+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit Visa upon Invitation.

abcdxyz

Feb 29, 2020
Hello everyone,

I have a query regarding a tourist visa, I am gay and my bf is an aboriginal native citizen he lives in Quebec. We have never met in a person, we want to marry but the country I live in hasn't legalized gay marriages and being gay is one of the heinous crimes consider.

I've visited Thailand once, and Dubai twice. However, was refused for the US visit visa in 2013.

He wants to send me a notarized invitation letter (He himself is an oath commissioner). I want to ask if it is advisable to apply for a tourist visa or is there any other way? I am confused any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Regards

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
To be successful for a TRV application, you have to prove that you will leave Canada at the end of a short stay.

in my opinion, everything you’ve indicated here will unfortunately not convince the visa officer that is the case:
- relationship with a Canadian
- you haven’t met him in person
- gay marriage not possible in home country
- travel history is minimal
- US visa refusal

the notarized letter from him will not help in any way.

kvonrosen

Apr 4, 2019
Honduras
Category........
Hello everyone,

I have a query regarding a tourist visa, I am gay and my bf is an aboriginal native citizen he lives in Quebec. We have never met in a person, we want to marry but the country I live in hasn't legalized gay marriages and being gay is one of the heinous crimes consider.

I've visited Thailand once, and Dubai twice. However, was refused for the US visit visa in 2013.

He wants to send me a notarized invitation letter (He himself is an oath commissioner). I want to ask if it is advisable to apply for a tourist visa or is there any other way? I am confused any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Regards
Thanks for sharing your intentions,
Unfortunately as mentioned already, these will surely make your TRV to be denied.
Whether he is your boyfriend or not YOU MUST process the entire TRV with the only purpose of visiting.

The fact you have never met in person tho is a little bit difficult, but not impossible I guess if you make a great application.

He must sent an invitation letter, stating he is only your friend and you both would like to hangout.
He must include all his information on that invitation letter such as address, why he wants to invite you, if you are staying with him etc. You can find examples of invitation letters on google.
He also should send you his job letter, passport scan, bank statements.
and/or birth certificate (this one not so necessary tho)

You should definitely have at least a stable, permanent job in which you've been working for a while. And surely need a job letter.
You also must include your bank statement, the least you can have is $2000 US, if you have more is okay but also if you have a greater amount can be suspicious since you could be able to afford to remain in canada.
Make sure the amount of money in your bank makes sense with the payment you get from work, canada can investigate if they want where is your money coming from and if your money has been obtained by savings or so (mentioning this because many people gets borrowed money for visa applications)
You will also need your passport of course.
You will need a ridiculously detailed Itinerary, and with this I mean at least a 2 week itinerary vacations with a budget for plane tickets places, prices and days you will be making tourism in Quebec (watch some youtuber vlogs from Montreal or Quebec city which are the best tourist attractions or destination) you can search Itinerary templates on google too.
You will probably need a cover letter, in some countries is not necessary as in others; but this is your ONLY way of communicating with an official in case your application is online only; you must include your purpose of visit which should only be tourism, why canada? , what you wanna visit canada? , how long are you staying? , who's paying? , which with money?, who is inviting you? , why is this person inviting you?, why havent you met yet?, and include at the very end "I will not remain in canada and return to my country on (date) "
This cover letter will be your truly and possible best shot to get the Visa approved if you are detailed and smart enough in what you say.
Also recommend in looking for templates online.
Lastly any other ties to your country like a car, house, school or any other additional info that may be relevant to prove you don't need to leave your country.
You can include your travel history in your cover letter or appart.

Everything will depend on how much sense all the documentation has, and how detailed but without unnecessary information your documents are written.

Under no circumstances you should ever mention you plan to marry your bf because that's gonna be a No for sure. Even married people cant get a TRV for their spouse because they usually apply for inland spousal sponsorship.

Again your focus should be only tourism and visiting a friend. That's it.

Even if your visa is approved, at customs when you arrive Canada you should be clear you are simply visiting a friend and you're a genuine tourist. Believe me they will question you a lot since is normal for them to at last make 10 questions, and surely will ask why havent you met him or so.

If your Visa is approved and you successfully enter canada it will be up to you how to proceed with your bf. But for now everything should be processed as a simply small vacation trip, I cannot stress this enough.

I hope my info is of good help for you, best of lucks!

abcdxyz

Feb 29, 2020
Thanks for sharing your intentions,
Unfortunately as mentioned already, these will surely make your TRV to be denied.
Whether he is your boyfriend or not YOU MUST process the entire TRV with the only purpose of visiting.

The fact you have never met in person tho is a little bit difficult, but not impossible I guess if you make a great application.

