+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

visa in old passport

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
Hi all,

I have renewed my passport and my TRV is in my old one. I would like to know whether anybody here knows if I can still use my current TRV (which is still valid and has not expired) to enter Canada (I will take my current passport and my old one which contains the visa while traveling).

However, the catch is that I renewed my passport a couple of months ago while it still had two years before its expiration date, because I was applying for a PR, which takes about two years or so, and I didn't want to go through the passport renewal process which would involve updating my PR application with CIC regarding my new passport, etc. (which would add time to the PR application process). My country allows passport renewals way in advance of their expiration date. So I did it.

Now I want to travel, and I'd like to know if I can use my TRV (on my old passport) to enter Canada, given that my (old) passport still has two years before it expires.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/enf/enf04-eng.pdf part 13.15 says that valid visas on expired passports are still valid, but I'm not sure what my situation is! The embassy issuing my passport has cut the corner of the first page of my passport, so it's not valid anymore (as in, I can't travel with it), but the visa is still intact and valid. So, is my old passport it considered "expired" or ...? Does it fall under part 13.15 above?

Any ideas?

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
darxider said:
I have renewed my passport and my TRV is in my old one. I would like to know whether anybody here knows if I can still use my current TRV (which is still valid and has not expired) to enter Canada (I will take my current passport and my old one which contains the visa while traveling).
Yes.

Carry both, hand both to the CBSA officer on entry.

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
thanks for your reply.

i know that i have to carry both and hand them over to the officer. but concern was actually the second paragraph of my original post. my question was whether it matters that my old passport was still valid for two years when i renewed it and whether now it would still fall under the "expired" category mentioned in the PDF above.

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
anybody?

fyi, i know i should take both passports when traveling. my question is regarding the date of validity of my old passport (which has the TRV) at the time of renewing/getting a new passport.

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
hey guys,

sorry for bumping the post...but i really am confused about this.

i know i have to take both passports IF i go...BUT:
my old passport, when i renewed it, was not going to expire anytime soon (it was going to expire in 2017; see the OP for the reason for renewing it). the ENF04 document by CIC talks about valid visas on "expired" passports. and i am not sure if i fall under that category or not.

what is the definition of an "expired" passport?
any advice?

jbjc

Jul 11, 2015
Expired means out of date,therefore TRV in your old passport is valid until old passport is not expired (2017) whichever will comes first

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
i know what the word "expired" means. i'm asking whether my old passport (which was valid until 2017) but which i cannot use anymore to travel (because i was issued a new one) is now considered "expired" or whether it is now considered "invalid".

according to the ENF04 document, a valid visa in an "expired" passport is still valid for entering Canada, but a visa in an "invalid" passport is no longer valid for entering Canada.

i understand that when one renews their passport, there could be a couple of months of overlap between the validity of the old one and the issue data of the new one (because people usually renew their passports before they are expired), but in my case, that overlap is 2 years. and so my question is whether that makes a difference or not.

jbjc

Jul 11, 2015
yes i understand your point from the beginning,same as the other people who reply here.Dont think too much cause its very simple

the counterfoil can still be used since the
expiration of the passport has no effect on the visa's validity.
Holders of a valid visa may continue
to use their visa until the date it expires even if the visa is in an expired passport.

Dont get confuse with expired and invalid,as both means that your have new passport and no longer using that old one.

Vij76

Aug 25, 2015
Hi,

Have you now entered into Canada with your VISA stamped in old passport?

My wife's passport has a valid visa till Jan'2016. However we have renewed her passport last month. So her Canada VISA is now in old passport. In this case, will they allow to enter into Canada when show both old and new passports to them?

Please let me know what was your experience when you entered into Canada?

darxider

Star Member
Aug 9, 2013
sent you a PM, but will reply so others see it as well.

i was able to enter back into Canada with my two passports. there was absolutely no problem at the border.

Reactions: tinzzz

teja87

May 18, 2017
Hello,

Same question!

I have a Valid visitor visa (TRV) till December 2017. My passport will expire in December 25 2017, I renewed my passport and I received my new passport. I am planning to visit Alberta, Canada with my Fiance on July 1 2017 to give her a surprise proposal/engagement. It will be a 4 day trip.
Could you please let me know if I can travel with Valid visa on my Old passport along with my New Passport? or should I need to apply for a new visitor visa again?

Note: We will be flying not Driving.

Kind regards,
Arun

joj

Jun 28, 2017
Hi I also have a similar situation. My student visa is valid till august last. My passport pages ran out, so applying for new one.
- the PDF 13.15, seems to change. there is no mention of your quote. I hope the rule dont change
- as per your experience, what other things do we need for re-entry.
Thank you