+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Visa for Intern

yqzjs

Mar 21, 2014
I am current a student in China.
I have got a chance to study in a university(Quebec) as an intern(full-time study on campus, got scholarship from Canadian university) for about 4-month.

I was confused by various visa. Should I apply for a visitor visa? work permit? study permit?
I have some information about these different kinds of visa:
Visitor visa,
Certain international students who want to take courses in a program that will be completed in less than 6 months may have the option of studying without a Certificate of Acceptance (CAQ) and Study Permit. From mcgill international website.
Study permit,
I need to go to the registrar's office to complete my enrollment.
Work permit,
I do receive a scholarship from Canadian university.

Which kind of visa should I apply for?
If I need to apply for a study/work permit, what documents should I have? I am now only have an invitation letter.
Thanks!

Hpanjola69

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
I think you should apply for a visitor visa rather than study visa. Please check CIC website for more information.

yqzjs

Mar 21, 2014
Hpanjola69 said:
I think you should apply for a visitor visa rather than study visa. Please check CIC website for more information.
Thanks, I have checked on CIC website. I do have receive a scholarship from Canada university.
If I apply of visitor visa, I am afraid they will reject my application.
I have no idea about which one should I apply. However, thanks very much!

TomvdM

Apr 8, 2014
I don't know if you figured it out yet.

I was rejected at the immagration office in montreal because I did not have a work permit to do an internship. So if you do an internship at a research lab you'lll need a work permit. At least, thats what they told me at immigration.

vipsv

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
You need to get a study permit and then you must apply for co-op work permit.(only if u are going to study in Montreal too)...
Else if you are coming here to do internship or co -op, you must apply for a work -permit.. As you are not from visa exempt country, visitor visa will not work in your case.