+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visitor visa extension

Anhnguyen88

Jul 15, 2012
hi,

My parents in laws has 5 year multiple visitor visa. When they came to Canada, the officer stamped 6 months stay, it will expired end of Aug.

I already applied stay extension application, but it seems like it takes at least 3 months to get processed.

I just wonder, is it ok for them to leave before we get the extension permit. Is it illegal to leave without the permit paper and after the stamp expired?

so confused here, please help.

CVIF123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July4
File Transfer...
September 20th
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
november 10th 2015
Anhnguyen88 said:
hi,

My parents in laws has 5 year multiple visitor visa. When they came to Canada, the officer stamped 6 months stay, it will expired end of Aug.

I already applied stay extension application, but it seems like it takes at least 3 months to get processed.

I just wonder, is it ok for them to leave before we get the extension permit. Is it illegal to leave without the permit paper and after the stamp expired?

so confused here, please help.
They can't stay more than 6 months on TRV, they should leave before it expires !! if they get extension before August well and good.

Anhnguyen88

Jul 15, 2012
they can stay legally while waiting for the decision as long as i apply the extension 30 days before the expired date

APSRTC

Aug 17, 2015
Anhnguyen88 said:
they can stay legally while waiting for the decision as long as i apply the extension 30 days before the expired date
In my opinion, as per you it will take 3 months to get extension visa, i.e you need to apply for an extension before three months of expiry. they can stay here in canada as long as TRV extension is in process and the same we need to inform to CIC that your parents are going to stay with you until decision made.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
APSRTC said:
In my opinion, as per you it will take 3 months to get extension visa, i.e you need to apply for an extension before three months of expiry. they can stay here in canada as long as TRV extension is in process and the same we need to inform to CIC that your parents are going to stay with you until decision made.
Usually making an extension application too early i.e 3 months before the expiry of trv can result a refusal ( many on this forum got refused due to requesting an early application of visitor status extension) specially if the applicant is not a PR applicant and rather just a normal visitor. so it is always adviced to apply for an extension in the last 30days before the expiry. application received even 1 day before the expiry is good enoff.

Now about leaving before the extension application's decision: Once your parents leave canada their extension application will become invalid and it doesn't matter if it gets approved or rejected.

if they want to leave canada they can...it is not illegal nor their stay will be considered as overstay or illegal ( because they lived in canada on implied status i.e awaiting the outcome of extension application). they just have keep their extension application submission (confirmation) as a proof of their legal stay in canada for any future travelling to canada. it will be enoff to prove in future that they have not overstayed illegally in canada. CBSA or CIC will also have their extension application records with them ( in their system) so it wont be hard to explain them what happened in case they come/re-enter to canada in future.

hope it helps

alijpro

Star Member
Oct 30, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga -> Ottawa -> Islamabad -> London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 2012 - ECAS: Application Received
Doc's Request.
Nov 2013 - Forms Updated, RePCC
AOR Received.
June 2012 - Sponsor Eligibility : Passed
File Transfer...
Feb 2014
Med's Request
Aug 2014 - ECAS: In Process
Med's Done....
Aug 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Sep 2014 - PPR1 & PP2, ECAS: Decision Made
VISA ISSUED...
Nov 2014
LANDED..........
May 2015 - ECAS: Complete
Hi All,

My mother is in Canada on visitor visa and i'm applying for her extension of stay. Just wanted to confirm if I need to send ORIGINAL Passport and photos or not? As per document checklist IMM5558 there is no mention of original passport and photos.

Please guide.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
alijpro said:
Hi All,

My mother is in Canada on visitor visa and i'm applying for her extension of stay. Just wanted to confirm if I need to send ORIGINAL Passport and photos or not? As per document checklist IMM5558 there is no mention of original passport and photos.

Please guide.
No you do need to send the original passport along the application. Just a photocopy of the passport is good enoff. On approval of the extension cic will send you a visitor record ( a secure immigration document) by mail at your home address which will mention the approved extension period.
Just for your information applying online is easy and fast and all the supporting documents (passport, support letter etc) can be scanned and uploaded to the system. The best advantage of applying online is that you almost receive the confirmation of application received by cic instantly and will receive the final decision through email which will also mention your extension document number and that they have send the actual visitor record by regular mail. So overall the online process is smooth, easy and you stay aware about the application. If you choose paper application although the process is same but you will most probably stay in limbo thinking 1) did they receive the application, 2) have they send any further document request, 3) what's going on with the application, etc etc. so my advise would be to apply online.
Hope it helps

Man on the Moon

Feb 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO / COLOMBO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-11-2012
Doc's Request.
04-07-2013
Nomination.....
25-10-2012
AOR Received.
23-01-2013
File Transfer...
23-04-2013
Med's Request
05-07-2013
Med's Done....
06-07-2013
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
04-10-2013
VISA ISSUED...
22-10-2013
LANDED..........
VERY VERY VERY SOON
Hi,

My aunt has applied for extension of stay Online in August. Her six months in Canada stay gets over in November. I know it's well before time but this was done taking into consideration almost 3 months of processing time. The site also states that you can apply beforehand taking into account the processing times. Usually does it take the full processing time stated on the website or can it happen earlier as well ?

