+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want to move to another province after receiving my PR Under Provincial Nominee

sidshah

Aug 20, 2016
Hi all,

I have landed in NS Canada under the Provincial Nominee Programme two months ago from UK. At the time of application and landing in Canada, I had clear intentions of living here. As evidence since I have moved to Halifax NS along with my wife & 3 years old son, I have rented an apartment in a good locality, spend around $12k on renovation of my flat and settling in expenses, searched for both business and job options and so on. I also applied and got family Health cards for my family, me and my spouse opened bank accounts, and I even got my driving license issues by Access Nova Scotia. I am also registered and regularly been attending sessions with ISANS NS for job and business search help.

While coming to NS, Canada, I mentioned my cousin's name as a relative in NS ( He was not my sponsor but just mentioned his name as I did not know anyone else).

However since I landed here, situation has drastically changed. A really misfortunate event took place a moth ago, where my father passed away in my home country. But because I did not have my PR issued on the day and the quickest flight option was avaiable only in 24 hours, I could not fly back for his funeral. In addition, my cousin in NS also got divorced and has been going through his own turmoil. Meanwhile I did got my PR issued and delivered to the home address in Halifax NS.

Now I am in a situation that being the only son, I have to fly back to my home country for couple of months to take care of family matters after my father's sad demise. During this time I can not leave my wife and son alone here as first of all she can not drive, secondly during our 2 months stay in Halifax, she severely got ill and once was hospitalized, where i had to baby sit my 3 years old son in her absence. Now we are scared that what if something happens to her in my absence , then who is going to take care of my son?

Keeping in view all the above mentioned problems and specially the fact that I could still not find any job or business opportunity in Halifax (not for business as its a small city of 350k people and there is a trend for businesses failing tremendously here, be it franchise or local businesses), I have decided to move to Alberta, where I have some close friends and relatives. This will still going to cost me a lot of money in process of moving my home, paying extra amount as rent as a notice period and then settling again in Alberta, which is at a distance 4900 Km from NS.

Is all the above enough evidence that I have been trying to get jobs and business opportunities, despite the fact I never let the problems hinder the process of job / business search?

Can I move to Alberta and shift my health insurance, and driving license to Alberta easily?

I am going to face any problem at the time of Citizenship or anything during the process like revocation of PR?

Your guidance will be much appriciated.

Many thanks & regards,

ttrajan

Champion Member
Oct 14, 2013
Category........
AINP
Job Offer........
Yes
LANDED..........
15-08-2012
If you are unable find jobs, then you can move out.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sidshah said:
Is all the above enough evidence that I have been trying to get jobs and business opportunities, despite the fact I never let the problems hinder the process of job / business search?
You don't need evidence. PR is a federal program and you have the right as a PR to live anywhere you want in Canada. The "intent" to get PR was obviously to live in the province you got PR through, but if you move there is nothing they can do about your PR status regardless of your reasons for moving. It will have zero effect on future citizenship.

Reactions: amitrsuthar

sidshah

Aug 20, 2016
Many thanks for your reply Rob!

That is what I could figure out from the available facts on websites, however some legal websites run by Immigration Lawyers say that they may come after those who leave after getting PR under Provincial Nominee Programme or even can get my PR revoked.

It was already a big decision moving from UK to Canada and I hope my next move won't hamper my Citizenship in future.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
sidshah said:
Many thanks for your reply Rob!

That is what I could figure out from the available facts on websites, however some legal websites run by Immigration Lawyers say that they may come after those who leave after getting PR under Provincial Nominee Programme or even can get my PR revoked.

It was already a big decision moving from UK to Canada and I hope my next move won't hamper my Citizenship in future.
Is there a specific condition of your PR that states you must stay in the province you landed in, for X years?? I assume there is not, so they can't revoke your PR status.

If you didn't have "intent" originally to ever settle in that province perhaps they could make some claim against you that you committed misrepresentation on your application for PR, however it's obvious you did make a good attempt to stay. Not to mention proving "intent" at the application stage is next to impossible even if they wanted to make the effort to try which they would probably never do.

Reactions: rockytg

One_Topsy

Champion Member
Sep 12, 2015
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nomination.....
30-11-2015
If it was me, I would move asap. Read your story again.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
See my signature

Add: You don't even need a reason to move away of the province once you have successfully landed. But since you do, you should have no problem even if they ask for it

The constitution protects the right of mobility of PR and Canadians

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can move. Drivers license is easy to change. The only potential problem is health insurance.

