Doc's Request.
NOV 24, 2015 IMM5669 A requested
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
I've got a quick question about something that happened to me in Canada 5 years ago.

I was in the passenger seat and my friend was driving the car. I was drinking in the car.

We stopped at McDonald drive thru and the employee called cops as he saw alcohol.

Cops came and searched our vehicle, I said the truth that I was drinking and didn't knew about the law as I was new in Canada. They asked for my license (g1) at that time.

They searched me and after that explained me about the law that I wasn't suppose to do that. I wasn't arrested not was put in the back of the cop car. Then they let us go.

In my express entry I put 'no' to the question on whether I was detained or arrested.

Was I detained ??

Reactions: hooba

heeru_maan

May 31, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Andy.cic said:
I've got a quick question about something that happened to me in Canada 5 years ago.

I was in the passenger seat and my friend was driving the car. I was drinking in the car.

We stopped at McDonald drive thru and the employee called cops as he saw alcohol.

Cops came and searched our vehicle, I said the truth that I was drinking and didn't knew about the law as I was new in Canada. They asked for my license (g1) at that time.

They searched me and after that explained me about the law that I wasn't suppose to do that. I wasn't arrested not was put in the back of the cop car. Then they let us go.

In my express entry I put 'no' to the question on whether I was detained or arrested.

Was I detained ??
No. You weren't detained since you weren't kept in official custody.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
You question is too vague. A detention is merely restraining your movement while the officer conducts an investigation, while an arrest is a formal criminal procedure when a person is taken in custody for the purpose of criminal investigation and interrogation. If you can elaborate the circumstances in detail, that would better help me or other members here to ascertain what happened.

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
legalfalcon said:
You question is too vague. A detention is merely restraining your movement while the officer conducts an investigation, while an arrest is a formal criminal procedure when a person is taken in custody for the purpose of criminal investigation and interrogation. If you can elaborate the circumstances in detail, that would better help me or other members here to ascertain what happened.
i was sitting in passenger seat, my friend was driving through drive-thru. I was drinking beer. Mcdonald employee saw me drinking, they asked us to park on the side. we knew right away that they have called the cops. Cops came, asked for our licenses. They explained that the Mcdonald employees have called them as they saw open liquor in the car. I answered everything truthfully. I told them that i was new in canada and didnt knew you cant have open alcohol in the car even though you are not driving. He asked as to step outside the car, (we were standing outside car, we were not handcuffed nor put inside the police car). They poured out the open bottle and explained me the law that there should be no open alcohol within the reach of driver. After that they let us go. They did not fine us or charge us or anything.

I know there was question in express entry profile that asked me whether i was detained or arrested ever? to which i answered 'no'.

My question is, in this mcdonald incident explained above was i detained at any point?? as i am worried that i have mis represented myself?

Thanks

Baljas

Jul 20, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-02-2016 pcc required for both applicant and spouse
AOR Received.
19-01-2016
IELTS Request
25-01-2016
Med's Done....
27-01-2016 (passed) BG check in progress 27-01-2016
Passport Req..
13-07-2016
Andy.cic said:
i was sitting in passenger seat, my friend was driving through drive-thru. I was drinking beer. Mcdonald employee saw me drinking, they asked us to park on the side. we knew right away that they have called the cops. Cops came, asked for our licenses. They explained that the Mcdonald employees have called them as they saw open liquor in the car. I answered everything truthfully. I told them that i was new in canada and didnt knew you cant have open alcohol in the car even though you are not driving. He asked as to step outside the car, (we were standing outside car, we were not handcuffed nor put inside the police car). They poured out the open bottle and explained me the law that there should be no open alcohol within the reach of driver. After that they let us go. They did not fine us or charge us or anything.

I know there was question in express entry profile that asked me whether i was detained or arrested ever? to which i answered 'no'.

My question is, in this mcdonald incident explained above was i detained at any point?? as i am worried that i have mis represented myself?

Thanks
you are fine.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
Technically, yes you were detained. However, since there was no formal charging and neither was the offense recorded, you need not report it. You were detained for the duration when the police officer asked you for your license and spoke to you. But, since no action took place and he let you go, there is no need to report anything.

See this as an encounter with the police without it resulting in any infraction of an offense being committed on your end.

So you are all good and even if there is a criminal history check done on you in Canada, nothing will be reported since there was no reporting.

Hope this helps.

thatguy56

Sep 10, 2015
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-10-2015
AOR Received.
27-10-2015
Med's Done....
21-09-2015
No, you were not arrested or detained. You can say you were let of with what can be termed as just a "warning".

MooseNBooze

Nov 6, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
19-01-2016
Doc's Request.
22-01-2016
AOR Received.
20-01-2016
Med's Done....
22-01-2016
Passport Req..
22-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-05-2016
LANDED..........
25-12-2016
Nope, not detained as far as CIC is concerned. Legafalcon the poster above is correct, though, about the technical aspect (you were, in fact, detained by the officers, if we go with the strictest meaning of the word). But like legalfalcon said, for CICs purposes, your answer is no. They're concerned about, how do I put it, "actual" detentions, where one's under lock and key and have a record to go along with it. Best wishes.

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
Thank you guys for your input

+1 for y'all !!

hongtam2629

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Hi,

My friend was detained by police when buying the stolen bicycle as they though the bicycle was stolen by him. They handcuffed him and took him to the police station and investigated for 4 hours. He cooperated and was able to shown the proof of purchase. Finally, he was released with no charge or criminal record. So, he should answer yes or no to the question" Have you been detained or arrested?"