Anybody else who has applied in August ?

aniebeez

Star Member
Oct 19, 2015
Man on the Moon said:
Hi,

My aunt has applied for extension of stay Online in August. Her six months in Canada stay gets over in November. I know it's well before time but this was done taking into consideration almost 3 months of processing time. The site also states that you can apply beforehand taking into account the processing times. Usually does it take the full processing time stated on the website or can it happen earlier as well ?

Anybody else who has applied in August ?
Hey
did you hear anything in regards to ur aunts application? Since u mentioned that her
visa expires this month-November
I'm curious to know since in same situation
thanks

ayk

Nov 29, 2010
kriv said:
Usually making an extension application too early i.e 3 months before the expiry of trv can result a refusal ( many on this forum got refused due to requesting an early application of visitor status extension) specially if the applicant is not a PR applicant and rather just a normal visitor. so it is always adviced to apply for an extension in the last 30days before the expiry. application received even 1 day before the expiry is good enoff.

Now about leaving before the extension application's decision: Once your parents leave canada their extension application will become invalid and it doesn't matter if it gets approved or rejected.

if they want to leave canada they can...it is not illegal nor their stay will be considered as overstay or illegal ( because they lived in canada on implied status i.e awaiting the outcome of extension application). they just have keep their extension application submission (confirmation) as a proof of their legal stay in canada for any future travelling to canada. it will be enoff to prove in future that they have not overstayed illegally in canada. CBSA or CIC will also have their extension application records with them ( in their system) so it wont be hard to explain them what happened in case they come/re-enter to canada in future.

hope it helps
Hi,

If the visa extension applicant have to leave Canada before the result of their visa extension application, do they need to explicitly request for cancellation of the extension application ? Do they need to inform CIC that they are leaving Canada, while their application for extension is still in progress ?

Thanks for your time and support.
AYK.

amspowerelect

Jun 22, 2013
Edmonton
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-06-2015
Doc's Request.
27-01-2016
Nomination.....
03-03-2015
AOR Received.
02-09-2015
Med's Request
29-04-2016
Passport Req..
14-06-2016
VISA ISSUED...
28-06-2016
LANDED..........
09-08-2016
CVIF123 said:
They can't stay more than 6 months on TRV, they should leave before it expires !! if they get extension before August well and good.
My paretnts came here in Canada on 3rd June. But i checked their passport, there is not any date mentioned for expiration. Can i check with Immigration Validaty of stay?

CVIF123

Star Member
Jul 18, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
ADVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July4
File Transfer...
September 20th
Med's Done....
Upfront
Passport Req..
november 10th 2015
amspowerelect said:
My paretnts came here in Canada on 3rd June. But i checked their passport, there is not any date mentioned for expiration. Can i check with Immigration Validaty of stay?
That's good idea to check with them as we don't have any date mentioned

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
amspowerelect said:
If they just have an admission stamp with the date of arrival then its a default 6 months stay. If it was less then CBSA would have notified them and issued a Visitor Record with a specified departure date and other conditions e.g no employment, no school etc.

shifat

Oct 20, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
OPNP
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
July 18, 2013
Doc's Request.
Nothing yet
Nomination.....
PNP June 12, 2013
AOR Received.
Sep 13, 2013
IELTS Request
Already got 7
File Transfer...
In process since Dec 23, 2013
Med's Request
Sep 18, 2013
Med's Done....
Sep 25, 2013
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Since Sep 03, 2010
Hello All,

I need some advise from you as my issue is related to my mum's supervisa.
She got supervisa on June 2015 till March 2018 as her passport expires on March 2018. She got in Canada on June 2015 and got 2 years stamp. She moved out of Canada to origin country for 3 weeks and when she entered back, she only got stamp upto Mrach 2018 as her passport is expiring.

I am going to renew her passport soon. What I am looking to know as if there is any way, I can request for extension to stay in Canada or renewal of supervisa with her new passport while she stays in Canada? Please advise me. My mum is getting old and she does not have anyone back home except me. Please please kindly advise.

starh

Apr 29, 2018
Hi, I am an international student in Canada and now I am in Canada, I extended my study permit and now I want to extend my visa, but I have a problem. I answer all questions to determining your eligibility and at the end, in the document checklist, I see the form "Application for Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa) Made outside of Canada (IMM5257). I do not know why it is "outside Canada" while I am in Canada right now! I really appreciate it if some can help me.
Also, in this form asks a question, "details of my visit to Canada", "purpose of my visit", I am not a returning student because I am studying continuously and I did not leave Canada so I do not know which options I should choose.
The options for this questions are: "business, tourism, short-term studies, returning student, returning worker, super visa, other, family visit.