+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for spouse

Baljeet Seniwal

Nov 1, 2021
Hi everyone!

I need some guidance and information on the spouse visitor visa application.
My current situation is:
I am recruited as a postdoctoral researcher at Universitate Laval, Quebec, Quebec, Canada. And my LMIA exempt work permit application was approved on 14 Feb 2022. It took 9 months to approve my WP application. While my application was in process, I got married (5th December 2021).
It took 2-3 months for me to register my marriage, apply for a passport for my wife. As I was not having my marriage registration certification or passport of my wife with my name in it. I did not update my marital status in my WP application.

Now I wish to apply for a visitor visa for my wife. So that we can travel together to Canada.

Can anyone please help me to understand:
1. Is my wife eligible and can apply for a visitor visa?
2. Can I attach my father's bank statement with my wife's visa application, with an affidavit from him stating that he will support her travel and stay to Canada. I will also attach my job offer letters as well.
3. What should I write in SOP so that I can convince the visa officer easily?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone!

I need some guidance and information on the spouse visitor visa application.
My current situation is:
I am recruited as a postdoctoral researcher at Universitate Laval, Quebec, Quebec, Canada. And my LMIA exempt work permit application was approved on 14 Feb 2022. It took 9 months to approve my WP application. While my application was in process, I got married (5th December 2021).
It took 2-3 months for me to register my marriage, apply for a passport for my wife. As I was not having my marriage registration certification or passport of my wife with my name in it. I did not update my marital status in my WP application.

Now I wish to apply for a visitor visa for my wife. So that we can travel together to Canada.

Can anyone please help me to understand:
1. Is my wife eligible and can apply for a visitor visa?
2. Can I attach my father's bank statement with my wife's visa application, with an affidavit from him stating that he will support her travel and stay to Canada. I will also attach my job offer letters as well.
3. What should I write in SOP so that I can convince the visa officer easily?
There isn’t a spouse visitor visa first of all. First of all you need to send a webform indicating you got married. You should have done it in December but at least it’s being done before entering Canada or you apply for her permit. She can try for a TRV but she isn’t actually a visitor. She should be applying for an OWP even if she doesn’t plan to work. Since you are arriving on a WP as a married couple you and your wife should be showing your funds not your father. It is hard to say what will happen. IRCC doesn’t like when people get married while application is in process or approved unless the couple has a long relationship history together in person and especially doesn’t like when you don’t update your status. This is because it is a common method of immigration fraud. Was this an arranged marriage? Will also depend on your savings. All you can do is apply.

Baljeet Seniwal

Nov 1, 2021
There isn’t a spouse visitor visa first of all. First of all you need to send a webform indicating you got married. You should have done it in December but at least it’s being done before entering Canada or you apply for her permit. She can try for a TRV but she isn’t actually a visitor. She should be applying for an OWP even if she doesn’t plan to work. Since you are arriving on a WP as a married couple you and your wife should be showing your funds not your father. It is hard to say what will happen. IRCC doesn’t like when people get married while application is in process or approved unless the couple has a long relationship history together in person and especially doesn’t like when you don’t update your status. This is because it is a common method of immigration fraud. Was this an arranged marriage? Will also depend on your savings. All you can do is apply.
Hi!

Thanks for your reply and all the info you provided.
Well, the thing is I was in Brazil for the past 3 years. My marriage is arranged marriage.