Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-06-2020
AOR Received.
03-02-2021
Med's Request
19-02-2021
I'm a US citizen, currently in Canada as a visitor until the end of May. My partner (Canadian citizen) and I intend to apply for my PR under common law sponsorship, as soon as I've been here 12 months.

I'm in the process of completing the application to extend my stay, and I'm unsure of how to best explain the purpose of my visit for the next 6 months. When I originally entered Canada, my purpose was to assess our compatibility in a local relationship. At this point, would it benefit me to state that I need an additional 6 months in order to establish a common law relationship, so that I can then apply for sponsorship?

Right now the processing time for visitor extension is ~56 days, which is about 2 weeks after my visitor status expires. Would I have implied status as a visitor still? I see that temporary workers and students have implied status, but nothing about visitors.

Thank you for reading; I'm new here, so I really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I've left things unclear.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I'm a US citizen, currently in Canada as a visitor until the end of May. My partner (Canadian citizen) and I intend to apply for my PR under common law sponsorship, as soon as I've been here 12 months.

I'm in the process of completing the application to extend my stay, and I'm unsure of how to best explain the purpose of my visit for the next 6 months. When I originally entered Canada, my purpose was to assess our compatibility in a local relationship. At this point, would it benefit me to state that I need an additional 6 months in order to establish a common law relationship, so that I can then apply for sponsorship?

Right now the processing time for visitor extension is ~56 days, which is about 2 weeks after my visitor status expires. Would I have implied status as a visitor still? I see that temporary workers and students have implied status, but nothing about visitors.

Thank you for reading; I'm new here, so I really appreciate any advice you can offer. I'll be happy to answer any questions if I've left things unclear.
Too early to apply. Wait until May. You will have Implied Status while the app processes.

State that you are establishing common-law and will be applying for sponsorhsip. Pay the full $1040 PR fees and include the receipt.

Reactions: malimu and k.h.p.

andi.t

Apr 11, 2019
Alberta, Canada
Category........
FAM
App. Filed.......
09-06-2020
AOR Received.
03-02-2021
Med's Request
19-02-2021
Too early to apply. Wait until May. You will have Implied Status while the app processes.

State that you are establishing common-law and will be applying for sponsorhsip. Pay the full $1040 PR fees and include the receipt.
Thank you for the advice! I really appreciate it.