Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
not requested:)
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
Is this allowable?

ie, I am getting into Film, and wish to work, for free as a production assistant for a production house while my PR app is being processed, to gain experience and "a foot in the door".

Is this against any rules?

IA

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
nope. Perfectly fine as long as you are not actively seeking a job. Have fun.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
AllisonVSC said:
Sweet!

IA

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
AllisonVSC said:
That's not entirely true. You can do volunteer work in positions that are not normally paid (e.g., house building for Habitat for Humanity), but not for positions that are considered "normal work". I that that a production assistant position falls into that latter category unfortunately.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Is it a job that would otherwise be paid, or is it more like something that would be an unpaid internship anyway? If it is, it's probably ok.

Dayanara

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
Brampton, ON
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
13-07-2010
AOR Received.
07-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-08-2010
Med's Done....
20-05-2010
Passport Req..
30-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2010
LANDED..........
07-10-2010
As someone who has worked in the film & tv field, I can tell you PA positions are typically not paid. Most low budget, and even some larger budget films just get random people to help out. It is not a "normal paying" job. Only reason I could not stay in the field I love, could not work for free to get the experience I needed to get the paying jobs :( A good chunk of the places only take your name and phone number, nothing else, no SIN, no address, nada.

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
sbwv09 said:
Is it a job that would otherwise be paid, or is it more like something that would be an unpaid internship anyway? If it is, it's probably ok.
yup, more like an unpaid internship.

Re working, as I understand it from my other threads, I cannot apply for a TWP as I do not have a job offer, and I certainly dont have an employer with an LMO.

Right now though, Im reading through that form, 'CHANGE CONDITIONS, EXTEND OR REMAIN IN CANADA' etc etc.

As I am here on a visitor visa (my Irish passport counts as such, and is good for 6 months), which counts as Legal Temporary Status, I can supposedly apply for a change in conditions, allowing me to work temporarily while my PR is being process?

God this has to be the most murky process/situation I have ever encountered.

sbwv09

Feb 18, 2010
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Buffalo/NYC
App. Filed.......
May 17, 10
File Transfer...
June 22, 10/August 31, 10 (to NYC)
Med's Done....
April 6, 10
Passport Req..
September 13, 10
VISA ISSUED...
9/28, Received 10/21
LANDED..........
10/22/10
Irish, it is very frustrating not being able to work while waiting for PR.. I'm right there in that boat! I think you're pretty much stuck unless you have a job offer. I stand to be corrected though.. :)

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
sbwv09 said:
Irish, it is very frustrating not being able to work while waiting for PR.. I'm right there in that boat! I think you're pretty much stuck unless you have a job offer. I stand to be corrected though.. :)
-bugger.... :(

RobsLuv

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Original:14Mar2007; Reprocess began after appeal:26Apr2010
Doc's Request.
Original:9May'07; Reprocess:7May'10
AOR Received.
Original:28Apr'07; Reprocess:26Apr'10
File Transfer...
n/a
Med's Request
Reprocessing:7May2010
Med's Done....
Jun2010
Interview........
n/a
Passport Req..
30Nov2010!!
VISA ISSUED...
31Dec2010!!
LANDED..........
31Jan2011
Just for the record, here's the official information from Section 5.1 of the CIC Foreign Worker's Manual:

5.1. Overview
The Regulations specify that the worker class is a class of persons who may become temporary residents. A worker may be authorized to work without a work permit R186, or may be authorized to work by the issuance of a work permit pursuant to Part 11 of the Regulations.

Definition of “Work”
[R2]
“Work” is defined in the Regulations as an activity for which wages are paid or commission is earned, or that competes directly with activities of Canadian citizens or permanent residents in the Canadian labour market.
“ Wages or commission”
This includes salary or wages paid by an employer to an employee, remuneration or commission received for fulfilling a service contract, or any other situation where a foreign national receives payment for performing a service.
What is an activity that “competes directly”?
Officers should consider whether there is entry into the labour market. Questions to consider:
• Will they be doing an activity that a Canadian or permanent resident should really have an opportunity to do?
• Will they be engaging in a business activity that is competitive in the marketplace?
If the answer to either of these questions is ‘yes', the foreign national intends to engage in competitive activity, which would be considered “work”.

