+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa processing timelines/approvals 2020-2021 for immediate family of PR/Temporary Resident

Winner Man

Star Member
May 20, 2021
Yaounde, CMR
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
IRCC
NOC Code......
MY TIMELINE

1st Application: GCKey
Submit: March 01
Bio: March 04
Background Check...
(Waiting till forever)

2nd Application: GCKey
Submit: Sept 20
Background Check...
Eligibility: Sept 21
Refusal: Oct 09 (Will not come back due to money, employment, purpose).
Note: I had $18,000 for 1 month visit; I'm gov't employed; purpose was to write an exam in Quebec (asked by the Quebec gov't).

3rd Application: IRCC Portal
Submit: Oct 16
UCI/Biometric updated
Background Check...
CAS Doc: Oct 17 (showing Oct 16 on Doc)
(Waiting...)

Latest update on 1st Application (March 01):
Eligibility: Oct 18
BVL: Oct 18
(Waiting...)

emailssa

Sep 9, 2021
Folks, after the 7th September update from IRCC, I am planning to resubmit the application for my family under family visit.

1. Is Upfront medical required for this?
2. Will the biometric from the previous application works?
3. What documents do I need to provide as proof that it is in fact a family visit (For less than 6 months)?

Last edited:

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
Application Date: September 30, 2021
Biometrics Completion date: October 6, 2021
Country of residence: India
Your relation: Parents to Canada PR holder (daughter)
Purpose of visit(Essential or non-essential): Family visit
Approval date October 18, 2021

SeniorStakes

Nov 7, 2018
Toronto
Congratulations! Did they have a US visa too?

emailssa

Sep 9, 2021
What documents did you provide for the Visa?

hossamb88

Oct 18, 2021
Please mention your
Application Date: September 9, 2021 (2nd Applications)
Biometrics Completion date: They had it from before already
Country of residence: Egypt - Visa getting processed in Ankara, Turkey
Your relation: Wife
Purpose of visit(Essential or non-essential): Reunite with Immediate family member
Approval date: Still Pending

They asked for additional Proof of Marriage on Oct 7, 2021 - Photos from the wedding, engagment and outings

fallcolours

Star Member
Oct 19, 2017
What documents did you provide for the Visa?
We'd provided all the mandatory documents that IRCC had requested for during the online visa application.

The only additional document we'd provided was a letter from us providing details of our PR status and asserting that our parents will be returning back to India after the visit as they have personal obligations back home.

Gayathry

Star Member
Sep 30, 2021
Is it via portal or gckey?

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
Application Date: August 17th, 2021
Biometrics Completion date: September 9th, 2021
Travel Exemption Webform submitted: September 10th, 2021
Your relation: Mother of Canadian PR (Immediate Family member)
Purpose of visit(Essential or non-essential): Other (Covid-19, Family Reunification)
Approval date: In-Progress
Received PPR on October 9th.

destiny2016

Star Member
Jan 30, 2016
Canada
Hello all! Sharing an update that I posted in another thread on this forum.

Received PPR for my mom's TRV just now.

