+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor Visa for dependant above age of 22

xyxrtm

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Hello,

I am a PR since October. My fiance is on work permit. We want to get married this August in Canada. I am applying for my parent's and brother's visitor Visa for the same.

My brother is 26 years old and because of low IQ (no physical disability), he is unable to make a living for himself. He has been depended on my parents. He is enrolled in open school, to complete his secondary education.

Now, my question is, whether I will be able to apply for his visitor Visa as a dependent to my parents' application?
My parents have good ties to home country, as my mother works in a firm from where she would be obtaining a letter for her leave, and my father has a long standing business. They would return in 3 weeks as my mother would not get further leaves from her work.

Also, for showing funds, all the funds are in an fixed deposit, in my dad's name with my mother and brother as nominees. My parents also have their income tax returns and salary stubs. Will the above mentioned fd be enoigh or each would need a separate fd?
My mother is the primary applicant. And I will be sponsoring them, as I have a job with ample income.

Any advice on the best way to go about this, is welcome.

Thanks

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Now, my question is, whether I will be able to apply for his visitor Visa as a dependent to my parents' application?
Yes, you can. He is an 'overage dependent child'

My parents have good ties to home country, as my mother works in a firm from where she would be obtaining a letter for her leave, and my father has a long standing business. They would return in 3 weeks as my mother would not get further leaves from her work.
With both parents + your brother applying, the chances of your brother getting approved are pretty slim.

For your parents too, they must demonstrate their strong ties to their home country with as many evidence as possible.... not just for their employment ties. This is also because their family ties to Canada would outweigh those to their home country.

Also, for showing funds, all the funds are in an fixed deposit, in my dad's name with my mother and brother as nominees. My parents also have their income tax returns and salary stubs. Will the above mentioned fd be enoigh or each would need a separate fd?
Are these FDs locked-in or can be liquidated if required?
Do your parents have adequate liquid finances in addition to the FDs?

Generally, the reasoning is FDs are financial investments and an applicant won't liquidate FDs to pay for a visit abroad.

My mother is the primary applicant. And I will be sponsoring them, as I have a job with ample income.
Your finances are secondary as the host. Your parents must prove they can afford the visit (airfare for all three applicants + their travel/living expenses during the visit) without financially depending on you

xyxrtm

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Hello Bryanna,

Thank you for the response!

My parents do own their flat and have other assets in terms of land, vehicles, and another commercial property. And my father also takes care of my grandmother. Will these be considered as good enough ties, as far as my parents are concerned?

And also, what if I show their return tickets as well? Will that make the case stronger? And my brother's enrollment in his school?

The FD here, can be liquidated and it was for this purpose only, i.e. to show as funds and to use for their visit. I have estimated 1000 cad per week per person. And I will be providing accommodations and food free of cost (to be written in the invitation letter) as they will be staying with me. Will that be considered enough?

It is my wedding, and I really want my family to be with me. Hence, the desperation.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
My parents do own their flat and have other assets in terms of land, vehicles, and another commercial property. And my father also takes care of my grandmother. Will these be considered as good enough ties, as far as my parents are concerned?
Sounds good nonetheless do post the individual list of documents which they would be submitting.

And also, what if I show their return tickets as well? Will that make the case stronger?
Tickets do not assure TRVs. It's not advisable to book tickets before visas are issued. They can include flight itineraries/provisional bookings.

And my brother's enrollment in his school?
Do post the list of documents for his application.

The FD here, can be liquidated and it was for this purpose only, i.e. to show as funds and to use for their visit.
Can your parents show some reasonable liquid finances in their bank accounts without liquidating their FDs?
Maybe after their salaries are credited to their accounts?
Do they earn rental and/or agricultural income?

