+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Was getting on plane, forgot to get entry visa....HELP

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
Hi everyone,

I submitted my PR in July and thought everything was in order so I booked a 10-day vacation at my work. I haven't visited my parents for two years, and getting a entry visa completely slipped my mind. I was at the airport checking in my baggage when the staff told me I can't leave with only a valid work permit. Despite the fact I was freaking out, I kindly asked my supervisor to send me a employment verification letter and got all forms ready and applied this morning in Beijing, China. Since July 2012, entry visa takes longer to process, they told me it's about one month, although on their website it says 2 weeks. I'm very much stressed and scared but it's all my fault. My supervisors were very understanding and got me the employment letter within an hour. The staff at the visa center told me to write a letter explaining my situation, may or may not help. So I plead my situation. My only hope is that the processing officer will be able to understand, and grant me a visa as soon as possible. I doubt that will happen but I still hope there's some kind of miracle. From reading threads of posts I think the odds are against me.
Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes to process the entry visa realistically?
Thanks so much in advance.

out

Jun 23, 2012
i understand you are from beijing china. according to your location processing time it takes 7 days to get it approve provided your application package is complete...

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
I'm applying in Beijing. It's been a week and I'm really really anxious.
The visa application center said it takes 2 weeks, but on the Canadian Embassy in Beijing website it says 4 weeks.
I've told my employer 2 weeks according to the VAC, but I dare not say 1 month, that will put me in a even worse condition.

Also can someone tell me - on the document checklist for returning worker holding a valid work permit, it just said it needs employment letter indicating title, salary, date of hire...etc, it didn't say it need the actual or copy of work permit, also I asked the people at the VAC, they said no need for work permit. I asked how does the visa officer know that I have a valid work permit, they said it's up to the officers...!!??
I'm hesitated to send my copy of work permit through email to the embassy, does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated!

ying888

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Hi pooky, I am afraid it's too late but you could still give it a try. As you need your re-entry visa as soon as possible, you should have made an appointment of interview in Beijing Embassy before submiting your application, the time of getting the visa, just depends on when is your appointment, as you could get your visa within one day.
But now I am afraid it's too late to make an appoinment. But you can still call Embassy in Beijing to ask an appoinment, if it doesn't work for you any more, just explain your situation, it still better than doing nothing.
wish you a good luck

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
ying888 said:
Hi pooky, I am afraid it's too late but you could still give it a try. As you need your re-entry visa as soon as possible, you should have made an appointment of interview in Beijing Embassy before submiting your application, the time of getting the visa, just depends on when is your appointment, as you could get your visa within one day.
But now I am afraid it's too late to make an appoinment. But you can still call Embassy in Beijing to ask an appoinment, if it doesn't work for you any more, just explain your situation, it still better than doing nothing.
wish you a good luck
Hi ying888,

Thank you for your input. Do you think I should email first explaining what my situation is? At least send my work permit copy, although the visa application center told me it's not necessary to include your work permit...??
When I sent my application through the visa center, they suggested I write a letter explaining why I need a entry visa asap, I wrote " I booked a vacation without leaving enough time for applying a entry visa, although my employer ha been very understanding, I would appreciate an officer could grant me the entry visa sooner than later."
Do you think my written explanation has made the case worse?
Should I ask my HR to write an email inquiring about the processing time?

Thank you so much!

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
I just emailed the Visa and Immigration section in the Canadian Embassy in Beijing, adding the copy of my work permit and UCI (I didn't include these information in my application because the girl at the Visa Application Center said no work permit needed - but how can a visa officer know I have a work permit?)

I got a response saying:

"Our office will only respond to status inquiries that have exceeded their processing times.

Please note that all applications are considered on their own merits - if further documentation or information are required, processing times may take longer - and even several weeks - depending on the circumstances."

I added work permit on my own, I didn't ask anyone, I just thought without my valid work permit, even with my employment letter, how would a visa officer know I have a valid document? I know they could search my name, but that might take longer??

Does this response mean I screwed up my application and now it may take even longer?
On their application guide, it says decision is usually made within one day, my application has been shown "Your application has been received by the Embassy and it's in process" since last Thursday, I'm really scared and I don't know how to respond to my employer in Canada.

ying888

Star Member
Nov 12, 2010
Think about how many days left of your vacation do you have ? Which way is fastest to get the result? Email , they always give you an automatic reply first if they think it's not important, you think it's very important even though.

I think work permit is a very important document for the re-entry visa, especially the visa officer would decide how long of your stay in Canada to stamp on your visa, it depends on the period of your work permit.
It's good that you have sent it to Embassy.
Now that your employer is very understanding, why not asking your employer call visa officer on your behalf? I have sent you a message about something might be helpful.
Actually I heard processing time is getting faster than last month now, probably it's been on the way. Hope you can get it without delay even though. If I were you, I would call to find out what I should do then.
Good luck.

pooky

Star Member
Jan 25, 2011
ying888 said:
Think about how many days left of your vacation do you have ? Which way is fastest to get the result? Email , they always give you an automatic reply first if they think it's not important, you think it's very important even though.

I think work permit is a very important document for the re-entry visa, especially the visa officer would decide how long of your stay in Canada to stamp on your visa, it depends on the period of your work permit.
It's good that you have sent it to Embassy.
Now that your employer is very understanding, why not asking your employer call visa officer on your behalf? I have sent you a message about something might be helpful.
Actually I heard processing time is getting faster than last month now, probably it's been on the way. Hope you can get it without delay even though. If I were you, I would call to find out what I should do then.
Good luck.
My vacation was done last week, I finished my vacation and was checking my baggage at the Beijing airport and was told my entry visa is expired... I was so shocked and feel terrible that I forgot about applying for entry visa.
At the airport, the staff told me it might take 3- 5 days, I remember two years ago when I applied in Beijing, it took only 1 business day.
When I downloaded the forms from the visa application center, i saw they said 2 weeks, then when I got to the VAC, they said 1 month. I felt I was going to lose my job, but my employer has been telling me it's going to be OK, but I still feel bad and it would help a lot if i get the visa sooner than later.
Thanks for the info ying888, I will ask my employer to give a try.
Thank you so much!