+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa while waiting for spousal PR

Cokolada

Jan 14, 2014
Hello,

Can someone please answer on my question regrading visitor visa while waiting for sponsorship application to be approved.

I am currently in Canada and my husband applied for sponsorship,but with my work permit expiring soon I was advised to apply for visitor visa a week before my work permit expires so that way I could stay with my husband until decision is made.
If I get that visitor visa,is that a multiple entry visa? Or is that a certain type of visa which only allows you to stay while waiting for the decision?
The reason I ask is in case I want to visit my family would I be able to do that having that visitor visa?

Thank you in advance!

Happy Holidays!

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
if you are currently on a work visa, then in order to stay beyond the validity date, you need to apply to change your status and extend your stay as a visitor. generally, pr applicants are rarely denied extensions. i'm not sure why you were told to wait until 1 week before your visa expires, that is incorrect from what I know. it is usually recommended to apply to extend your stay at least 30 days before the expiration of your current visa.

I don't believe this extension acts as a multiple entry visa. technically, it's suppose to expire if you leave the country. especially since you need a valid visa to re-enter Canada, I can't imagine the extension would be enough to gain re-entry, so in order to re-enter you will need to apply for a visitor's visa from your home country.