Examples of “work” include, but are not limited to:
• a foreign technician coming to repair a machine, or otherwise fulfil a contract, even when they will not be paid directly by the Canadian company for whom they are doing the work;
• self-employment, which could constitute a competitive economic activity such as opening a dry- cleaning shop or fast-food franchise. (A self-employed person may also be considered to be working if they receive a commission or payment for services);
• unpaid employment undertaken for the purpose of obtaining work experience, such as an internship or practicum normally done by a student.
What kind of activities are not considered to be “work”?
• An activity which does not really ‘take away' from opportunities for Canadians or permanent residents to gain employment or experience in the workplace is not “work” for the purposes of the definition.
Examples of activities for which a person would not normally be remunerated or which would not compete directly with Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents in the Canadian labour market and which would normally be part-time or incidental to the reason that the person is in Canada include, but are not limited to:
• volunteer work for which a person would not normally be remunerated, such as sitting on the board of a charity or religious institution; being a ‘big brother' or ‘big sister' to a child; being on the telephone line at a rape crisis centre. (Normally this activity would be part time and ncidental to the main reason that a person is in Canada);
• unremunerated help by a friend or family member during a visit, such as a mother assisting a daughter with childcare, or an uncle helping his nephew build his own cottage;
• long distance (by telephone or internet) work done by a temporary resident whose employer is outside Canada and who is remunerated from outside Canada;
• self-employment where the work to be done would have no real impact on the labour market, nor really provide an opportunity for Canadians. Examples include a U.S. farmer crossing the border to work on fields that he owns, or a miner coming to work on his own claim.

There may be other types of unpaid short-term work where the work is really incidental to the main reason that a person is visiting Canada and is not a competitive activity, even though nonmonetary valuable consideration is received. For instance, if a tourist wishes to stay on a family farm and work part time just for room and board for a short period (i.e., 1-4 weeks), this person would not be considered a worker.
We recognize that there may be overlap in activities that we do not consider to be work and those activities which are defined as work not requiring a work permit in R186. However, the net effect (no work permit required) is the same."

I think you should read it over and decide for yourself.

grettta

Star Member
Feb 9, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-12-2009
Doc's Request.
12-02-2010
AOR Received.
19-01-2010
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
18-06-2010
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2010
LANDED..........
22-06-2010
Dayanara said:
As someone who has worked in the film & tv field, I can tell you PA positions are typically not paid.
Really? Because a friend of mine has been working as a production assistant for years for various production companies (in both film and television) and has always been paid, and paid fairly well. Either that or she has a money tree in her back yard :)

Dayanara

Star Member
Jun 1, 2010
Brampton, ON
Visa Office......
Buffalo
App. Filed.......
13-07-2010
AOR Received.
07-09-2010
File Transfer...
16-08-2010
Med's Done....
20-05-2010
Passport Req..
30-09-2010
VISA ISSUED...
07-10-2010
LANDED..........
07-10-2010
grettta said:
Really? Because a friend of mine has been working as a production assistant for years for various production companies (in both film and television) and has always been paid, and paid fairly well. Either that or she has a money tree in her back yard :)
She is one of the lucky ones. If you are lucky enough to find a decent paying one it is really rare. Many companies feed off the overwhelming population of wannabe film makers and their willingness for experience with no pay or lower than minimum wage pay.

I went to college for film & tv production and many of my friends found decent jobs, but took a lot of working for free or almost free to get where they are now. I sadly could not afford it and had to find work outside the field.

lizet

Jan 4, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Med's Done....
28-04-2010
I have a question about volunteering too!

I am doing some volunteer work at a church and right now me and my husband are filling out the forms to sponsor me for permanent residents. Since I'm volunteering in a church, would that be some information I should fill out in the forms in the sections about which organizations I am part of. I'm not a member of the church though..! Just want to make sure, so they don't think I'm trying to hide something!

IrishApplicant

Star Member
Jun 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Aug 20th 2010
File Transfer...
Oct 18th 2010
Med's Done....
July 2010
Interview........
Passport Req..
Feb 5th. 2010
lizet said:
I have a question about volunteering too!

I am doing some volunteer work at a church and right now me and my husband are filling out the forms to sponsor me for permanent residents. Since I'm volunteering in a church, would that be some information I should fill out in the forms in the sections about which organizations I am part of. I'm not a member of the church though..! Just want to make sure, so they don't think I'm trying to hide something!
i'd declare it.
1. a church is a good thing to be part of
2. youre volunteering in the community - unpaid, and helping people. Thats all good.

IA

B

buddhadimple

What about "volunteering" in exchange for accommodation (no money switching hands)?

We're thinking about going to Canada early while we wait. Obviously I could work but he could not. But he would need a daily routine or he would go crazy - so we were thinking he could help my mom out (a lawyer) in her office and help her get her business up and running. But this would be unpaid, and a "favour" in exchange for her setting us up in a house on her property, as well as just a hobby as something he could burn time doing instead of sitting at home being bored and unproductive all day.

Is that allowed?