+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to prepare right for Citizenship, self employed

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
Hello all,

I returned to Canada after 3.5 years of absence in June 2020. I was let in after secondary and was not issued anything although I was short on my RO for PR. The officer stamped my passport with entry stamp. I have not left Canada since and have no plans to leave Canada for any reason, at-least for 1100 straight days.
I started job shortly after returning to Canada. I am self employed and work as an independent contractor. I would really appreciate if anyone could guide me to prepare for Citizenship in the future the right way.
Being a self employed professional, what documents do I need to keep to prove my physical presence? I get check for my work on the first of every month and I deposit in my Canadian bank every month. Will those documents will be enough along with NOAs for 3 straight years?

I keep all my rental lease, Car insurance papers, life insurance papers and maintaining professional regulated license. I dont have Canadian cell phone yet as I still use my US cell phone. Would you suggest any other bills, documents to prove my physical presence in Canada?

I think my future citizenship application will go to secondary review given the RO.
I plan to apply both PR renewal and Citizenship after spending >1100 day in Canada.

Another thing I want to ask is I strongly intend to stay in Canada for 3 straight years to become eligible to Citizenship and will plan to go out after submitting application to meet my parents outside Canada. Will my 1100 days spent in Canada lock in for citizenship or will my short absence after submitting citizenship app will affect the processing and may lead to denial?

Thanks.

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
Doing all of what you are planning to should be excessive in the least. I suggest to apply to renew your PR card after 730 days (2 years), since that's the requirement for PR. Then using today's posted timeline you'll have a valid PR card 129 days after that and you'll be ready to apply for citizenship less than or close to a year after that.

Reactions: harirajmohan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Doing all of what you are planning to should be excessive in the least. I suggest to apply to renew your PR card after 730 days (2 years), since that's the requirement for PR. Then using today's posted timeline you'll have a valid PR card 129 days after that and you'll be ready to apply for citizenship less than or close to a year after that.
Would always suggest a few months buffer when applying to renew your PR card. Applying at 740 days or just above that amount is just asking for extra scrutiny and processing time.

Vigilant

Champion Member
Nov 15, 2013
Pakistan
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
LVO
App. Filed.......
June-2010
Doc's Request.
Oct-2013
File Transfer...
June-2013
Med's Request
Jan-2014
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
April 2014
VISA ISSUED...
May-2014
LANDED..........
June-2014
Would always suggest a few months buffer when applying to renew your PR card. Applying at 740 days or just above that amount is just asking for extra scrutiny and processing time.
Hi,
I applied last year with 739 days and it went smooth. I got my PR card with in two weeks (Time line was 15 days in 2019).

Thanks.

SecularFirst

Nov 21, 2015
I plan to apply PR renewal after >800 days in Canada. At this point, I just want to make sure I do whatever necessary to prove my continuous physical presence. As I am a self employed professional, I dont know what else I need to do to record my physical presence. I know its easy if you are employed and keep all your pay stubs.

Also, Since I wont be meeting my parent, who are outside Canada, for >3 years, I plan to go out and meet them and travel to some other places after I submitted by application. Will it affect the processing or will it lead to denial or the physical present days look in once we submit the application?