+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit to home country before expiry of PR card

vikram100185

Jul 25, 2017
Hello,

My PR card expires on 18th July 2023. I do not meet RO although I have been living in Canada for the last 1 yr , didn't travel anywhere. Plus I am settled here with a job, filed taxes , got an apartment etc.

For some important reasons , I need to travel for a week in May to visit my parents back home. What are the chances of getting reported in my case for a removal order ?

Thanks

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
Nobody can tell you what your chances are. It depends on your circumstances for not meeting your RO, and whether or not they will qualify as H&C reasons.

The fact that your PR card is close to expiry may lead to further questions at the border, which can lead to a removal order. Another important factor is what happened at the border when you returned to Canada last year. It's possible that the CBSA agent may have left a note in your file that highlights your potential non-compliance with the RO, which would almost certainly lead to you being referred to secondary inspection and extensive questioning about your compliance when you return from your planned trip.

The only safe way is not to travel until you are in compliance again.

Reactions: Ponga

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

My PR card expires on 18th July 2023. I do not meet RO although I have been living in Canada for the last 1 yr , didn't travel anywhere. Plus I am settled here with a job, filed taxes , got an apartment etc.

For some important reasons , I need to travel for a week in May to visit my parents back home. What are the chances of getting reported in my case for a removal order ?

Thanks
Do you currently only have one year [total] towards the R.O.?

As @Besram mentioned, there's no way of knowing what, if anything, will happen when you see the CBSA officer. If you are returning by air and will be using the PIK machine at the airport, that may be a marginal help, since you will only deal with a CBSA officer when you hand them the receipt from the kiosk. It's possible that you will just be waived through, no questions asked. But...it's never a guarantee. You could even be selected for a random Secondary inspection, where I suspect R.O. compliance questions can certainly come up.

Just be prepared to be questioned and hope that you are not. It's really all that you can do.