+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting on Pretoria - month 13

U

Unbelievable

Hello,

Before I begin, I would like to thank all those that have taken the time to share there experiences and stories with the rest of us. Somehow reading most of these comments helps me understand that there is still some hope in waiting to be reunited with my spouse.

My spouse's application was received by Pretoria late October 2009. 2 months after, my spouse was called for an interview late March 2010. They immigration officer was not able to issue my spouse a visa because of incomplete information in the background documents. The immigration officer advised my spouse that she would be contacting us in a couple of weeks, 7 months later we are still waiting.

We had procured the services of a lawyer to see us through this process and I wish we had not because their services buried us in debt and the have done very little to help, almost nothing to support or help our situation. I turned to my local MP for help and the got us some feedback, and unfortunately we are still waiting on the background check.

I am hoping that if anyone has faced a similar situation after the interview, perhaps sharing some feedback on any useful tips or helpful information to help me get a better idea on how much longer this might take.

Any responses to this thread will be really appreciated.

Sincerely,

Unbelievable.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Hi Unbelievable

Obviously no way to know what the problem is... have heard someone else that has been waiting a long time without hearing anything beyond In Process from Pretoria (check the Pretoria applicant thread) which makes me wonder if there's been some serious delay during the past year. I mean, realistically things can happen: there could have been a staffing shortage at some point causing delays on background checks, a set of files can get misplaced, there could be an issue with one of the countries you need a background check for... anything is possible.

Just a couple of suggestions if you haven't done them yet:

1. Order your CAIPS notes... might give you a better idea of what's going on... or at least you'll know if there's still some activity going on. Will take about a month to get but after 7 months would definitely be worth checking.

2. You are also absolutely within your right to contact Pretoria once you've waited beyond the quoted timeline. Have you tried contacting them directly? There's a form on their website for case specific inquries. Again, they say up to 30 days to respond so you may be waiting but might help clear up what the issue is.

Good luck to you and please let us know if you figure out what's going on!

U

Unbelievable

Sorry for taking a while to respond, thank you for your feedback it was very encouraging. I still have not heard any news other than what I shared in my last post. I am staying strong and persistent, I just cannot believe we are still waiting on this background check. I wish I could see the procedure in place for following up on background checks, maybe I would have a better appreciation of the work being done and this long drawn out wait time could be justified.

Reading some of the posts and talking to past applicants, it seems that the background checks are always the problem area for applicants, I am really interested in knowing what the Minister is doing to clean up this problem. Our frustrations are real and so is the stress that wakes us up and stays with us through out the day.

My prayer is that after all this suffering, I will be reunited with my spouse in the near future. I will keep you posted and all the best with your application.

Sincerely,

Unbelievable!

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Hi

I can't believe that this is routine... I mean, is there something in your background that would raise red flags?? Did you order your CAIPS notes?? What did they say?

My partner lived in three different African countries and we had delays getting one of the police checks and we've still finished the process in under 6 months (should have the passport back next week).

Are you getting feedback first hand or through your lawyer? I've heard cases of lawyers screwing up applications then covering up...

Don't know what to say... hope you sort this problem out soon!!

U

Unbelievable

Update and venting... :(:mad:

I believe that the timelines are really misleading, we had been counting down from the time Pretoria received our application late October 2009 till today as being month 17. And as I followed up through my MP's office and the CIC call centre, I was told that the Pretoria Visa office has been counting from the date my husband had his interview, which was 5 months after the received the application, meaning the application was sitting on someone's desk for 5 months and the background information was not processed but they went ahead and called him in for an interview just to tell him that the would now start the processing his background information and what he was told should have taken weeks has been a year later.
You don't have to guess that as a sponsor I am frustrated and angry, because I spending my holidays, not so great days, scary days and what could have been great experiences alone instead of sharing them all with my husband. And while I am waiting, the only responses I have been hearing is, "check back in 3 months" or be patient, like this is a game or something. We can't speak to each other as often because my borrowed money is gone and the down payment that we had saved up has been used up.
I try to be appreciative of the work being done to reunite me with my husband, and I hope who ever has the responsibility of gathering and collecting applicants information is working so hard that the are doing their best to reunite us and, I hope the ministry of immigration realizes that these waiting times are damaging to couples and families, the situation would be bearable if couples and families were allowed to come into Canada while "patiently waiting for the application to be finalized". But the latter is not an option; in my experience this has been an emotionally, mentally and financially draining experience that could have been avoided if the processing steps could be reviewed. I understand that medical and security checks need to be done before entry into Canada but if security was such a high priority and important safety measure for our country, why do they have less requirements for people with temporary visas than permanent ones? People do not need to be given a permanent visa to cause harm when the enter Canada, hope the minister knows this, and because I have not lost my sense of humor yet, my hubby should have jumped on a boat like most folks did a few months ago and we could have been in a different place today.