I have estimated 1000 cad per week per person. And I will be providing accommodations and food free of cost (to be written in the invitation letter) as they will be staying with me. Will that be considered enough?
Your finances do not matter. Like I mentioned earlier, they must prove they are not financially dependent on you = Lower possibility of overstaying their visit = Higher chances of TRV approvals

xyxrtm

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Hi bryanna,

I plan on submitting the house papers, the commercial property papers, the land papers, my parents itr, bank statements. They do have rental income but that is not very substantial, but their salaries are good enough but they have a couple of investments going on (LIC, pension plans etc.).

I will post all the document details shortly for all of them.

The 1000 cad per week per person mentioned is the FD amount, that they will be showing as funds. I was wondering if that would be enough for them to show.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help!

xyxrtm

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Hi bryanna,

I plan on submitting the house papers, the commercial property papers, the land papers, my parents itr, bank statements. They do have rental income but that is not very substantial, but their salaries are good enough but they have a couple of investments going on (LIC, pension plans etc.).

I will post all the document details shortly for all of them.

Thanks a lot! I really appreciate your help!
Hi, Sorry its been a while but I was getting some things sorted. Could you please verify the following documents that I plan to submit-
For my mother (who works in a hospital)-
-salary stubs
-promotion letters from her work
-A letter from work granting her leave to go to Canada for 2 weeks with dates
-the apartment papers which is in her name (urban area)
-An affidavit (in english) detailing the land she owns in rural area (Land paper which is in her name is not in english)
-bank statements (to show steady income, though the income is used up in investments)
-last two years ITR
-marriage certificate

For my father (who runs his own business)-
-Rent agreement for property in in urban area
-Rent agreement for property in rural area
-quarterly TDS detailing the payments he receives for his business
-bank statements (again, to show steady income, but not much of liquid cash present)
-Last two years ITR
-An affidavit that lists his properties (as the papers are not in English)
-Fixed deposits worth around 20000 CAD

For my brother (He is 26 years old, but dependent (financially) on my parents due to learning disabilities; physically he is healthy)
-His latest Open School exam results (which he gave this year)
-His enrollment to Open school (he still has to pass certain subjects, hence enrolled again)
-He is financially not independent and neither can he lead life independently because of low IQ and learning disability, hence he is the nominee to all the fixed deposits that are in my fathers name as of now.
-Birth certificate

What more can I submit for my brother to prove his dependence on my parents and ties to home country? Does he need money separately in his account?

Also, Does my mother need money in her name explicitly? she might have about 2000 cad in her bank balance, but no Fixed deposits. Will my father's finances be enough and be considered for all three of them? Should I put my father of mother as the primary applicant? I am confused as my mom has the job letters and the finances are in my fathers name (though my mom does have properties in her name).

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hi, Sorry its been a while but I was getting some things sorted. Could you please verify the following documents that I plan to submit-
For my mother (who works in a hospital)-
-salary stubs
-promotion letters from her work
-A letter from work granting her leave to go to Canada for 2 weeks with dates
Okay

-the apartment papers which is in her name (urban area)
Valuation of the property + recent tax receipts + if she earns rental income then the rent agreement, 2-3 rent receipts, bank account to which the rent is deposited

-An affidavit (in english) detailing the land she owns in rural area (Land paper which is in her name is not in english)
An affidavit won't work. She must include the land ownership documents + the certified translations + valuation of the land + if she earns agricultural income then Form J (or tax returns as applicable).

-bank statements (to show steady income, though the income is used up in investments)
-last two years ITR
-marriage certificate
Okay

For my father (who runs his own business)-
-Rent agreement for property in in urban area
-Rent agreement for property in rural area
-quarterly TDS detailing the payments he receives for his business
-bank statements (again, to show steady income, but not much of liquid cash present)
-Last two years ITR
He cannot include business bank statements and/or business finances to pay for his visit. Only personal finances.

Plus, he needs to prove his business is actively trading i.e. employees hired (Profession tax, salaries paid, etc) + Audit report/Profit-loss statement + evidence of work/orders expected + a small explanation about who will manage his business when he is away

-An affidavit that lists his properties (as the papers are not in English)
Again, an affidavit won't work. Similar documents to what I have suggested for your mom's property.