Key application details
  • City/country of residence and application: Mumbai, India
  • Relation with applicant: Mother
  • Purpose of visit: Essential [indicated purpose of travel as ‘Other - COVID-19’ on IMM5257E, since we submitted the application before new guidelines were issued]
  • Vaccination status: Fully vaccinated with COVISHIELD
  • My status in Canada: Permanent Resident
  • Applied through: GC Key account
The detailed timeline of our visa application is as follows. We did not reapply after the Sep 7 update.
Note: All dates and times indicated below are in IST.
  • Aug 20, 2021, 3:40 pm : Application submitted
  • Aug 20, 2021, 3:45 pm : Payment receipt received
  • Aug 23, 2021, 8:20 pm : Application receipt confirmation
  • Aug 24, 2021, 8:20 pm : Ghost update
  • Aug 24, 2021, 8:50 pm : Biometrics letter received
  • Sep 10, 2021, 10:00 pm : Wrote to IRCC - Delhi VO seeking clarification on the new Sep 7 and Sep 10 guidelines for TRV. I was confused if we should reapply. Submitted general inquiry webform.
  • Sep 14, 2021, 12:30 pm : Biometrics appointment at Mumbai VFS
  • Sep 14, 2021, 7:00 pm : Biometrics updated online and linked to account
  • Sep 15, 2021, 4:50 pm : Received reply from IRCC - Delhi VO on the inquiry I sent them. They told me I should only reapply if my situation has changed. In the same email, there were a bunch of other helpful links. Among those, one was for the travel exemption webform. In the same email, they further stated: "Online Temporary Resident applications will not be prioritized unless you contact IRCC through the travel exemption webform to indicate how you meet the exemption criteria, and in most cases why you are travelling for a non-discretionary/essential purpose, and provide acceptable documentation.” After reading this, I thought it was worthwhile to submit the webform instead of just waiting to hear back on the application.
  • Sep 15, 2021, 10:05 pm : Filled webform for travel exemption, attached all relevant documents including vaccination certificate showing she's eligible to travel
  • Sep 15, 2021, 10:07 pm : Received acknowledgement email saying they will respond in 14 business days
  • Oct 6, 2021, 11:30 am : Ghost update to application status; it changed to “Application/Profile updated”. It was clickable only once. After viewing application details (nothing had changed) and returning to the main application home screen, it was back to normal and changed to “Submitted”.
  • Oct 9, 2021, 11:00 pm : Eligibility status changed. Correspondence letter and PPR received. All updates to the account happened within a span of 10 mins. Overall, took 16 business days (or 25 calendar days) from the time of submitting biometrics.
Notes:
  • My mom has no prior travel history, minimal financial savings to show, has been a homemaker all her life, and doesn't have any strong ties to home country. That's why I was very skeptical of the visa being approved.
  • I showed full sponsorship with notarized invitation letter + notarized proof of means of financial support letter + notarized proof of financial resource of supporter. Total of 3 notarized documents - in retrospect, it does seem like an overkill but I didn't want to take any chances. Basically included all documents typically required for a super visa, minus the insurance and medical test report.
  • In the webform, I did mention the travel date as Oct 15. So, it was approved well within the acceptable travel timeframe. However, considering that we have to factor in additional days for the passport to be stamped, I don't think my mom will be able to fly out on the 15th.
Happy to answer any specific questions you may have about information that hasn't been covered here.

This has been such a pleasant surprise. Given that it's the Thanksgiving long weekend, I was not expecting this at all.
I want to thank everyone on this forum for sharing their insights, timelines and personal experiences; it helped me learn a lot and even calm my nerves while keeping hope alive.

It has been a stressful year for most of us, but hang in there. You'll get through soon enough. Here's wishing everyone the very best with their applications. Cheers!
Truly happy for you! We also received PPR for our mom's visa on the same date (Oct 9th) :) All the Best!

Reactions: Ketan Sitapara

akashbhalla89

Star Member
Mar 12, 2016
Hello Experts,
I applied visitor visa for my parents together last year. Both got approved last week.
My mom got visa for 10 years but my day only got it for 2years. has this happened to anyone else ??

Note- Yet to receive passport back for my dad, but counterfoil expiry is 2023. Please suggest.

femirabel

Star Member
Sep 9, 2010
Visitor Timeline .
applied on August 3, 2020
Biometric requested August 3, 2020
Biometric done :August 4,2020
Family extend visa

can you please share your thoughts on what i have to do with my sis-in-law application shall we wait or re- apply?

emailssa

Sep 9, 2021
We'd provided all the mandatory documents that IRCC had requested for during the online visa application.

The only additional document we'd provided was a letter from us providing details of our PR status and asserting that our parents will be returning back to India after the visit as they have personal obligations back home.
I have my work visa, however, I am yet to travel to Canada. Can I apply for TRV under family reunite for parents based upon my work visa from my home country itself?