+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visit my wife - Permanent resident status.

Alberto70

Star Member
Nov 6, 2011
Hi all,

I hope that somebody can answer to my questions/doubts :-[

1st Question:
on April I obtained the status of Permanent Resident, I activated my Confirmation of Permanent Resident at the Toronto Airport border.
The VO has stapled the copy of the COPR on a passport page.
Please note that I am not established yet in Canada and I visit my wife only for a short period.

The last week I received the PR card and now I'd like to ask you if it is needed that my wife has to send to me the card or I can entry in Canada with my passport + COPR stapled.
I am Italian so it is not necessary any type of temporary visit authorization, but I'm also afraid that (if I don't entry with the PR card) the days spent in Canada during the visit are not valid for the counter of the days to maintain the status of PR.

What do you think?
N.B. I want to avoid the ship of the PR Card.

2nd Question:
In the http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=727&t=4 page is wrote:

Time spent outside Canada may also count towards the two years if you are:
- travelling with your spouse or partner who is a Canadian citizen,

What does it mean?
If my Canadian wife visit me in Italy (where at the moment I'm living), the days that she spent here are also counted for the amount of the two years or not?
How CIC is able to verify and take note of this?
We have to produce any type of documentation or it is done in automatically way (but I don't know how...)?

Thank you very much for any response :)
Best regards

Alberto

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
1 - you can probably enter with your COPR and passport as you're visa-exempt. The PR card is necessary for non-visa-exempt as most airlines will not let anybody board a plane without a valid visa - but you won't have that issue. Once you get at the border in Canada, just explain that your PR card is in Canada and you will pick it up, and show your passport + COPR, the officer should also be able to verify the info on the computer.

2 - from what I understand ( haven't done it myself, as I'm a new PR too!), the person has to produce evidence of travels and days spent together when applying for PR. So : you became a PR in April 2013, you will have to renew your PR status in 5 years - April 2018. a few months before, you will have to fill out a form, and produce proofs of days spent in Canada + list all employments for the last 5 years, as well as plane tickets and border stamps that show that you were in and out of Canada. It's a good idea to start collecting the evidence already now, so when you apply, you don't have to look for proofs etc.

Good luck,
Sweden

Sweden

VIP Member
Mar 31, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12/04/2012
File Transfer...
13/07/2012
Med's Done....
02/02/2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
05/11/12, received in Canada 19/11/12
LANDED..........
24/11/12, PR card received 30/01/12
Alberto70 said:
Thank you very much for the response!

So my proof collection is not ended :D

Thank youuu :) :)
I know - I thought the same :) but at least, this time I have a better idea of what I need to collect :) so I'm prepared when it comes to applying for PR renewal or citizenship...