+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Waiting for interview call

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Hi All,

It has been almost 9 months since I have applied for my citizenship and I am still awaiting a decision on my application. As I am based in Mississauga I believe that my application is with Mississauga office.

Here are my details :-
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 11, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 12, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on November 2, 2017.
Any thoughts / comments / suggestions ?

I am getting a little frustrated now to be honest as I know people who applied after me and have either got a test call / oath call.

Last edited:

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Hi All,

It has been almost 9 months since I have applied for my citizenship and I am still awaiting a decision on my application. As I am based in Mississauga I believe that my application is with Mississauga office.

Here are my details :-
  1. We received your application for Canadian citizenship (grant of citizenship) on September 11, 2017.
  2. We sent you correspondence acknowledging receipt of your application(s), and a study book called Discover Canada on October 12, 2017.
  3. We started processing your application on November 2, 2017.
Any thoughts / comments / suggestions ?

I am getting a little frustrated now to be honest as I know people who applied after me and have either go a test call / oath call.
Your frustration is understandable. You can try calling IRCC, but the likely result is someone giving you the canned response that 12 months hasn't passed. Same with getting your MP involved. That said, a few people have had some success going those routes. It couldn't hurt, that's for sure.

Reactions: nick677

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
Appreciate your response.

Yeah I did call IRCC a couple of months ago and after innumberable attempts I got to speak with an agent who like you said gave me the standard response that my case is still within the 12 month window so I needed to wait.

A few people have told me about the MP option and I believe that I will need to exercise it now as this is getting really ridiculous.

I have been in Canada for more than 5 years now.....came under the 3 year rule which was changed to 4 years and then back to 3 years. As much as I love Canada I really think we need to sort out our immigration system once and for all because I know alot of people who are getting frustrated with the system.

sns204

Champion Member
Dec 12, 2012
Try the MP route. It's possible they will just say the same about 12 months or you may find that it's legitimately held up because of a background check, or maybe it will spark some movement out of a pile sitting on someone's desk. Worth a shot.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I agree...Appreciate the suggestion.

I just reached out to my local MP through an email. Let's see what she responds back.

Last edited:

FloydCan

Star Member
Nov 17, 2017
I think they're shelving applications while they process others and wait until the last moment to finish the shelved ones. So most likely they will contact you late this month or next month for a test thats after one month and then oath one month after that. This way they ensure you're within one year. That's how I see it although with Mississauga nothing is predictable.

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
I think they're shelving applications while they process others and wait until the last moment to finish the shelved ones. So most likely they will contact you late this month or next month for a test thats after one month and then oath one month after that. This way they ensure you're within one year. That's how I see it although with Mississauga nothing is predictable.
I hope you are correct Sir. What you say makes sense but it's certainly not the right way to do things to be honest. They are playing with people's lives and their plans. As it is we have so much of stress and the last thing I want to have is stress related to my citizenship application especially when I have completed all the requirements and provided all the requisite information to CIC.

Keeping fingers crossed.

Appreciate the information / advice provided.

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
I agree...Appreciate the suggestion.

I just reached out to my local MP through an email. Let's see what she responds back.
well, I did that, so don't get your hopes up...
I called the MP's office, and told them about my case, they said they'd look into it, and emailed me a consent form to fill out/sign/return to them
a couple of weeks later I got a call from the office, was told exactly the same thing as the IRCC agent told me, no new information - I guess what they did was just calling IRCC for me, so I didn't have to call and press 1141 and wait for 40 minutes to hear the same story again LOL

nick677

Star Member
Jun 1, 2018
well, I did that, so don't get your hopes up...
I called the MP's office, and told them about my case, they said they'd look into it, and emailed me a consent form to fill out/sign/return to them
a couple of weeks later I got a call from the office, was told exactly the same thing as the IRCC agent told me, no new information - I guess what they did was just calling IRCC for me, so I didn't have to call and press 1141 and wait for 40 minutes to hear the same story again LOL
Sorry to hear that.

How long have you been waiting for your citizenship grant application ? When did you apply ?