Was able to apply for work permit at POE

liljinx01ph

Mar 21, 2013
Just to share my experience:

1. I am from a visa-required country
2. First time in applying for a work permit
3. Came to Canada as a visitor, got a job offer and was nominated for BC PNP
4. NOC A and needs a medical
5. Applied at the Port of Entry, no questions asked and was given a work permit.

Special thanks to cookie, fkl, PMM, Leon, laialbert, bmore321 and all the members who replied to personal messages I sent to them. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I am forever grateful. :-* :-* :-*

prasprime

Dec 16, 2013
India
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you liljinx01ph.

Keep helping others and posted on forum.

liljinx01ph said:

5. Applied at the Port of Entry, no questions asked and was given a work permit.

Special thanks to cookie, fkl, PMM, Leon, laialbert, bmore321 and all the members who replied to personal messages I sent to them. From the bottom of my heart, thank you. I am forever grateful. :-* :-* :-*

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
You mean you didn't need to go through CIC's application process? Do you know if that was because you were already nominated for PNP? I am wondering if one can apply for work permit at the Port of Entry with a job offer (and LMO) but no nomination?

Thanks.

liljinx01ph said:

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
I am happy to hear it worked out for you liljinx01ph. Message is the same, try helping others when you can.

The slight confusing part for me as well is, you did apply for work permit at the embassy in your home country / online and received a "letter of introduction", before you landed, applied and got work permit at the port of entry.

Since my knowledge is that only those can apply for work permit at the port of entry (without prior approval from embassy) who do not require a temp resident visa to enter canada. Of course all of this assumes one already has a job offer and approved LMO and exclude professions such as Live in caregivers since medicals are mandatory for those.

liljinx01ph

Mar 21, 2013
Hi again!

Thanks a lot fkl for all your help!

To clear all the confusion:

I was nominated for BC PNP in Dec 2013. I received my nomination certificate and work permit support letter. I was in Portland, Oregon when they mailed my package to Canada. So to save time, I applied for work permit online. However, cookie advised me to try applying at the Port of Entry (eventhough I already applied online). So I went for medicals first since I will be working in a health sector, then waited for 3 weeks. I didn't know if my medicals were already approved by CIC during that time because I have no means of checking it. So I just went to the border after 3 weeks had past since I had my medicals done and was given work permit by the border officer. No questions were even asked. I don't have any letter of introduction or anything of that sort. Since I paid twice for my permit (one was online and the other one was at the border), I emailed CIC for a refund.

Please note that I came to Canada as a visitor, found a job and got nominated. This was also my very first time in applying for a work permit. I have a multiple visitors visa valid until 2016. I am from visa required country.

To conclude, it really depends on the border officer and on your job, I think. Eventhough the website states that only visitors from visa exempt country can apply at the border. Im from visa required country but was able to do it at the border.

namaste

Champion Member
Jan 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2014
Nomination.....
15-10-2014 (PER)
Med's Request
25-11-2014
Med's Done....
10-12-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
06-02-2015
VISA ISSUED...
21-02-2015
LANDED..........
16-05-2015
Thanks, for clarification.

liljinx01ph said:
Hi again!

Thanks a lot fkl for all your help!

To clear all the confusion:

I was nominated for BC PNP in Dec 2013. I received my nomination certificate and work permit support letter. I was in Portland, Oregon when they mailed my package to Canada. So to save time, I applied for work permit online. However, cookie advised me to try applying at the Port of Entry (eventhough I already applied online). So I went for medicals first since I will be working in a health sector, then waited for 3 weeks. I didn't know if my medicals were already approved by CIC during that time because I have no means of checking it. So I just went to the border after 3 weeks had past since I had my medicals done and was given work permit by the border officer. No questions were even asked. I don't have any letter of introduction or anything of that sort. Since I paid twice for my permit (one was online and the other one was at the border), I emailed CIC for a refund.

Please note that I came to Canada as a visitor, found a job and got nominated. This was also my very first time in applying for a work permit. I have a multiple visitors visa valid until 2016. I am from visa required country.

To conclude, it really depends on the border officer and on your job, I think. Eventhough the website states that only visitors from visa exempt country can apply at the border. Im from visa required country but was able to do it at the border.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
Thanks for clearing that out. It was an unusual thing and adds to my knowledge.