Thanks,

Andy.cic

Oct 26, 2015
ALBERTA
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
NOV 1, 2015
Doc's Request.
AOR Received.
NOV 1, 2015
Passport Req..
FEB 01, 2016
LANDED..........
FEB 25, 2016
hongtam2629 said:
Hi,

My friend was detained by police when buying the stolen bicycle as they though the bicycle was stolen by him. They handcuffed him and took him to the police station and investigated for 4 hours. He cooperated and was able to shown the proof of purchase. Finally, he was released with no charge or criminal record. So, he should answer yes or no to the question" Have you been detained or arrested?"

Thanks,
Yes, he was definitely detained, he should say yes and explain the whole incident. This shouldn't be a problem for him at all.

legalfalcon

VIP Member
Sep 21, 2015
Montréal, Quebec, Canada
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
03-09-2015
Doc's Request.
01-10-2015
AOR Received.
03-09-2015
Med's Done....
17-08-2015
Passport Req..
05-04-2016
VISA ISSUED...
12-04-2016
LANDED..........
05-05-2016
To clear all the air once and for all let me put things in perspective here. I am sorry if this post is technical, but I will try my best to explain it in as easy vocabulary as possible.

There are three things that happen in a police encounter:

a. Police stop; - Can be a traffic stop for a traffic violation, or when the police approaches a person and asks questions or asks to produce an identifying document.
b. Detention; or - When a person is taken to a police station for a breath analyzer test etc.; and
c. Arrest - When a person is officially taken into custody on suspicion of committing a crime, conspiring to commit a crime or apprehension that if left the person has the propensity to commit the crime.

In all three above, the person is first "DETAINED." The Supreme Court of Canada has held that the detention can be either physical or psychological.

Psychological detention has three elements:

i. a police direction or demand;
ii. the individual’s voluntary compliance with the direction or demand resulting in a deprivation of liberty or other serious legal consequences; and
iii. the individual’s reasonable belief that there is no choice but to comply.

A physical detention is asking a person to accompany to the police station, asking him to sit in the police car, or physically searching after being stopped.

Now since we have this out of our way, lets address the question, whether you have been detained, and when to report it on a form?

Every year many of us have an encounter with the police, most or not all can be classified as detention. But, these detentions are harmless and the police lets us go without charging, arresting or taking any measure. It does not mean that we have to report everything. However, we are under an obligation to report every detention that has been documented. Here there is another catch. All police officers by law have to maintain a diary or a log book in which they have to write their encounters on daily basis. So if a police officer stopped your car, and after being satisfied that you have the driving license and necessary papers and let you go, he will still put it in his log book or diary.

The second case in where he detains a person under the suspicion of committing a crime. In that case even if the officer lets you go, he might file a report, or if its in connection with an ongoing investigation he will file it.

So as a rule of thumb, one should disclose any detentions that were in connection of an investigation, suspicion of a crime where a person was taken to the police station, or where a person was detained and searched. A disclosure does not lead to criminality, but shows your character for truthfulness. All you have to mention is the date on which it happened, the location and a short description of what happened.

I say this because imagine this, you were detained and left by the police and nothing happened. This detention was in connection with an investigation. Now when your background search is done your name will show up on a police report stating that you were detained and interviewed by the police. Even though you were never charged, there is no evidence against you, you were not related to the crime etc. but since you failed to disclose it, it will lead to you lying on the form.

So if you feel that a report was filed and your name could have been in there, make sure you say yes. To be sure, you can get a background check done on you and if nothing comes up, just say no. But, its always better to be safe than sorry.

I have seen a lot of people mention that if you were not arrested you can answer no. That is absolutely wrong. Detention and arrest are two different legal terms. If CIC wanted to know whether you were arrested they would have asked that. What they are trying to ensure here is that whether your name appears in connection in an ongoing investigation where you were detained, but never arrested or charged. A lot of people are detained and are under suspicion of criminal conspiracy, but since there is no hard evidence against them the police cannot arrest them, but CIC is interested in knowing this aspect too. If you say no, you are lying and will be responsible if your name show up. I have seen PCCs where the record is clean, but a detention is reported.

So make sure before you answer, you know what you are doing. Every case is different and there is no bright line rule to answering this questions. If you have been in contact with the police see how pervasive was it and what what the reason for it. If there was anything serious, get a background check before you answer the question. If there was nothing serious, simply say no.

I refrain from giving a yes or no answer to any problem since unless one knows of all the facts, you can never be sure.

I hope this helps as a basic guideline in helping you answer the question.

Reactions: hooba

cuteebony

Star Member
Nov 8, 2015
legalfalcon said:
Technically, yes you were detained. However, since there was no formal charging and neither was the offense recorded, you need not report it. You were detained for the duration when the police officer asked you for your license and spoke to you. But, since no action took place and he let you go, there is no need to report anything.

See this as an encounter with the police without it resulting in any infraction of an offense being committed on your end.

So you are all good and even if there is a criminal history check done on you in Canada, nothing will be reported since there was no reporting.

Hope this helps.
I do not agree. The OP was not detained.

cuteebony

Star Member
Nov 8, 2015
MooseNBooze said:
Nope, not detained as far as CIC is concerned. Legafalcon the poster above is correct, though, about the technical aspect (you were, in fact, detained by the officers, if we go with the strictest meaning of the word). But like legalfalcon said, for CICs purposes, your answer is no. They're concerned about, how do I put it, "actual" detentions, where one's under lock and key and have a record to go along with it. Best wishes.
So you are saying that you are detained everytime you get pulled over by a cop or anytime they stop you for alcohol check?