+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa - Port of Entry Stamping

nexgenprise

Star Member
Apr 20, 2014
Visitor Visa - Port of Entry Stamping:

While applying Visitor Visa for in Laws, I planned only for 4 -5 weeks and that's how I book the tickets (return tickets). Now they plan to stay longer than 4 -5 weeks (at least few months). The visa granted is multiple and valid for a year (Based on Passport's validity).

When they land here.. the officer will stamp the passport with the dates.

As i want them to stay here for few months.. is it okay to change the return dates on the ticket ? when officer (@port of Entry) asks, how long they intent to stay? what should they say? Can they say for 3 -4 months?

Do the officer usually allow visitors to say for 6 months (maximum validity)?

amelia1727

Mar 10, 2012
nexgenprise said:
Visitor Visa - Port of Entry Stamping:

While applying Visitor Visa for in Laws, I planned only for 4 -5 weeks and that's how I book the tickets (return tickets). Now they plan to stay longer than 4 -5 weeks (at least few months). The visa granted is multiple and valid for a year (Based on Passport's validity).

When they land here.. the officer will stamp the passport with the dates.

As i want them to stay here for few months.. is it okay to change the return dates on the ticket ? when officer ( @ port of Entry) asks, how long they intent to stay? what should they say? Can they say for 3 -4 months?

Do the officer usually allow visitors to say for 6 months (maximum validity)?
I think this is much more better if you leave the said dates as it is until they enter. Once they here, that's the time to do adjustment of the departing dates.

They will give you a visitor permit with the dates that is good for 4-5 weeks don't change it and apply for extension asap. This is to avoid misrepresentation with the immigration officer at the airport. If you suddenly change the info from your application they will be questioned. If they don't answer well there is a chance that they will be refused or they will lessen the stated stay.

If you are fortunate since they were given a multiple visa - a higher chance of 1 year validity of visitor permit will be given to them at the port of entry.