+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit visa application — will CIC acknowledge receipt?

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
My wife needs to submit a restoration of status application to keep her legally in Canada—this is the same, in her case, as the visit visa application (IMM 5708). We're ready to submit and have been trying to do it online for the past week, but the site (MYCIC) has been having unending technical problems. The latest issue is this:

"Due to technical difficulties, the "View Documents" button may not be available. We are working to resolve this issue. Thank you for your patience."

Because of these "technical difficulties," we can't view most of our documents after we upload them. The one document that we can see if we download it is the IMM 5708 itself, which comes out blank(!) even though we filled it out and validated it before uploading. This makes us want to see all of the documents before we send—we don't want to send a blank application.

But time is running out. If we don't submit this by late April, my wife could be deported. So we are thinking about submitting a paper application. Only we are wondering: does CIC acknowledge in any way that they have received the paper application? My understanding is that online applications are better, and I have heard so many horror stories of CIC losing even entire spousal sponsorship applications submitted physically. We'd rather not take that risk if we can possibly avoid it.

I hope someone can tell us. We're really frustrated at this point. If CIC is going to lose people's paper applications, they should at least make sure that online submission runs smoothly. What a mess.

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
Restoration of status applies only if her previous status expired before she applied for an extension. In that case, she needs to apply for restoration($200) AND the visitor visa(pay the fee too).

If you are having problems online, you can mail your application using an envelope with a tracking number(e.g. Xpresspost) and include a similar return envelope. You can also request a signature(Note: don't request a signature if you are mailing it to a P.O. Box b/c there will be no one to sign for it and it will be returned to you).

In your current situation(technical issues online) what alternatives do you have besides mailing the application?

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Thank you SenoritaBella, yes a lawyer we consulted said that it's safer to pay $275 for the restoration plus extension. However the online application seems to want us to pay $200 even though it "knows" that she is applying for both things. If we go the paper route we'll pay $275 just in case. Yes, we'd need to make sure to get a signature.

The only alternative we have is to keep waiting until they fix myCIC, which they say that they're doing. It's just that the delay makes us nervous, and we have no idea how long it will take them to fix the technical problems.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
After reading luckydude's horror story here, we've decided to send in a paper application.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/new-cic-online-temporary-resident-visa-trv-application-t128299.15.html

Can we pay for this online nonetheless? And where do we send it? Vegreville?

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
We've prepared a paper application for restoration of visitor status and paid online ($275 for restoration plus extension). However, the checklist that we submit with the paper app seems to indicate that we should submit an IMM 5401. Since we've paid online, we don't have an IMM 5401, we have the online receipt, which we're submitting. Will CIC not accept this?

Given that we've paid them, and have proof of payment, I don't see why they should reject the application on this basis. But I have learnt to be very wary with CIC. :(

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
So I've sent this application by registered mail requiring a signature. I guess I'll know if it reaches them. However, do they acknowledge receipt in any other way? Do we receive an application number, UCI, or anything?

SenoritaBella

VIP Member
Jan 2, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Dakar
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-01-2014
AOR Received.
12-02-2014
File Transfer...
25-02-2014
Med's Request
02-11-2015
Med's Done....
18-09-2013
Passport Req..
02-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
hopefully soon
LANDED..........
hopefully soon
They do not acknowledge in any other way, you already have a client ID. The tracking envelope will let you know it got there. When you pay the fee online, it allows you to print the receipt and there is a place to enter your full name and address. Include that with your application.

begaana

Jun 5, 2012
Thank you SenoritaBella, it's so nice to get a reply from someone who seems to know what they're talking about.