+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Want an early termination of long term lease

User11

Feb 15, 2023
My lease agreement expiring in the end if 2023, but want to get early termination.
My landlord is giving me hard time to do that, I did a mistake on the lease renewal as he said he will going to sell the apartment if I don't increase the rent. In anticipation of my family security I agreed to increase but signed another one year lease.
I want to know what option I would have to terminate the lease. Its in Mississauga Square One.
Not paying the rent could be an Option? Please help!!

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My lease agreement expiring in the end if 2023, but want to get early termination.
My landlord is giving me hard time to do that, I did a mistake on the lease renewal as he said he will going to sell the apartment if I don't increase the rent. In anticipation of my family security I agreed to increase but signed another one year lease.
I want to know what option I would have to terminate the lease. Its in Mississauga Square One.
How about find someone to takeover the lease?

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
You have zero options . Subletting could be an option , only if you’re allowed .
Not paying the rent ?
You signed a legal document, you pay your rent owed .
The landlord is under NO obligation to terminate your lease early

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Not sure about Ontario, but in BC (for example) a person that sells a property that is tenanted, is in essence `including' the tenant. The new buyer cannot evict the tenant AND...when the tenant is served the two month notice to vacate (to be effective when the lease exires), the second month is free.

Now...if you are refusing to pay the rent, you will likely be evicted. Your landlord had every right to increase the rent based on whatever rules are in place in Ontario. Unless she/he/they increased more than was allowed, you're stuck.

Lastly, you could see if Ontario has something like a `Mutual Agreement to End Tenancy' form that you could propose to your landlord. Tell him that if he agrees to let you terminate the lease, he could list it (now) for a higher rent. Win/win for both of you, but...I suspect this option is probably not feasible, based on your story.

Last edited:

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
https://tribunalsontario.ca/documents/ltb/Brochures/How a Tenant Can End Their Tenancy (EN).html

Ending a tenancy early: Assigning your tenancy

You can ask the landlord to let you transfer your tenancy to another person. This is called an assignment.

When you assign your unit, you are leaving your unit permanently.

Assignment is not a sublet

An assignment is different from a sublet. Subletting a unit means that the tenant moves out of the unit for a period of time but plans to move back in before the tenancy ends. The person who moves in is known as a subtenant. The subtenant pays the rent to the original tenant who then pays it to the landlord.

In an assignment, the person moves into your unit takes over your agreement. That person is called the assignee. Everything that is included in your tenancy is the same for the assignee. They are responsible for paying the landlord the same rent as you pay and they should have the same things included in their tenancy as you do. For example, if hydro, a parking spot, and the laundry room are included for you, they must be included for the assignee.

You must get your landlord's approval for an assignment. It is best to get it in writing. The landlord can refuse to allow you to assign the tenancy.

If the landlord refuses to let you assign

If the landlord refuses to let you assign the rental unit, or does not reply within seven days of your request to assign, you can end your tenancy early by giving your landlord a Tenant's Notice to Terminate the Tenancy (Form N9).

You must give the landlord this notice no more than 30 days after you made your request. You must give your landlord at least 30 days' notice. If you have a daily or weekly tenancy, you must give the landlord at least 28 days' notice.

If the landlord agrees to let you assign

If the landlord agrees to allow you to assign the rental unit, you can try to find a person to rent the unit and ask the landlord to accept this person. The landlord has the right to refuse to let this person become a new tenant, but cannot refuse arbitrarily or unreasonably.

A landlord can charge you for any reasonable costs related to approving the assignment, such as the cost of doing a credit check on the person you want to assign the unit to. The landlord cannot charge you more than their actual costs.

If the landlord does not reply within seven days of your request to assign the rental unit to a specific person, you can end your tenancy early by giving your landlord a Tenant's Notice to Terminate the Tenancy (Form N9).

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Not sure about Ontario, but in BC (for example) a person that sells a property that is tenanted, is in essence `including' the tenant. The new buyer cannot evict the tenant AND...when the tenant is served the two month notice to vacate (to be effective when the lease exires), the second month is free.

Now...if you are refusing to pay the rent, you will likely be evicted. Your landlord had every right to increase the rent based on whatever rules are in place in Ontario. Unless she/he/they increased more than was allowed, you're stuck.

Lastly, you could see if Ontario has something like a `Mutual Agreement to End Tenancy' form that you could propose to your landlord. Tell him that if he agrees to let you terminate the lease, he could list it (now) for a higher rent. Win/win for both of you, but...I suspect this option is probably not feasible, based on your story.
Would add that if you refuse to pay rent you will eventually be evicted and the landlord can go after you for the unpaid rent so not a good idea to not pay rent and think you can avoid relaying the rent that went unpaid.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately you signed a contract. If you had been there over a year you should have just let it switch to a month to month lease where you had to give 60 days notice instead of signing a lease for another year. You chose to sign the lease because you wanted security for your family so now you have to deal with the consequences of signing the lease. Is there a reason you need to leave? Is there something wrong with the apartment for example?

Engineer80

Star Member
Jun 21, 2014
@canuck78

I and my wife have invested in RRSP to reduce our income tax.

Will such investments affect the low-income cut-off threshold level for parents' supper visa or PR visa?

Please guide me

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
@canuck78

I and my wife have invested in RRSP to reduce our income tax.

Will such investments affect the low-income cut-off threshold level for parents' supper visa or PR visa?

Please guide me
Your question was already answered.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......