+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for spouse - funds requirement

HarshYADAV

Jan 12, 2016
Hi, I am a permanent resident in Canada. I will marry my fiancé in December 2023. As I will have to return after marriage and spouse visa take 14 months to process, I was thinking of applying visitor visa for her so we can stay together for initial months of our marriage. Please help me understand the funds I will have to show for her visitor visa and the processing time for it. Also, she is working but I have doubt that Visa officer might reject her application thinking that she will stay for longer given that we will be a newly married couple.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, I am a permanent resident in Canada. I will marry my fiancé in December 2023. As I will have to return after marriage and spouse visa take 14 months to process, I was thinking of applying visitor visa for her so we can stay together for initial months of our marriage. Please help me understand the funds I will have to show for her visitor visa and the processing time for it. Also, she is working but I have doubt that Visa officer might reject her application thinking that she will stay for longer given that we will be a newly married couple.
There was a recent announcement that it will now be easier for spouses of PRs and citizens to come to Canada during their sponsorship processing. Not all applicants are guaranteed a TRV but chances are much better than they used to be. Outland applicants are also able to apply for OWP if in Canada. You could also apply for a TRV before marriage. if your spouse had a well paying job, has savings and has an international travel history (especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.)

HarshYADAV

Jan 12, 2016
There was a recent announcement that it will now be easier for spouses of PRs and citizens to come to Canada during their sponsorship processing. Not all applicants are guaranteed a TRV but chances are much better than they used to be. Outland applicants are also able to apply for OWP if in Canada. You could also apply for a TRV before marriage. if your spouse had a well paying job, has savings and has an international travel history (especially to countries like US, UK, Australia, etc.)
Thank you for your response. So I want to apply for my to be spouse while I am outside Canada. CIC says as a PR you cannot apply for sponsorship (inland or outland) if sponsor is living outside Canada. Does it apply even if one is on a vacation and applies from outside?

BA101

Champion Member
Nov 29, 2021
You cannot sponsor while being outside Canada - for the PR

For the TRV you can apply and see if she gets approved

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you for your response. So I want to apply for my to be spouse while I am outside Canada. CIC says as a PR you cannot apply for sponsorship (inland or outland) if sponsor is living outside Canada. Does it apply even if one is on a vacation and applies from outside?
If you are a PR you can’t apply for sponsorship outside Canada even if you are just on vacation

Sidhujnab

Jun 12, 2015
Are 4lacs enough to apply for visitor visa with strong bank statement of 6 months.on invitation with toddler.im doing job as office administrator. Reply asap.thx

Dhillon96

Star Member
Jun 30, 2023
Are 4lacs enough to apply for visitor visa with strong bank statement of 6 months.on invitation with toddler.im doing job as office administrator. Reply asap.thx
I think it could work but at least if you can show around 6 lacs ($10k cad ) that can be helpful for better results also show 2 weeks or less time visit with this amount of money.
I hope it helps.