+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

waivers of residency requirement - out of Canada for work

catteau

May 13, 2015
I have applied for citizenship but I have not been here 1095 days in past 4 years, and I will never be able to be here that much until I retire. I'm a freelance consultant working on short-term overseas assignments - almost all my work is abroad. I'm in Canada enough to maintain residency but never enough to meet the 75%-of-4-years requirement.

I explained all this in great detail in my application. Just finished filling out a residency questionnaire in which I explained it all again, in more great detail, provided contracts for all my work in past four years, lots of data on time overseas, plus the usual info on my home here, community contacts, medical care, etc.

Has anyone applied for citizenship under similar circumstances? Any idea of the chances of getting it?

In January I spoke to an immigration lawyer who advised that I apply immediately - she said the chances were better under the old law, so I should get my application in before the new ones goes into effect. I did that.

Just wondering what others' experience is with this situation, if any.

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
catteau said:
I have applied for citizenship but I have not been here 1095 days in past 4 years, and I will never be able to be here that much until I retire. I'm a freelance consultant working on short-term overseas assignments - almost all my work is abroad. I'm in Canada enough to maintain residency but never enough to meet the 75%-of-4-years requirement.

I explained all this in great detail in my application. Just finished filling out a residency questionnaire in which I explained it all again, in more great detail, provided contracts for all my work in past four years, lots of data on time overseas, plus the usual info on my home here, community contacts, medical care, etc.

Has anyone applied for citizenship under similar circumstances? Any idea of the chances of getting it?

In January I spoke to an immigration lawyer who advised that I apply immediately - she said the chances were better under the old law, so I should get my application in before the new ones goes into effect. I did that.

Zero chances.
The Judge has the power to grant the citizenship regardless meeting requirements, but I doubt will do.
Why do you need the citizenship if it appears is not preventing you to travel anywhere?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
era1521 said:
Zero chances.
The Judge has the power to grant the citizenship regardless meeting requirements, but I doubt will do.
Why do you need the citizenship if it appears is not preventing you to travel anywhere?
Agreed. CIC has never regarded optional lifestyle choices as a reason for not meeting legislation requirements. Your employment is such a lifestyle choice. You *could* change your employment to be in-Canada.

catteau

May 13, 2015
Wow, I didn't know a career that I've been in for almost 30 years was an "optional lifestyle choice!" Though living in Canada is an optional lifestyle choice - I'm here because I really like Newfoundland. If I sought a job in my field in Canada, I'd have to move to Ottawa, as I assume that actual jobs in international development are where CIDA is, just as in the US most of them are in DC. But the point of being in Canada is that I want to live in Newfoundland, so moving to Ottawa would defeat the purpose. Having a total career change at 59 seems unlikely! Besides, the govt would be out a lot of money, as my income would drop an awful lot! ;-)

The reason to seek citizenship is so I can vote. I could stay indefinitely as a permanent resident (assuming that renewing PR is not a problem - I am in country enough time for that), but I'd rather be able to vote.

Interesting that the lawyer I talked to said she thought the odds were 50-50, and that if I came from a country that I couldn't go back to they would be higher. Thank goodness I am not a refugee - I could certainly move back to the US if I had to. And presumably I could stay in Canada as a PR indefinitely. I'm not complaining! Just would rather be a citizen of the country I live in.

Flyeur75

Feb 1, 2014
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUG-2013
AOR Received.
OCT-2013
File Transfer...
JUN-2014
Interview........
SEP-2014
Catteau,

Exceptions to the residence requirement are made for employment-related issues. One of my family members is an airline employee, and due to their flight schedule which takes them out of Canada at least twice a month, they are also never able to meet the 1,095 days requirement. Fellow airline employees have been through the process and have been successful in obtaining an exception to the rule, so there is precedent for someone in your situation.

As long as you can prove to CIC that you have substantial ties to Canada and that Canada is your primary home, you should be fine. It sounds like you have taken the time to provide this evidence, so I imagine you have a convincing case.

Best of luck to you!

janoo

May 16, 2014
All depend on Judge decision , and hopefully the reason you have given will be acceptable

depend on your ties , immediate family, house, car automobiles, taxes paid in Canada.

will take long time to get the judge hearing hope fully with new procedure judge are

available for such hearing. wish you all the best of luck..

