+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visas on old surrendered Indian passport after Canadian citizenship

dogra223

Nov 15, 2023
Hello all. I had a doubt regarding the status of my active visas on my Indian passport. Once I surrender it after getting Canadian citizenship, will they be termed void? Can I still continue to use the cancelled Indian passports that have valid visas stamped on them but travel on my active Canadian passport?

dogra223

Nov 15, 2023
I do. I have a work visa for another country, that I am not sure how to port over to the Canadian passport

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I do. I have a work visa for another country, that I am not sure how to port over to the Canadian passport
You'll have to inquire of that country, but since your Indian passport has been cancelled, on its own any visas in it are no longer useful. If you had a status card or something separate, perhaps, but in many countries a status card may be linked to the passport/nationality.

Again: inquire of the country you have the work visa from.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Got it. Thanks for the advice
I will note one thing separately: some countries might accept an old visa or similar in a cancelled passport IF the bearer is using a new/renewed passport of that same country. Your situation is quite a bit different, as now holding a passport of a different nationality.

[I leave aside the issue that a friend once had, of being asked to 'prove' that the person of name XYZ and birthdate YYMMDD of citizenship AA is the 'same' person named XYZ of citizenship BB. Short form, there is basically no entity anywhere in the word that will make such an attestation or outright state such a thing, only the logic that since they both refer to the same place and date of birth and name and photograph, it probably and obviously IS the same person. And this was a G7 country (not Canada) making this ridiculous demand].