-Fixed deposits worth around 20000 CAD
If these FDs are locked-in/cumulative interest will be paid on maturity then they cannot be included as 'Funds available for my visit'. It can only be included in the overall financial situation.

For my brother (He is 26 years old, but dependent (financially) on my parents due to learning disabilities; physically he is healthy)
-hence he is the nominee to all the fixed deposits that are in my fathers name as of now.
Future scenarios (Read: Nomination) won't matter.

What more can I submit for my brother to prove his dependence on my parents and ties to home country? Does he need money separately in his account?

Also, Does my mother need money in her name explicitly? she might have about 2000 cad in her bank balance, but no Fixed deposits. Will my father's finances be enough and be considered for all three of them? Should I put my father of mother as the primary applicant? I am confused as my mom has the job letters and the finances are in my fathers name (though my mom does have properties in her name).
I recommend your parents must apply without your brother by indicating him as a family tie to return to. My reasons are:
1. Your parents don't have any previous, short stay travel history.

2. The individual financial situations of both your parents are extremely low + it won't cover the costs for even the two of them with airfare. Your finances are secondary.

3. Your brother wanting to visit will add to the burden of proof for finances (i.e. your parents cannot support his visit)

4. IMO, your parents have a 50:50 chance of a TRV approval. I would not rush to apply. You would want to prepare their applications well + if they can save up some more money (without borrowing from you or anyone else) that would help

5. You would also include evidence of your wedding

xyxrtm

Star Member
Sep 27, 2016
Thank you Bryanna!

What is the acceptable funds required for a two week visit for a person?
If we liquidate a few of the FDs to my parents account, will that work? it is all declared and within range of their yearly tax returns.
I really want my brother to attend the wedding as well!

I will be submitting my wedding invitation card and the save the date copies. Anything else as part of my wedding that can be used?

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
What is the acceptable funds required for a two week visit for a person?
Unofficially it is CAD 1,000 per person, per week + airfare.

If we liquidate a few of the FDs to my parents account, will that work? it is all declared and within range of their yearly tax returns.
IMO, it won't work.

It would have been a different situation if someone was earning pretty well, s/he had no financial liabilities or else low expenses, s/he believed in investing almost their income in financial instruments likes FDs, etc.... resulting in little money available as liquid funds in her/his bank account.

In the case of your parents, their income itself is quite low. It's not expected to liquidate FDs to pay for visits abroad. Also, their bank statements would clearly indicate that either the FDs have either been mortgaged or else the FDs have been completely liquidated.

No idea when your parents invested in these FDs. Do keep in mind: As FD interest rates are steadfastly moving south coupled with rising inflation, liquidating FDs for their TRVs might negatively affect your parents' future financial plans.

Your parents might want to save a bit more + your dad could try to get more business/orders this month + they can include any rental and agricultural income.

A point I missed earlier:
Does your grandmom live with your parents? If yes, your parents must include evidence that they stay at the same address + your dad takes care of her + a small explanation about who will take care of your grandmom in their absence.

I really want my brother to attend the wedding as well!
Not considering financial aspects, your brother has very slim chances of a TRV approval. There was someone on this forum whose brother was recently approved after 2 refusals + one interview at NDVO. This was a couple of weeks ago. He was also a Special Needs person like your brother. But, each case is unique.

You can certainly try to apply for your brother. But, just don't get your hopes too high for an approval.

For him:
Include an evaluation for his mental abilities + a general medical report + doctors' note/medical report that says he does not require medication nor treatment, etc + overseas travel medical insurance coverage for his intended visit duration + letter from the school stating he is a bona fide student + tuition fee receipt for the next academic year + school brochure/ prints of the website, including contact information, etc.

I will be submitting my wedding invitation card and the save the date copies. Anything else as part of my wedding that can be used?
Marriage license + any bookings made (venue, catering, florists, religious ceremonies, etc) + invitations/emails sent to other relatives/friends