+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa refused - Employment time too short

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Hello everybody,

My application for Visitor Visa got refused. One of the reasons was that my employment period is too short (8 months at the time of application).

Does anyone know how long the employment period needs to be from the perspective of IRCC ?

Thanks.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
You'll need to consider all the reasons for your TRV refusal vis-a-vis the single reason for employment.

1. Is this your first job? Or were you employed before your current employment? If yes, what evidence did you provide for any previous employment?

2. Have you filed ITRs?

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Hello Bryanna,

thank you for the prompt reply.

1. This is the third job in my life. At first job I was employed for 4,5 months, at second job I stayed for a year and currently I am working 11 months in this company. I have not provided any documentation regarding my previous employment, I just noted it in the application form. There were no unemployment periods between each of those three jobs.

2. I am sorry, I don't know what ITRs are :/

Here is the list of reasons for refusal:

- You have not satisfy me that you will leave Canada at the end of your stay as a temporary resident. I considered several factors:
* Travel History
* Family ties in Canada and in country of residence (the purpose of my visit to Canada is to spend two weeks of my vacation with my boyfriend living in Ontario)
* Employment prospects in country of residence (I don't quite understand this one)
* Current employment situation
* Personal assets and financial status (do I have to have my own assets in my country in order to spend 2 weeks in Canada? I don't own any assets)
- I am not satisfied that you have sufficient funds, including income and assets, to carry out your stated purpose in going to Canada or to maintain yourself while in Canada and to effect your departure.
- You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your/your host's income and assets.

My boyfriend is my host and he will be covering my expenses.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

This is the third job in my life. At first job I was employed for 4,5 months, at second job I stayed for a year and currently I am working 11 months in this company. I have not provided any documentation regarding my previous employment, I just noted it in the application form. There were no unemployment periods between each of those three jobs.
The visa officer would like to see that you've been in stable employment for significant time. As you've worked for only 11 months in your current workplace, you should've included evidence of your previous job too.

Ideally, you should've submitted:
For your current employment: A leave approval letter from your employer + employment letter + 3-4 months pay stubs + 4-6 months bank statements to confirm salary transfers + 2 years ITR (income tax returns)

For your previous job: Employment letter + Employment certificate

Travel History
It would've helped if you had traveled to countries that require visas such as the US, the UK/Schengen, Australia, etc.... for short visits

Family ties in Canada and in country of residence (the purpose of my visit to Canada is to spend two weeks of my vacation with my boyfriend living in Ontario)
This refusal reason means you are likely to overstay your visit because of your boyfriend. Hence, your family ties to Canada outweigh those to your home country

Employment prospects in country of residence (I don't quite understand this one)
I have explained this

Personal assets and financial status (do I have to have my own assets in my country in order to spend 2 weeks in Canada? I don't own any assets)
Personal assets and financial status indicate the applicant's economic situation.

For example, property/land ownership + or a rent agreement + strong financial situation means an applicant is less likely to work illegally/more likely to return to his/her home country.

You have not provided sufficient documentation to support your/your host's income and assets.
What documents did he provide?

Basically, you must demonstrate strong ties/reasons to return to your home country such as employment + good financial situation to be able to afford the visit without depending on your boyfriend to pay for it + family in your home country + property/land/rent agreement + previous travel history

Cheers

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Bryanna,

all of this is sounds very useful, thank you so much.

When it comes to documentation regarding my boyfriend's income and assets I haven't submitted anything when I applied. Which documents would you recommend?

I believe that tax return is visible in my pay slips, although I will check if I could get something like that.

Travel history: I have just obtained a UK visitor visa, my company is sending me on a 3-week long business trip there in several days. I have around 20 countries visited in Schengen area+6 months of living in Germany for internship purposes. The latest country I traveled to is China two months ago.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
When it comes to documentation regarding my boyfriend's income and assets I haven't submitted anything when I applied. Which documents would you recommend?
Such as his employment letter + NOA + bank statements. However, it's not mandatory for the host to provide any of these documents. You must prove that you can afford the visit/airfare with your finances.

Travel history: I have just obtained a UK visitor visa, my company is sending me on a 3-week long business trip there in several days. I have around 20 countries visited in Schengen area+6 months of living in Germany for internship purposes. The latest country I traveled to is China two months ago.
Do give these details in the 'Travel History' section of your application form (if it has this section).

Else, you must prepare a Travel History explanation (giving visa details + entry/exit dates + purpose for each visit).... especially if you apply online because you wouldn't be submitting your passport until you get a passport request

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
I would also like you hear your opinion about the following.

I applied for Visa on March 6th and received refusal letter on March 30th.
My trip to Canada is booked for June 23rd until July 8th - the plane tickets are not refundable.

Do you think that it would be ok to re-apply again at the end of May (after I come back from UK)?
Or maybe it would be smarter to try to rebook my trip for later months and apply after more time passes by from my first unsuccessful application?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My advice is to reconsider your application as a complete package.

One of the main reasons for your TRV refusal is wanting to visit your boyfriend. Having said that, it is best to be honest about your relationship. To negate this refusal reason, your ties to your home country/country of residence must be really solid.

It would be easier to advise if you share the list of documents which you intend to submit. Also, will your personal/professional situation change after your UK visit (or only your travel history)?

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
After I come back from UK I will still have the same position, but my everyday tasks will be completely different. I will start working on more complicated tasks with three client representative managers (they are higher in hierarchy than me) for a company's top client and I will still be in that role after my vacation in Canada. My manager could explain that in a Guarantee Letter.

