+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

voluntarily relinquishing PR

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hi !

I just wanted to know what kind of circumstances does CIC considers for voluntarily relinquishing the PR status .

Is studying in your home country considered as an exceptional circumstance if you would not be able to meet the residency obligations because of it as in my case ?

Thanks !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

tegveer said:
Hi !

I just wanted to know what kind of circumstances does CIC considers for voluntarily relinquishing the PR status .

Is studying in your home country considered as an exceptional circumstance if you would not be able to meet the residency obligations because of it as in my case ?

Thanks !
The only thing that CIC considers to maintain your PR status while outside Canada, is accompanying a Canadian citizen spouse, working abroad for a Canadian company, working for a Federal/Prov. Gov't agency abroad. Other than that you are out of luck.

PMM

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
tegveer, you have been on this forum asking about this for months. I think it is time that you contacted the embassy where you are studying to ask them. I am not sure if you can relinquish your PR while you still meet the residency requirements. You may have to wait until you don't meet them any more but do ask and then come back here and tell us what they said.

Your parents in Canada can also phone the CIC call centre and ask them what they think or they could have a chat with an immigration lawyer to make sure it's all by the book.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
yeah! I know and I am sorry ! . In their previous mail they send me the imm5539b form and said that you can cancel it in exceptional circumstances I did send a mail to them now asking the same question as in this forum and waiting for the reply.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Do you still meet the residency requirements? If not, then you can tell them that you don't and that should be enough reason. If you still meet the residency requirements, just wait until you don't any more.

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
Tegveer:

May I ask , what are your reasons for wanting to cancel your permanent residency? Your PR allows you to visit Canada easily, until you cannot meet the 730 day requirement.

tegveer

Star Member
Aug 15, 2009
Hey toby ! thanks for your concern!
Well thats a long story , I will be studying here in my homecountry for four and half more years ( I know that sounds stupid as I ultimately intend to move to Canada but I have my reasons ) . So I thought it would be better if I somehow relinquish my PR status and get sponsered again by my parents just to bypass these residency requirements.

zygurn

Star Member
Dec 26, 2007
Category........
Visa Office......
Guatemala
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-06-2009
AOR Received.
09-06-2009
Med's Request
17-08-2009
Med's Done....
14-09-2009
Interview........
02-12-2008
Passport Req..
28-10-2009
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2009
LANDED..........
10-03-2010
tegveer said:
I do meet the residency requirement and I will for two more years
So let me get this straight, you meet the residence requirement (2 years) and you will stay in Canada for 2 more years, right? Why not get citizenship and then you can go to your home country and do your studies there for 5 years and come back to Canada with a canadian passport without issue. Unless your home country doesn't allow for dual citizenship, I think this is the easiest way to go.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No, he is already studying in his home country and will be there for 4.5 more years but still has 2 more years that he meets the residency requirements for his PR.

If he relinquishes his PR after 2 years because he doesn't meet the residency requirements any more, it should be possible for his parents to sponsor him again, since he's still a full time student.

If he waits until his PR card actually expires, he will need to make sure he keeps his status of full time student to be sponsored.