+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitors visa for cruise

devnani

May 11, 2014
Hello,
We are taking a cruise (round trip from seattle) with a stop in Victoria and one of us is an Indian Passport holder. I've Applied for a visitors visa online on 10th May for this. The Cruise date is June 15th, so I have 35 days for processing. I've given all possible itineraries, documents and cover letter explaining the urgency of processing it before that date.
Should I be worrying for the next month? Are there any reassuring stories out there? Or any nightmare stories of losing out on the cruise? I had no idea at the time of booking the cruise that one could apply online for a canadian visa.

Thanks.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
devnani said:
Hello,
We are taking a cruise (round trip from seattle) with a stop in Victoria and one of us is an Indian Passport holder. I've Applied for a visitors visa online on 10th May for this. The Cruise date is June 15th, so I have 35 days for processing. I've given all possible itineraries, documents and cover letter explaining the urgency of processing it before that date.
Should I be worrying for the next month? Are there any reassuring stories out there? Or any nightmare stories of losing out on the cruise? I had no idea at the time of booking the cruise that one could apply online for a canadian visa.

Thanks.
Before booking any travel you should look for all possible documents you might need.

There have been visas taking as little as 10 business days to have the passport in your hand. Other visas can take up to 40 business days.

No need to miss the cruise, but you will have to remain on board while the cruise is in Canadian shores.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jalex23 said:
Before booking any travel you should look for all possible documents you might need.

There have been visas taking as little as 10 business days to have the passport in your hand. Other visas can take up to 40 business days.

No need to miss the cruise, but you will have to remain on board while the cruise is in Canadian shores.
Incorrect. If the OP doesn't have a Canadian visa, the cruise line will not allow him to board.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
PMM said:
Hi

Incorrect. If the OP doesn't have a Canadian visa, the cruise line will not allow him to board.
I have seen several people not being allowed to disembark but still able to enjoy the cruise. True it is that this hasn't been in any Canadian ports.

Thanks for pointing that out.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Jalex23 said:
I have seen several people not being allowed to disembark but still able to enjoy the cruise. True it is that this hasn't been in any Canadian ports.

Thanks for pointing that out.
The OP may wish to read the following from the LA web site: http://can-am.gc.ca/visas/visit-visite.aspx?lang=eng

Carry Proper Identification

For U.S. citizens, acceptable documents to prove this status include the US passport, a birth certificate or naturalization certificate. However, U.S. citizens will be required to show a valid U.S. passports to re-enter the United States.
For U.S. permanent residents, acceptable documents to prove this status include a valid green card, and a valid I-551 endorsement in their passport. It is also advisable to bring a valid picture ID, such as a driver's license.
Cruise passengers: if you go on a cruise that will pass through Canadian territory, you must apply for a Visitor Visa (not a transit visa) if you require a visitor visa to enter Canada. This is regardless of whether or not you intend to go ashore.

devnani

May 11, 2014
Thanks for your responses. Yes I was well aware of the fact that Canadian visa was necessary prior to boarding for the cruise. However, I wasn't aware that there was absolutely no way to expedite a visa or that the only consulate in the US where one can go personally was the LA consulate, or that processing times were as long as 40 days.
I'm certainly on edge about this.
In a worst case scenario, can I go personally to the LA consulate and request a visa stamp for an application which is already being processed online?
Or is there an email/postal address where I can send a letter requesting them to process this on a priority basis?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
devnani said:
Or is there an email/postal address where I can send a letter requesting them to process this on a priority basis?
Yes, there is a way but this is only for emergencies. An emergency is something that couldn't been plan in advance. So you are not elegible.

As I see it you don't have any other option but to wait and hope for the best. Good luck.

devnani

May 11, 2014
Jalex23 said:
Yes, there is a way but this is only for emergencies. An emergency is something that couldn't been plan in advance. So you are not elegible.

As I see it you don't have any other option but to wait and hope for the best. Good luck.
Thanks... can you send this contact information to me please? I'd really appreciate it. I don't intend to use it unless I get desperate towards the approaching date. If you like I can send you my email address if you'd like to send it privately.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
devnani said:
Thanks... can you send this contact information to me please? I'd really appreciate it. I don't intend to use it unless I get desperate towards the approaching date. If you like I can send you my email address if you'd like to send it privately.
I have a better idea. You can send private messages in this forum.

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
devnani said:
I quote from the site:

"Please note that your request for urgent processing will only be considered in exceptional circumstances. Not planning well in advance the processing of your application is NOT an exceptional circumstance that deserves urgent processing."

Even though you are not elegible by any means, I think this has to be done when you apply.

BTW it is not as if I manage secret information... everything I know is public. This is the resource I know, I don't know if this applies to all countries though.
http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/mexico-mexique/visas/forms_temporary_resident_temporaire_formulaires.aspx?lang=eng

devnani

May 11, 2014
Here's a story with a happy ending...
Here's a short cut to this entire process.. no need to go through the extra fees of CSC consular service or the VAC consent form etc.
I applied for my mom's visitors visa on the 10th of May (Saturday). On the 13th of May I got the email request to send passport. The link on the letter was directly to the Canadian immigration website. On the 14th of May, (after much debate and research about whether to send the passport to the LA or the NY consulate), I sent the passport with the submission letter via Fedex to the New York Consulate. YES, THEY DO ACCEPT PASSPORTS TO STAMP VISA. I also included the return prepaid Fedex envelope within this package.
The passport reached New York on the 16th (Friday). On the 20th (Tuesday) I got an email that my status was updated online. Checked and found that the application was closed and that the visa was approved. Received the stamped passport back via Fedex on the 22nd (Thursday). Total time from application to stamped passport was 12 days.
From what I'm reading online, the LA submission process is just an additional delay and expense. On the very first page of the CSC form that you download, it says that "the use of CSC's service is voluntary". It also says that CSC is not an agent of the Government of Canada and that it's a completely independent organization.
I hope this helps others who are caught in this predicament.

wolfcry

May 29, 2014
devnani, I am in the same boat. The cruise is 7/26 and I just found out how long the processing time is :(
I am planning to submit it today but I wonder what you have said in your letter to explain the urgency. From the outsider point of view, it is totally lack of planning on my end. But how did you convince them to expedite for you? Thanks.

wolfcry

May 29, 2014
Jalex23, I read the contrary. He explained his urgency in the application online for sure. I suppose he did the same thing when he sent the passport to NY consulate.

Senthil06

Dec 18, 2013
Hi,

I'm planning to send our passport to NY office, Just want to make sure Can I include mine and my wife's passport in same package and one prepaid envelope for both cases or I need to send it separately ?

Thanks,
Senthil