Patiently waiting.

waitingintz

Jul 22, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
26-07-2010
Doc's Request.
01-11-2010
AOR Received.
28-09-2010
File Transfer...
24-08-2010
Med's Done....
22-06-2010
Interview........
waived!!
Passport Req..
16-02-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22/02/2011
LANDED..........
19-5-2011 (hopefully!)
Again - sorry this is happening to you.

It sucks and I'm definitely curious as to why there's been this delay. I know of four applicaitons, including my own, that has been processed in Pretoria in 6 months or less recently. None have been called for interviews. The background checks have taken less than 4 months and we had 3 african countries to do checks in so definitely not on the shorter end of things. The reality with background checks is that there's not necessarily much the visa office can do.. it depends on the countries being checked being helpful and quick about things.

I'm surprised nothing pops up to you as being the likely cause of the delay... something must have raised a red flag.

DiW

Sep 24, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, I am also applying thru Pretoria Office under federal skilled work 26/June

I want to ask you a question, if you don't mind.

I have missed 2 private calls (numbers hidden) last week. I am so concerned that it was Pretoria Office calling. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Will Pretoria call us with their number hidden or not, do you remember?

Many Many thanks
Di

U

Unbelievable

Re: Waiting on Pretoria - month 20

Sorry I was absent for a while. My husband was asked to redo his medicals 6 weeks ago and the results were received.

The only way I have managed to get any type of response from Pretoria was through my MP's office. My husband's background check was clear, and I don't understand the complication. We just want this to be over so we can get on with our lives. This has really been a miserable experience to deal with and I honestly would not wish this on anyone!

Anyways, all the best to they rest!

U

Unbelievable

Re: Waiting on Pretoria - month 22

22 months, how disappointing this ministry and Government are, clueless and sloppy. I wish the NDP got elected into power this year, I know things would have been different because the actually look at all involved in the sponsorship application process as humans not a backlog number. They are unsympathetic to those sponsors who don't have the power to fight them because of lack of political or financial influence. It will not surprise me if just for their enjoyment they keep me and my husband apart for Christmas and New Year again this year, we have met all their requirements and everything has been received and yet the deliberating continue to laugh at people like us struggling. And the sleep at night with no regret of the pain and misery the cause us.

Karma will catch up with all involved grantee and your PM! :-\

zokas

Oct 28, 2009
pretoria
Visa Office......
pretoria
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
am in the some situation 24 months to be exact dont give up get strong

U

Unbelievable

Thank you for taking the time to read my post and for your support. I am sorry to hear that you have been waiting for so long and for being kept away from your family. It is really sad that this is what we are all dealing with on a daily basis. I am sure the immigration officers have their hands full with the backlog but it would be nice if the minister sends them some help and not excuses.
I am not sure how long it took them to get my husband's background check but I did order our caips notes 6 weeks ago, so we hope we can find out some answers. Wished the could revise there family reunification process, and put in place a maximum wait time of 12 months at which time the have to give applicants a temporary visa to join their family and they can continue waiting for the results or reports, at least the are not keeping anyone apart. If a decision is not made by September, I will follow up with the ministers office, and post messages on Twitter and FB.
If I can't have my beloved for the holidays, I will make sure they all know how it feels. ::)

U

Unbelievable

Hi again Zokas,

Please let her know she is welcome to catch me here anytime, I wish I could have inboxed you my email address but I have come to realize that this is not the best site to navigate through so for now we can chat here. Living in Toronto or surrounding towns/cities is not easy for a mother and a child especially when dealing with this situation. I am sure if most people realized how long it would take to be reunited with their families, the would have chosen a different route. I believe the process has failed all those that have waited beyond the posted so called processing times. And the always say the reason for the lengthy wait times is because of the background checks, which are an important requirements however it seems to me that it is also one of the most expensive and lengthy part of the process for the Government and the applicant. As sponsors we are living in a terrible nightmare with our eyes wide open watching as the world around us moves on, and I really find it insulting when immigration says the care and the are doing their best, but how am I convinced of this when I am the one counting months and years apart from my loved one with no sign of relief in sight.
It is sad that instead of being a part of the community I live in, my decision has now been if it has nothing to do with my immigration situation then I do not want to be involved or count me out, it is a selfish decision but unfortunately this situation brings out the worst in people especially those suffering as we are.

Jason Kenney should care more... not less ;D