+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa to USA for Canadian permanent residents

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
You can apply for a multiple entry non immigrant US visa B1/B2 and if you are approved, it is typically 120 months (10 years);
As I wrote earlier, the consular officer will look at the overall picture in his/her decision to grant or reject the visa application based on ties to Canada such as a job, family etc.

Rossei

Champion Member
Jun 6, 2010
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Buffalo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
18-Jan-2011 (Buffalo)
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
26-Nov-2010
AOR Received.
21-Jul-2011 (Email)
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
25-Jul-2011 (Reg. Mail)
Med's Done....
03-Aug-2011
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
08-Sep-2011 (Email)
VISA ISSUED...
20-Sep-2011 (Buffalo)
LANDED..........
20-Sep-2011 (Niagara)
I really don't think US Visa from Canada depends on jobs or ties.

As I posted long back in 2011 in this topic, my wife applied for US B1/B2 and received 10-year valid visa. She is an IMG (Int'l Medical Grad) and was/is unemployed. During her interview, the VO had very friendly conversation with my wife re: her medical career and future plans. But I agree that her online application was all backed up by my job/income.

More recently in mid 2013, my wife's friend came with her family to Windsor as new immigrants. Both husband and wife are IMG's and they have a 5-year old daughter. They brought quite a bit of cash and obviously unemployed in Canada. All of them applied for B1/B2 just after 3 months of landing and got 10-year visa. Though I told them what to say/ what not to say; I was kind of surprised as well that they got visa w/o any delay. FYI, US has better chances for foreign doctors to settle down than Canada has.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
I think they look at the overall picture.
Similar thing happened to me as well. I applied for a US visa after arriving in Canada as PR. I was still unemployed. I just took my bank statement just in case but the consular officer didn't ask me anything about my finances. I studied both undergraduate and graduate studies in the US and worked in the US. Also, my wife is a US citizen. The consular officer was friendly and told me that I was approved for B1/B2 visa.

I have a friend who just arrived as PR and applied for a B1/B2 visa and he was also unemployed and but he had quite a bit of savings and took his bank statement with him and the consular officer didn't approve his visa application.

I studied in international affairs school in the US and some of my friends from school are US diplomats including consular officers. I am basically wrote earlier what they had told me.

Dejaavu

Aug 17, 2013
"What are considered strong ties to my home country?

Ties are the various aspects of your life that bind you to your home country. Strong ties vary from country to country, city to city, and person to person, but examples include:

Your job;
Your home; and/or
Your relationships with family and friends.

While conducting visa interviews, consular officers look at each application individually and consider the applicant's circumstances, travel plans, financial resources, and ties outside of the United States that will ensure the applicant’s departure after a temporary visit.'

Ttcdfolk

Star Member
Dec 19, 2012
Hong Kong
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-11-2012
AOR Received.
01-12-2012
Med's Done....
15-10-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
08-02-2013
LANDED..........
07-07-2013
I was also wondering what are the approval rates, for a Canadian pr?

canadian guy

Dec 31, 2013
hi everyone ,

i,m new permanent resident in canada . i got my pr card last week . i plan to go to usa visit my parents for a week pls let me know whats document i need to show in us consulate .

thanks and good luck everyone

pc23

Sep 23, 2012
Hello,
My husband just landed 2 days ago as PR under spousal category in Canada. How long should he wait before he can apply for a US visitor visa? we have a lot of family that lives in USA and we want to visit them. Also I am a Canadian citizen for many years now.