He must sent an invitation letter, stating he is only your friend and you both would like to hangout.
He must include all his information on that invitation letter such as address, why he wants to invite you, if you are staying with him etc. You can find examples of invitation letters on google.
He also should send you his job letter, passport scan, bank statements.
and/or birth certificate (this one not so necessary tho)

You should definitely have at least a stable, permanent job in which you've been working for a while. And surely need a job letter.
You also must include your bank statement, the least you can have is $2000 US, if you have more is okay but also if you have a greater amount can be suspicious since you could be able to afford to remain in canada.
Make sure the amount of money in your bank makes sense with the payment you get from work, canada can investigate if they want where is your money coming from and if your money has been obtained by savings or so (mentioning this because many people gets borrowed money for visa applications)
You will also need your passport of course.
You will need a ridiculously detailed Itinerary, and with this I mean at least a 2 week itinerary vacations with a budget for plane tickets places, prices and days you will be making tourism in Quebec (watch some youtuber vlogs from Montreal or Quebec city which are the best tourist attractions or destination) you can search Itinerary templates on google too.
You will probably need a cover letter, in some countries is not necessary as in others; but this is your ONLY way of communicating with an official in case your application is online only; you must include your purpose of visit which should only be tourism, why canada? , what you wanna visit canada? , how long are you staying? , who's paying? , which with money?, who is inviting you? , why is this person inviting you?, why havent you met yet?, and include at the very end "I will not remain in canada and return to my country on (date) "
This cover letter will be your truly and possible best shot to get the Visa approved if you are detailed and smart enough in what you say.
Also recommend in looking for templates online.
Lastly any other ties to your country like a car, house, school or any other additional info that may be relevant to prove you don't need to leave your country.
You can include your travel history in your cover letter or appart.

Everything will depend on how much sense all the documentation has, and how detailed but without unnecessary information your documents are written.

Under no circumstances you should ever mention you plan to marry your bf because that's gonna be a No for sure. Even married people cant get a TRV for their spouse because they usually apply for inland spousal sponsorship.

Again your focus should be only tourism and visiting a friend. That's it.

Even if your visa is approved, at customs when you arrive Canada you should be clear you are simply visiting a friend and you're a genuine tourist. Believe me they will question you a lot since is normal for them to at last make 10 questions, and surely will ask why haven't you met him or so.

If your Visa is approved and you successfully enter Canada it will be up to you how to proceed with your bf. But for now everything should be processed as a simply small vacation trip, I cannot stress this enough.

I hope my info is of good help for you, best of lucks!
Thank you so much for the valuable information. However, I've just talked to him, we are planning to meet in some European country where gay marriages are allowed, we will register our marriage and then proceed for spouse visa or PR thingy.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Thank you so much for the valuable information. However, I've just talked to him, we are planning to meet in some European country where gay marriages are allowed, we will register our marriage and then proceed for spouse visa or PR thingy.
As long as you proceed with the understanding that your marriage and sponsorship will be heavily scrutinized. First time meeting with marriage, then sponsorship will raise red flags .What has stopped you from meeting previously? Meaning, getting to know each other, versus meeting one time and getting married. It would be in your best interests to build up some history , where you've met each other , obviously more than just once
A tourist visa would be as mentioned more than likely refused, since your intention isn't just to visit, but too stay, and that's not what tourist visas are intended for

Last edited:

kvonrosen

Apr 4, 2019
Honduras
Category........
You're welcome.
I'm glad both of you are in this, and I really hope you can be together since is very heartbreaking being apart.
But to be very realistic, as the response you just got as well, even if you are married the visitor Visa can very likely to be declined, more if you're married to a canadian.
The best option would be meeting first and then visiting.
We are only advisors of course and most of us have heavy experience on the subject, like I said before, your Visa approval will depend in the solemn proof of you being a visitor and tourism.
Again best of lucks and I wish you can be with your beloved one soon.

bellaluna

VIP Member
May 23, 2014
An out of the box suggestion would be to declare this and hope that the visa officer takes you at your word. This is usually not advised as hard documents (bank accounts, employment letter, etc.) are preferable ties, but in the end, visa officers are human too and maybe appealing to sympathy may work.

Trying the one time may not hurt. But yes, you’ll have to plan carefully and consider all possible scenarios if your aim is to be with your partner.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You will need proof that you have been denied a TRV to apply for sponsorship. Getting married during your first in person visit will create red flags for your application. You should have at a minimum 1 in person visit before getting married.

Chutsk10

Star Member
Feb 19, 2020
Unfortunately, being married doesn't mean a spousal sponsorship is automatically approved. You need to prove that your relationship is genuine. This usually includes having some history together (like previous meetings, and lots of communications etc.) having family/friends know about the relationship, having important people in your life attend the wedding etc. Meeting and getting married in the same visit will make the PR process difficult.

I am with the others and suggest you take some time to build a history with your partner. Go on a vacation or two together etc.

Nothing stopping you from trying to get a TRV as well. If you can show strong ties to your home country it's possible to get approved. And as mentioned by others, I wouldn't say anything about marriage in the application.