+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visiting home country for vacation before receiving PR card

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Hi PR holders,

I have a question. I am inland applicant. My PR application is recently approved and I will be complete the landing formailities this week or early next week.
As I understand from various forums and tracker websites, time to get PR Card delivered after doing landing is 61 days (2 months). So for me, it would be by end of November. But I have to travel to my home country in mid of November to attend a family function.

I learned that if not PR card, we have to carry a PRTD (PR Travel Document) so as to get re-entry in Canada.

Has anyone recently completed this formaility? How much time does it take to receive the PRTD? Should I wait till the end to see if the PR card gets delivered before my travel or I should not take any chance and apply for PRTD right now itself?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi PR holders,

I have a question. I am inland applicant. My PR application is recently approved and I will be complete the landing formailities this week or early next week.
As I understand from various forums and tracker websites, time to get PR Card delivered after doing landing is 61 days (2 months). So for me, it would be by end of November. But I have to travel to my home country in mid of November to attend a family function.

I learned that if not PR card, we have to carry a PRTD (PR Travel Document) so as to get re-entry in Canada.

Has anyone recently completed this formaility? How much time does it take to receive the PRTD? Should I wait till the end to see if the PR card gets delivered before my travel or I should not take any chance and apply for PRTD right now itself?
You can't apply for a PR TD while in Canada. You need to go to your home country and then apply for PR TD there from a local visa application centre.

You should allow 2-3 weeks or so for entire PR TD process in your home country. If you aren't close to the visa office, you'll need to mail the PR TD app and your passport, and wait for mail to return with everything.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
You can't apply for a PR TD while in Canada. You need to go to your home country and then apply for PR TD there from a local visa application centre.

You should allow 2-3 weeks or so for entire PR TD process in your home country. If you aren't close to the visa office, you'll need to mail the PR TD app and your passport, and wait for mail to return with everything.
This is so unfair. I was planning to go for 3 weeks.. but if there is uncertainty and the PRTD application does not return before my planned return date, then I will be stuck. After going through entire PR process and then approving the PR application, why couldn't CIC provide a PRTD by default to be used for travelling before getting PR card.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
This is so unfair. I was planning to go for 3 weeks.. but if there is uncertainty and the PRTD application does not return before my planned return date, then I will be stuck. After going through entire PR process and then approving the PR application, why couldn't CIC provide a PRTD by default to be used for travelling before getting PR card.
Would be a good idea, but unfortunately is not the way it works.

Some people show evidence of an upcoming flight and have PR TDs processed in a few days. However it's not guaranteed and could involve mailing passport, so is a bit of a risk.

3 weeks is probably more than enough time if you apply immediately once arriving there. It's also quicker if you happen to be close to a VAC that processes the PR TD apps so can do in person.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
If your COPR/visa will still be valid, you can delay your landing until you return from your trip.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
If your COPR/visa will still be valid, you can delay your landing until you return from your trip.
I have already completed my landing. Does COPR has validity?

One more aspect is: can we use COPR to enter in Canada while entering from US by car? In that case, I can book flight from US and then drive to Canada..

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I have already completed my landing. Does COPR has validity?

One more aspect is: can we use COPR to enter in Canada while entering from US by car? In that case, I can book flight from US and then drive to Canada..
I wasn't aware you had landed since your first post in the thread. The COPR will not allow you to board a plane.

Yes, you can fly to the US and cross the border in a private car or on foot.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Yes, many people do this. PR TD is only required if flying back directly to Canada.

If crossing into Canada via USA land border, then CBSA will easily be able to confirm your PR status with just passport + COPR. For this purpose, the COPR has no expiration and any PR can do this if they don't have a PR card on them. Of course you'll need to get visitor status in the US.

anigdikar

Apr 3, 2017
Yes, many people do this. PR TD is only required if flying back directly to Canada.

If crossing into Canada via USA land border, then CBSA will easily be able to confirm your PR status with just passport + COPR. For this purpose, the COPR has no expiration and any PR can do this if they don't have a PR card on them. Of course you'll need to get visitor status in the US.
I already have US visitor visa, so that's not a concern.. now need to check for cheaper flight options..

Thanks guys!!