Would he need his PR Card to apply for his US Visa?

ll14

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
US
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-06-2014
Nomination.....
08-10-2014
AOR Received.
No AOR
File Transfer...
04-11-2014
Med's Request
10-11-2014
Med's Done....
11-11-2014 medical status: 30-11-2014
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-01-2015
VISA ISSUED...
2-2-2015
LANDED..........
10-04-2015
hi thanks for the good thread

Hi I have a question regarding US work visa from canada .. after getting PR Can I apply for us work visa if I have a solid US work offer ?

pls help on this ..
thanks

lokyy

Jun 10, 2014
Miami, Florida
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17-11-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
11-11-2014
Interview........
Waved
Passport Req..
08-11-2015
VISA ISSUED...
next week
LANDED..........
next week :)
HI,
Being a Canadian Permanent Resident does grant you visa-free to certain countries regardless of where you are from,,just in case you guys need to know:

A Canadian PR Card holder, in general may travel visa-free to the following countries: Aruba, the Bahamas,Bermuda, Caribbean Netherlands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Curaçao, the Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Honduras, Jamaica, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Sint Maarten (Dutch part of the island), Trinidad and Tobago
Under present rules, UK allows permanent Canadian residents with valid PR card issued after 2002 to transit without visa under TWOV program..

abdulqayyum

Dec 22, 2013
Hi,
I am canadian PR for 1.5 years, i am doing a job for last 1 year as contractor in IT and i plan to have 10 years (multiple entry) visa of US, i have family, house rent lease agreement, car lease agreement, bank statement (which is not very high number), i have no plan to live in US, only i plan short trips for vacations and seeing relatives over there. what are the chances of getting B1/B2 visa?

Thanks.

Jakev

Champion Member
Sep 22, 2017
NOC Code......
0114 and 0125
AOR Received.
14-11-2017
Hi,
I am canadian PR for 1.5 years, i am doing a job for last 1 year as contractor in IT and i plan to have 10 years (multiple entry) visa of US, i have family, house rent lease agreement, car lease agreement, bank statement (which is not very high number), i have no plan to live in US, only i plan short trips for vacations and seeing relatives over there. what are the chances of getting B1/B2 visa?

Thanks.
Over 95% likelihood of success.

Mar 22, 2018
Hello friends. Need some suggestion.

I lived with my family in USA from Jul-2012 to Sep-2018 thru H1B visa. My daughter was born in USA during that time and she is an USA citizen. After that I had to go back to my home country as H1B visa expired. Then by Apr-2019 I got Canadian PR approved and landed in Canada. I am thinking to go back to USA to visit my friends.

1) Can I apply for USA visitor visa now as its only 7 months after I last exited USA. Will there be any problem because of the short duration in which I am applying for visa to go back to USA.
2) What documents/ties should I show to ensure my return back to Canada
3) Is there any website that lists out the details of visitor visa process and steps to be followed for Canadian PR holders.

Thanks!!

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hello friends. Need some suggestion.

I lived with my family in USA from Jul-2012 to Sep-2018 thru H1B visa. My daughter was born in USA during that time and she is an USA citizen. After that I had to go back to my home country as H1B visa expired. Then by Apr-2019 I got Canadian PR approved and landed in Canada. I am thinking to go back to USA to visit my friends.

1) Can I apply for USA visitor visa now as its only 7 months after I last exited USA. Will there be any problem because of the short duration in which I am applying for visa to go back to USA.
2) What documents/ties should I show to ensure my return back to Canada
3) Is there any website that lists out the details of visitor visa process and steps to be followed for Canadian PR holders.

Thanks!!
1)whether is the right time to apply for a new visit visa only US immigration can answer that so you will only find out when turning up for the interview assuming not from a visa waiver country. Given you spent 7 years in the US you may get more scrutiny both at a visa interview and also when entering the US, no way to predict although given you have all that history legally in the US might be seen as a positive

2)depends when you are going but if you have your PR card and a drivers licence or even a health card or a bank statement or anything with a Canadian residential address as backup.All those things can help if required plus a return ticket when actually travelling if flying or any other commercial transport, but only maybe an itinerary for the visa application..

If you are flying to/from the US or travelling by any commercial transport you cannot do that without a PR card or PRTD given you would not be able to board the plane back.

3)Being a Canadian PR holder is sort of irrelevant as it is the country of your passport and travel history that tends to mostly determine the US attitude to issuing a visa, Establishing a residence in Canada provides a reason for why your intent is not to stay in the US but passport and travel history would be the deciding factor so provide all details about H1B and previous US entry/exists if requested

https://ca.usembassy.gov/visas/

Last edited: