+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visitor visa for child for a divorced parent

IndGuy123

May 14, 2015
Hi,

I am a divorced woman living in Canada for the last one year on PR. My son was on my PR application but I did not pay PR fee for him and did not send his passport for stamping as my ex-husband did not consent to that and I do not have official custody (neither does he; we just agreed to keep the discussion of my son's place of residence out of court and mentioned the same in our divorce agreement). I am looking sponsorship in the long-term but for now I want my son to come here on visitor's visa along with my mother and see how he likes it here. I created an CIC account for my mother. In the application for visitor visa, there is a question "Do you want to submit an application for another family member?" I wanted to select "Yes" and then put in my son's details. However, the definition of family member in the CIC glossary (http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#f) is "An applicant’s closest relatives, in the context of an application to IRCC. It is defined as a spouse or common-law partner, dependent children, and their dependent children." Now since my son is not a child of a dependent child of my mother, I am confused. How do I apply for visitor visa for my son? What are my options? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Raga