure if the WCB will be counted as income for the final third year before I can be eligible to file for the Interest to Sponsor.
Thank you
From the list of examples on IRCC's website, it sounds like WCB isn't considered social assistance by any stretch. WCB is closer to employment insurance than assistance for shelter and utilities. Here's the link I'm referring to: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1526&top=14

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Agree that WCB payment is not considered as social assistance and since it's part of the income calculation for line 15000, it should be part of the income that's include in calculating the minimum income for sponsoring parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Thank you
Even if income does count you can still run into problems. If you are off work and don’t have proof that you have returned to work and will be able to support your parents for the next 20 years that could. be a big issue. If you are unable to return to work and end up on disability it would be extremely hard to support just yourself never mind other people. Do you have plans to return to work soon?

Ksaini007

Mar 3, 2022
Even if income does count you can still run into problems. If you are off work and don’t have proof that you have returned to work and will be able to support your parents for the next 20 years that could. be a big issue. If you are unable to return to work and end up on disability it would be extremely hard to support just yourself never mind other people. Do you have plans to return to work soon?
Yes. I am optimistic to be back to work within next month or so. It does make sense that when I apply, I should be actively working to provide the undertaking for sponsoring my parents.
Thank you

Mar 25, 2020
Hello Everyone
I got a quick question, Will CIC increase or decrease the Minimum income requirements for year 2021 or if they will consider COVID as a factor for decreased income in 2021?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello Everyone
I got a quick question, Will CIC increase or decrease the Minimum income requirements for year 2021 or if they will consider COVID as a factor for decreased income in 2021?
It was so low in 2020 it could only go up. There were less restrictions in 2021 so I would expect that it will likely go back to precovid income levels. Families still need to be able to support parents if they are in Canada and there are other waves of Covid in the future.

Mar 25, 2020
It was so low in 2020 it could only go up. There were less restrictions in 2021 so I would expect that it will likely go back to precovid income levels. Families still need to be able to support parents if they are in Canada and there are other waves of Covid in the future.
Any Idea when do they announce new income requirements for 2021