+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting time to pick up PR at Etobicoke office

ssnagra

Jan 4, 2015
Hi
I received a letter to pick up my PR from Etobicoke office on 7th January. It says office is open from 8 am to 3 pm. If I am there at the opening of office, how much time am I expected to wait before getting the PR?

eileenf

Champion Member
Apr 25, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
How'd it go?

From my experience, most people get their cards within 30 minutes or so.

A few "special" applicants though, especially those that the CIC may have residency concerns about, will wait for an hour or more and may be asked to return another day. I suspect that the delay acts as a "spot check" to assess whether the applicant is in Canada (i.e. available to come in and then return to the office on short notice and not have to fly 1/2 way around the world).

For others who may read this: If you are told that they can't release your card to you but can't tell you why, ask to speak with the officer. Be prepared to wait, hours or all day if necessary.

In my case, my decision to sit and wait to speak with the officer led to the release of my PR card that day (though I had been previously told that was impossible because there was a "problem" but they couldn't tell me what) and also led to action on my citizenship file.

I am now a citizen.