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
catteau said:
Wow, I didn't know a career that I've been in for almost 30 years was an "optional lifestyle choice!" Though living in Canada is an optional lifestyle choice - I'm here because I really like Newfoundland. If I sought a job in my field in Canada, I'd have to move to Ottawa, as I assume that actual jobs in international development are where CIDA is, just as in the US most of them are in DC. But the point of being in Canada is that I want to live in Newfoundland, so moving to Ottawa would defeat the purpose. Having a total career change at 59 seems unlikely! Besides, the govt would be out a lot of money, as my income would drop an awful lot! ;-)

The reason to seek citizenship is so I can vote. I could stay indefinitely as a permanent resident (assuming that renewing PR is not a problem - I am in country enough time for that), but I'd rather be able to vote.

Interesting that the lawyer I talked to said she thought the odds were 50-50, and that if I came from a country that I couldn't go back to they would be higher. Thank goodness I am not a refugee - I could certainly move back to the US if I had to. And presumably I could stay in Canada as a PR indefinitely. I'm not complaining! Just would rather be a citizen of the country I live in.
You can search the CIC website for federal appeals of denied citizenship. you can get an idea how they apply the law.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
catteau said:

Overall:

I disagree with those who categorically state there is zero chance, but it is probably safe to say that in general such cases have a low chance of success these days, and given the nature of your employment (but depending on other factors), yours in particular appears to have low odds of being successful.

I suspect the lawyer's fifty-fifty characterization really meant it could go either way, and was not really about the odds. Overall, for example, the odds are almost certainly way, way less than fifty-fifty for a shortfall application (but not zero as some here urge).

Some shortfall applicants have compellingly strong cases. If a lawyer analyzed the particulars of your case, concluded it is a very strong case notwithstanding being short of 1095 days actual presence, then fifty-fifty odds would make sense. Which is to say, to be clear, that if your case is particularly strong, fifty-fifty odds are about as good as the odds can be. (For a shortfall application.)

Most shortfall cases are not compellingly strong cases. Many appear to largely be applications simply submitted too soon, premature at best. Indeed, many appear to be applications made prior to having even four full years of basic residency, let alone after having established a substantial history of a life centralized in Canada.

Whatever the approach was prior to Harper forming the government (going back to 2006), in the last five years it is clear that grants of citizenship to shortfall applicants has been the exception, based on extraordinary circumstances. And it is clear that the extent to which the successful applicant must demonstrate compelling reasons for an exception to be made has increased a great deal in the last couple years.

They are difficult cases to make.

Note: while there are still multiple tests for determining residency, the practical reality is that there are two types of test, the APP test and a qualitative test.

-- the APP test, more than 1095 days actually physically present APP test, is the dominant, and by far most utilized test,

-- and then there are variations of a qualitative test with a life centralized in Canada being the essential, necessary core . . . and just to put this in context, obviously it is difficult to fully demonstrate a life centralized in Canada for anyone who has spent the vast majority of their life outside Canada and only in the last few years has established a residence in Canada and even then has spent more than a quarter of their time outside Canada . . . without even getting into whether or not the reasons for the time outside Canada are of an extraordinary nature warranting counting that time as essentially, nonetheless, as time in Canada.

Context relative to upcoming change in the requirements: more relaxed ratio coming.

It is worth noting that when the changes included in the SCCA finally are implemented (should be within the next few weeks or months), the actual presence test will allow for more flexibility. Currently, as you have noted, a PR must spend 75% of his or her time in Canada to satisfy the physical presence test for residency. When the new requirements are in force, a PR will only need to spend 67% of his or her time in Canada in order to meet the residency requirement.

In this regard, I would note further that if you meet the new residency requirement, that is, if you are spending at least two-thirds of your time in Canada, probably would have been better to wait and apply under the new law.

In contrast, if you do not meet that requirement, and will not, which is to say if you have been spending, and will continue to spend, less than two-thirds of your time in Canada, then I would agree with those who say your odds of success with a current application are indeed probably very, very low, perhaps near zero. Again, though, other factors may have some influence.

There are some indications that until the last few years, again depending on many other factors, the practical cut off for shortfall cases was 900 days of APP . . . that was the threshold below which, as of 2012, CIC had a firm policy requiring a Citizenship Judge hearing (that said, by 2012 it appears that at least a CJ hearing was more likely than not for applicants above the 900 days threshold as well, with a substantial risk for denial . . . again depending on other factors).

What that means, as best I could discern, is that even before the last few years, less than 900 days would most likely result in a denial and only an applicant with more than 900 days had much of a chance.

I offer these more to outline the general parameters. Any shortfall case really depends on the particular facts and circumstances for that specific applicant.

