+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for Oath invite / PR expiring soon

GrandeAmericano

Feb 17, 2016
Hi,

need some advice from experts. I'm currently working outside of Canada and waiting for Oath invitation so I can schedule time off from work to go back to Canada for couple weeks.
I've delayed the Oath invite once last year December, and been waiting for the 2nd? invitation ever since. (emailed the office a few weeks ago and they're saying my file remains with the "Testing Team", and I'm not sure what that means)

The problem is that my PR card expires this year in September and I really don't want to risk of not being able to take the Oath before then.

any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
Yeah you're in a tough pickle. I was going to say renew your PR card since it takes 3 months, but there's a good chance IRCC will ask you to pick it up in person. Best you can do is hope the oath invitation comes sooner than later.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Why do you need couple weeks in Canada? The oath itself needs several hours. What you actually need is a Canadian address so that the certificate can be mailed to you.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
Hi,

need some advice from experts. I'm currently working outside of Canada and waiting for Oath invitation so I can schedule time off from work to go back to Canada for couple weeks.
I've delayed the Oath invite once last year December, and been waiting for the 2nd? invitation ever since. (emailed the office a few weeks ago and they're saying my file remains with the "Testing Team", and I'm not sure what that means)

The problem is that my PR card expires this year in September and I really don't want to risk of not being able to take the Oath before then.

any advice/feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
You can apply for PRTD via a Canadian embassy even after your card expires.

GrandeAmericano

Feb 17, 2016
Why do you need couple weeks in Canada? The oath itself needs several hours. What you actually need is a Canadian address so that the certificate can be mailed to you.
I need the certificate, and also the passport to travel back for work. I heard the processing time takes quite long nowadays, so I'm looking at 2-3weeks.

Dreamlad

Champion Member
Jan 11, 2016
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
08-04-2017
Med's Done....
23-06-2017
PRTD that's interesting. does that mean I don't really need to take the Oath before my PR card expires?
I'm unable to answer that since I don't know how you're fulfilling your residency requirement (2 out of 5 yrs).

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I need the certificate, and also the passport to travel back for work. I heard the processing time takes quite long nowadays, so I'm looking at 2-3weeks.
At current times, you probably need more than 3 weeks time (counting from the oath) to get the certificate and passport. So you probably have to apply your first passport outside Canada in a consulate.

GrandeAmericano

Feb 17, 2016
At current times, you probably need more than 3 weeks time (counting from the oath) to get the certificate and passport. So you probably have to apply your first passport outside Canada in a consulate.
Thanks for the comment. but isn't it illegal to use my old passport since after the oath with the certificate I have officially became Canadian citizen?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks for the comment. but isn't it illegal to use my old passport since after the oath with the certificate I have officially became Canadian citizen?
Canada allows dual (or multiple) nationality. So it is not illegal in Canada to use the other national passport.

americanidiot

Sep 18, 2021
It's only illegal if that other passport is of a country that doesn't allow dual nationality e.g Austria, China, India. Canada does allow dual nationality