These are the documents I submitted in my first application:

- Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident) Made Outside of Canada (IMM5257)
- Travel history – a scan of an old passport
- Valid Passport scan
- Invitation Letter from my boyfriend (it was too short)
- Proof of Means of Financial Support – bank statements for the previous 4 months for bank accounts in RSD, EUR and USD; Employment Letter
- Digital photo
- Purpose od Travel – return plane ticket
- Proof of Relationship – my boyfriend’s birth certificate
- Family information IMM5645 with my 3 family members – father and brother living in country of residence and mother living abroad

For my 2nd application I would like to emphasize my current employment. I plan to add the following documents, like you advised:
- A leave approval from my employer - it is a 100% paid vacation
- Guarantee letter from my manager explaining that I am in the middle of a special post-UK project and that at the time when I come back I need to continue working on that project (in the meantime my team will continue working on usual daily tasks. UK business trip is considered as a merit based reward in my team and only one person travels each 3 months).
- 6 months pay stubs with income tax return information
- 6 months bank statements for all three currency accounts
- Income tax return from current company
- Letter from my previous employer stating how long I have been working and earning there
- Income tax return from previous company
- Travel history explanation document listed out for each country I have ever visited in my life.
- Letter of Purpose where I explain the motives for my visit and reasons for coming back home – work obligations, satisfying life standard in country of residence, company benefits, taking care of my grandmother
- An improved Invitation letter from my boyfriend where he states that he is aware of legal consequences if I stay longer than allowed and that he also guarantees I will be coming back home after two weeks
- Document about his income, assets and employment that you suggested.

I am short on my property/land/rent agreement.

How does this look to you? Any further recommendations?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
SheenaVanPunk said:
After I come back from UK I will still have the same position, but my everyday tasks will be completely different. I will start working on more complicated tasks with three client representative managers (they are higher in hierarchy than me) for a company's top client and I will still be in that role after my vacation in Canada. My manager could explain that in a Guarantee Letter.
Perfect.

Invitation Letter from my boyfriend (it was too short)
For the next invitation letter, my advice is to keep it factual, not emotional..... do be careful about the choice of words..... nothing to the effect of missing each other, want to spend time together as you haven't met for XX months, words like stay/live in Canada are no-no, etc

Keep it short and crisp, point-wise details.

A leave approval from my employer - it is a 100% paid vacation
If possible, do include a similar letter from HR with the contact information of the HR manager

6 months bank statements for all three currency accounts
Do ensure there's nothing borrowed, must match your income. If you transfer money between accounts then do include a small explanation

Travel history explanation document listed out for each country I have ever visited in my life.
A travel history explanation for every country you've visited in your life would be a bit OTT :) You can keep it to the last 10 years.

Letter of Purpose where I explain the motives for my visit
You must prepare an approx. day-by-day itinerary for sightseeing, activities, visiting friends/relatives..... with expense estimates..... and prove that you can pay for this itinerary + airfare without depending financially on your boyfriend.

and reasons for coming back home – work obligations, satisfying life standard in country of residence, company benefits, taking care of my grandmother
I would prepare a cover letter for the application (point-wise with separate sections for applicant details + host details + purpose of visit + funds available for my visit + strong ties to my home country + travel history + why I must return by XX date)

Do include evidence that you take care of your grandmom + any other family ties and/or planned family events that you must return to

I am short on my property/land/rent agreement.
Currently, your employment is the only/the strongest tie.

1. If you are likely to be sent abroad on business after your intended Canada visit then this could be stated in the letter from your manager/HR. If tickets are booked then that's even better.

2. 2-3 months' credit card statements (if the dues are low) + state you will bring these cards for your visit

3. Have you taken any loans? If yes, you can state these as reasons to return

4. Is your family dependent on you financially or for their well-being? If yes, do include evidence of it

5. Do you volunteer in a charity/similar organization? Or do you have some activity that's paid for/planned after your visit (a high-altitude trek, for example)? Just examples of other reasons why you must return

6. Do you have any training scheduled after your visit (employer or on your own)? Or have you enrolled for a part-time study program?

Reactions: GlobetrotterNG

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
I can't get an idea what would be appropriate evidence of taking care of my grandmom.

1. There are no plans for this for now.

2. I have no credit card.

3. Never taken any loan.

4. I help my brother informally, with giving him money when needs it, I have no actual proof of that.

5. Short on this, too.

6. Nope :'(

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
SheenaVanPunk said:
I can't get an idea what would be appropriate evidence of taking care of my grandmom.
Paying for her medical treatment or insurance, scheduled visits to the doctor, for example

2. I have no credit card.
Credit cards (even if you don't bring them for a visit) help to prove a number of facts: credit worthiness, income level, address checks, etc

Although you have strong employment ties + travel history + good financial situation, it would help if you can prove 1-2 more concrete reasons to return home before you reapply.

I would focus on proving stronger family ties + a rent agreement (if possible) + some other reason that is not work-related

Good luck

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Bryanna,

Thank you so much for all the explanations. Now I have a much better picture of what is expected from me.

I'll let you know if I come up to any further questions and, of course, about the outcome.

Regards!

SheenaVanPunk

Apr 19, 2017
Hi Bryanna,
I have one more question for you regarding the Invitation Letter.

Would it be useful to submit two invitations, one coming from my boyfriend and another one from my aunt? I was initially planning to pay a visit to her while staying in Canada, too.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi,

Yes, you can include two invitations.

You will also need to submit your aunt's documents: Copies of her passport + immigration status in Canada + proofs of financials (not mandatory) + proof of relationship to you (if possible, else explain it in words. For example: My father's-younger-sister)

Do prepare the day-by-day itinerary accordingly to indicate that you will be visiting your aunt for XX days

Cheers