There are, though, some general guides as to what makes a shortfall case stronger or weaker:

-- the more the shortfall, the weaker the case; again, years ago the big cut off appears to have been 900 . . . before Harper, by the way, it was 730 or half the time . . . and in recent years reports of being denied for falling short by just a few days are not unusual

-- more temporary in nature the reason for the absences, the stronger the case

-- the more continuing ties to Canada are entangled in the absence itself the stronger the case; airline employees based in Canada but flying internationally is a good example; that said, a number of Canadian long-haul truck drivers whose employment entailed regular routes into the U.S., resulting in their absence from Canada for more than 25% of the time (which averaging two nights a week for 46 weeks of the year will do, without even counting a single additional holiday to Cancun or weekend shopping trip to the States with the wife), have reported being denied for falling short

-- in contrast, the less connection to Canada the reason for the absences, the weaker the case (your employment appears to be non-Canadian, for example, so my sense is this is a factor which would weaken your case, probably considerably)

These are mere examples in isolation. The specifics of the particular case are what matter . . . recognizing, again, however, that these days the successful shortfall application appears to be an unusual exception, based on very compelling, extraordinary reasons.

By the way, my on-going real time (from early 2011 through somewhat recently, though fading considerably as the number of these cases declined dramatically by the end of 2013) and quite extensive analysis of Federal Court decisions regarding residency assessments, with the qualitative tests for residency looming large, can be found in another forum at immigration . ca.

Feb2012

Jan 19, 2013
Catteau,

I have a similar case to yours.
I applied in Jan 2012 with only ~ 600 days (3 years after landing).
Very strong ties with Canada:
1) Wife and Kids are Canadian citizens and living in canada.
2) Own House, cars, motorcycle,...etc.
3) High income and paying taxes in Canada and never been a burden on Welfare.
4) Working abroad on rotational basis.
5) All my rotational leaves spent in canada. More than 30 entries which indicates a pattern of returning home.

To make the story short, I appeared for citizenship test in March 2015 and during the interview the officer was matching the passport stamps with dates I provided. Never asked why I had only 600 days rather than the 1095 days.

Since then, never heard anyhting from them.
Wishing you all the best.

Note: Never called CIC since my application on 2012. It showed "In Process" from that date till now.

catteau

May 13, 2015
Thanks for all the replies! I'm not holding my breath on getting citizenship, but I'll see how it goes. Not expecting to hear anything in the next few years, either. It's good to know there are others out there in somewhat similar situations.

Feb2012, I'm sorry you haven't heard anything from them. Seeing as how you're married to a Canadian and your children are Canadian, you'd think that would be kind of obvious that you should be a citizen. I'm not married to anyone, no kids, so my ties are weaker everywhere, in that respect.

My travel is all work, I go to different places every tiime, I certainly don't have a home in any of the places where I work. I do have a house in the US which is rented, perhaps they think that the fact that I haven't sold it means I plan to go back to it. I wonder if they think I'm supposed to cash out my US retirement funds (losing a ton of money in the process) and move them to Canada, too! Not gonna happen.

Whatever, either way will work.

neutral

Mar 19, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I agree with Flyeur75.

The process will last long. You need a good lawyer when you appear before the judge.

catteau

May 13, 2015
Neutral, I spoke to a lawyer before I sent in my application. She said that when I get to the judge stage she would not be allowed to speak for me or on my behalf. She could be there, but not say things. Are you suggesting differently? Or just that she could prep me, advise me on what the judge might say and how to respond, etc.?

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Flyeur75 said:
Catteau,

Exceptions to the residence requirement are made for employment-related issues. One of my family members is an airline employee, and due to their flight schedule which takes them out of Canada at least twice a month, they are also never able to meet the 1,095 days requirement. Fellow airline employees have been through the process and have been successful in obtaining an exception to the rule, so there is precedent for someone in your situation.

As long as you can prove to CIC that you have substantial ties to Canada and that Canada is your primary home, you should be fine. It sounds like you have taken the time to provide this evidence, so I imagine you have a convincing case.

Best of luck to you!
I'm actually surprised that they make exceptions for airline employees. My understanding is that the only job related exceptions are for government jobs (like working for the Canadian military abroad, etc). I didn't think they made any exceptions for people employed by a private company.

catteau

May 13, 2015
When I first looked at this stuff on line, it said that those who work for a Canadian company and travel for their work could get a waiver. I travel for my work but am self-employed, not working for a Canadian company. The website may have changed since then.