Reading up on the eligibility requirements of NS health care, this is what it says:

To be eligible for Nova Scotia Medical Service Insurance benefits you must be:

* a Canadian Citizen or "Permanent Resident" (Landed Immigrant);
* a resident who makes his/her permanent home in Nova Scotia;
* present in the province 183 days every calendar year; and
* registered with MSI.
The bolded could be your downfall. If you move now, obviously you will not be able to spend 183 days in NS this calendar year. This could cause the loss of your health care because you did not meet the eligibility requirements. In some provinces, such cases have even caused retroactive loss of health care, that is that they decide that as you never stayed 183 days in a calendar year, you should never have been eligible in the first place and as such, they retroactively cancel your health care and back charge you for any expenses they have paid for you. As your wife was hospitalized, it could be a big bill.

As you have already settled in NS, when you move to Alberta, you will be seen as moving within Canada. As such, you are not a new PR with instant healthcare but moving within Canada with a 2-3 month wait for health care in AB during which time NS health care should cover you. Using your NS health care in AB will therefore tip NS health care off that you are now living in AB, even if you don't make a point of telling them. The best you could do now is ask NS health care about the possible consequences of moving out of the province without having spent 183 days. If they say they do not retroactively cancel, you are safe to do that. If they say they do, then you should not move to AB until January.

figaro2

Jan 12, 2016
Argentina
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Mexico
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
25-01-2016
Doc's Request.
15-01-2017
Nomination.....
08-02-2017
AOR Received.
28-03-2017
Med's Done....
20-07-2017
Passport Req..
3 nov 2017
LANDED..........
31 01 2018
Hi there
I would like to kn9w how went your journey after all the dilemas and sad news. Did you move to alberta?

abdulqayyum

Dec 22, 2013
Hi guyes,
I landed in the nominated province 6 months ago, so far couldn't any job. however i m getting job out of province, i send email to nomination department, wrote them in detail about my situation, that i didn't left any stone un turned to find some work and be settled in the province, but so far no success. below is their answer: pls advise whether i should move or not?
"
As a Permanent Resident of Canada you may work and live in any province, however, an individual is nominated to Provincial Immigrant Nominee program based on their intent to settle permanently in Province. Should a Nominee not be living and working in province the PNP Authority reserves the right to follow up to assess whether the Nominee has misrepresented their intent. The PNP Authority can revoke a nomination to our program and advise Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) of the revocation. Any final decisions are in the hands of IRCC.

For more information on Permanent Residency rights, please visit IRCC’s website: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/about-pr.asp

Jhongpogs

Mar 2, 2018
Hello my work permit was lost then the cic emailed me to get my permanent residence to order or to the nearest cic office..I already applied for the copy of my work permit but until now I didn't received yet

Blessy liju

Oct 21, 2018
Hi all,

I have landed in NS Canada under the Provincial Nominee Programme two months ago from UK. At the time of application and landing in Canada, I had clear intentions of living here. As evidence since I have moved to Halifax NS along with my wife & 3 years old son, I have rented an apartment in a good locality, spend around $12k on renovation of my flat and settling in expenses, searched for both business and job options and so on. I also applied and got family Health cards for my family, me and my spouse opened bank accounts, and I even got my driving license issues by Access Nova Scotia. I am also registered and regularly been attending sessions with ISANS NS for job and business search help.

While coming to NS, Canada, I mentioned my cousin's name as a relative in NS ( He was not my sponsor but just mentioned his name as I did not know anyone else).

However since I landed here, situation has drastically changed. A really misfortunate event took place a moth ago, where my father passed away in my home country. But because I did not have my PR issued on the day and the quickest flight option was avaiable only in 24 hours, I could not fly back for his funeral. In addition, my cousin in NS also got divorced and has been going through his own turmoil. Meanwhile I did got my PR issued and delivered to the home address in Halifax NS.

Now I am in a situation that being the only son, I have to fly back to my home country for couple of months to take care of family matters after my father's sad demise. During this time I can not leave my wife and son alone here as first of all she can not drive, secondly during our 2 months stay in Halifax, she severely got ill and once was hospitalized, where i had to baby sit my 3 years old son in her absence. Now we are scared that what if something happens to her in my absence , then who is going to take care of my son?

Keeping in view all the above mentioned problems and specially the fact that I could still not find any job or business opportunity in Halifax (not for business as its a small city of 350k people and there is a trend for businesses failing tremendously here, be it franchise or local businesses), I have decided to move to Alberta, where I have some close friends and relatives. This will still going to cost me a lot of money in process of moving my home, paying extra amount as rent as a notice period and then settling again in Alberta, which is at a distance 4900 Km from NS.

Can I move to Alberta and shift my health insurance, and driving license to Alberta easily?

I am going to face any problem at the time of Citizenship or anything during the process like revocation of PR?

Your guidance will be much appriciated.

Many thanks & regards,