+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Way to extend my WP if my PGWP will expire soon and I applied PR through the Hong Kong Pathway

carolko1204

Jan 22, 2024
Hi Everyone,

I’m a PGWP holder and my work permit will be expired soon after two months. I have applied the PR through the Hong Kong pathway and found that the processing time was updated to around 20 months now. Since I’m not eligible for applying the open work permit for Hong Kong peoples, and wonder if anyone know that can I apply a new open work permit? Or do I need to apply for an employer-specific work permit (without the LMIA)? Which work permit can I apply to maintain my working status in here?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Everyone,

I’m a PGWP holder and my work permit will be expired soon after two months. I have applied the PR through the Hong Kong pathway and found that the processing time was updated to around 20 months now. Since I’m not eligible for applying the open work permit for Hong Kong peoples, and wonder if anyone know that can I apply a new open work permit? Or do I need to apply for an employer-specific work permit (without the LMIA)? Which work permit can I apply to maintain my working status in here?
Based on the information you've provides, employer would need to get an approved LMIA and then you would have to apply for a closed work permit tied to that employer.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
I am trying to find out if there is any extension/maintenance status. But can't find anything so far.

I hope something more clear will come out soon.
It's very important to maintain legal status. So you may need to extend your stay as a visitor if there is no available route for a new work permit.
sorry. I wish I can tell you more.

carolko1204

Jan 22, 2024
Hi all, I found the following information in Guide 5553 (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E3):
-----------quoted message-------
Who may apply for a work permit from within Canada?
  • In-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are members of the following classes, determined eligible for permanent resident (PR) status: live-in-caregiver, interim pathway for caregivers, spouse or common-law partner, protected persons, and humanitarian and compassionate considerations (H&C);
-----------unquoted message-------
Based on the guidance used by IRCC staff (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/pathways-hong-kong/intake.html), I know IRCC's is using the GCMS category HC-CDA - Humanitarian and Compassionate and special program code HKPPPR-A or HKPPPR-B for my application. So, I'm wondering if I'm eligible to apply for an open work permit without LIMA.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi all, I found the following information in Guide 5553 (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5553-applying-change-conditions-extend-your-stay-canada-worker.html#5553E3):
-----------quoted message-------
Who may apply for a work permit from within Canada?
  • In-Canada permanent resident applicants and their family members who are members of the following classes, determined eligible for permanent resident (PR) status: live-in-caregiver, interim pathway for caregivers, spouse or common-law partner, protected persons, and humanitarian and compassionate considerations (H&C);
-----------unquoted message-------
Based on the guidance used by IRCC staff (https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/permanent-residence/non-economic-classes/pathways-hong-kong/intake.html), I know IRCC's is using the GCMS category HC-CDA - Humanitarian and Compassionate and special program code HKPPPR-A or HKPPPR-B for my application. So, I'm wondering if I'm eligible to apply for an open work permit without LIMA.
I would recommend you check with an immigration lawyer.

For regular H&C applications, you must have AIP (approval in principle) before you can apply for an open work permit.

Reactions: YVR123